News Forum - Phuket child prostitution scandal: Entertainment venues lose 100 million baht

Thaiger

In the wake of a child prostitution scandal in Phuket, several entertainment venues have lost 100 million baht. Local authorities ordered the early closure of bars, restaurants, and adult entertainment establishments, following the discovery of underage girls being employed at Velvet bar in Phuket to engage in sexual activity with foreigners. The venues were ordered …

The story Phuket child prostitution scandal: Entertainment venues lose 100 million baht as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

If this was just one of several bars and restaurants all under the same operator,  why weren't they all raided at the same time?  A can of worms too far?

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Grumpish said:

If this was just one of several bars and restaurants all under the same operator,  why weren't they all raided at the same time?  A can of worms too far?

One would think that if he and his partners allowed it then they also partook in as they probably saw it as tasting the forbidden fruit with immunity. For me I see this as avoiding the plague and doing the right thing. 

• Like 1

What perplexes me—as a dude who's been coming here since 1986, now retired here for the past 3+ years—is what in the hell is the thing with younger than 18? There aren't enough 18 and over, fer chrissakes?

I mean, even when I was all over the place in SE Asia in the 80s and 90s (lived in Japan), in my early and mid-20s, what would have been the allure of chicks under 18 anyway? Even 20 was a bit annoyingly young and immature, usually.

I just don't get it

• Like 2

So, because one (or a few) venues offered underage sex for money, they shut down the entire area, punishing every business and every patron?

How junior high.

3 hours ago, RNikoley said:

What perplexes me—as a dude who's been coming here since 1986, now retired here for the past 3+ years—is what in the hell is the thing with younger than 18? There aren't enough 18 and over, fer chrissakes?

I mean, even when I was all over the place in SE Asia in the 80s and 90s (lived in Japan), in my early and mid-20s, what would have been the allure of chicks under 18 anyway? Even 20 was a bit annoyingly young and immature, usually.

I just don't get it

I officially declare you to be socially normal.

It is the mentally ill that enjoy hurting children.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, MrStretch said:

So, because one (or a few) venues offered underage sex for money, they shut down the entire area, punishing every business and every patron?

How junior high.

Sometimes on surface you see a little spot but underneath is rot. 

Drastic but something that needs to be stopped.  Doesn't happen often in Thailand, but maybe the revulsion of this practice deserves the added attention.

Throw in a thought, the innocent businesses knew what was going on but shut up.🙃

• Like 2

Girls pre-puberty certainly off limits

Older girls say below 15 also need legal protection from males and themselves.

However, Age of consent everywhere is highly arbitrary.

Nature determines girls fully ready to physically procreate aged 13-14.

Consent Age is 15, and 16 for Marriage, in many advanced western nations / areas.

Village Thai Girls are majorly at it like rabbits aged 13 onwards.

No real enforcement in Thailand of absurdly old  “legal “ consent  age 18.

YET the puritan expat brigade up in arms when 18 age “barrier” broken.

Get angry about important issues here like 20,000 Thai kids 11-19 KILLED every year by motorbike accidents.

Or lamentable state Education system or very poor Drainage & Sewage or Off Scale City Pollution.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, MrStretch said:

How junior high.

Since everyone is/was knowing it, everyone is paying the BiBs, everyone is at fault. They just punish now for not enough brown envelopes? Or bigger one, in the future?

55 minutes ago, oldschooler said:

Consent Age is 15, and 16 for Marriage, in many advanced western nations / areas.

Get angry about important issues here like 20,000 Thai kids 11-19 KILLED every year by motorbike accidents.

Or lamentable state Education system or very poor Drainage & Sewage or Off Scale City Pollution.

If I remember right, the legal consent age is  15, in Thailand.

The "effective" age of consent is 18. 

But as long the parents are ok with the rich old Farang, who likes the 15/16 years old girl, no one, usually, interrupts the flow. 

1 hour ago, oldschooler said:

The problem with AoC laws, is that it operates on the basis, that one size fits all. 

I take your point about village girls, but I do think that a sexually active 13 year old is at far greater risk from a predatory sex tourist, than she is from some sleaze , who is likely to get her pregnant and abandon her. If someone's tastes are for 13 year olds, she will soon be past her sell by date, and possibly pregnant too. For those who enjoy the fruits of the cradle, rapid abandonment is what these girls face, no matter what promises he has made.

1 hour ago, Guest1 said:

If I remember right, the legal consent age is  15, in Thailand.

The "effective" age of consent is 18. 

But as long the parents are ok with the rich old Farang, who likes the 15/16 years old girl, no one, usually, interrupts the flow. 

Yes . Root Causes of early promiscuity are Complex but still somewhat under Substantial Parental Control BUT getting internally trafficked for Cash, and certainly acquiring a motorbike at 11-12 for Parent Convenience, is 100% Parental Permission ! 
Motorbike will highly probably kill her far more quickly and surely though than Prostitution. 

55 minutes ago, JohninDublin said:

The problem with AoC laws, is that it operates on the basis, that one size fits all. 

I take your point about village girls, but I do think that a sexually active 13 year old is at far greater risk from a predatory sex tourist, than she is from some sleaze , who is likely to get her pregnant and abandon her. If someone's tastes are for 13 year olds, she will soon be past her sell by date, and possibly pregnant too. For those who enjoy the fruits of the cradle, rapid abandonment is what these girls face, no matter what promises he has made.

Yes and big difference between young love and getting your pussy trafficked for income by your Parents but getting raped / pregnant in village by Uncle Ernie types is possibly a larger risk / danger in Parents Minds …. ? 

17 hours ago, oldschooler said:

No one is up in arms as it is basically age limitation. But the foreigner owner doing this also makes us look bad even though it is a common occurrence with-in their own society. I personally don't care as in if the girl is over 15 or 16 and wants to work like that then who cares. But it is the law so that is where I need to draw that line. No Glitter in procuring underage girls, only a ticket to breaking the law. 

1 hour ago, HolyCowCm said:

No one is up in arms as it is basically age limitation. But the foreigner owner doing this also makes us look bad even though it is a common occurrence with-in their own society. I personally don't care as in if the girl is over 15 or 16 and wants to work like that then who cares. But it is the law so that is where I need to draw that line. No Glitter in procuring underage girls, only a ticket to breaking the law. 

There are no laws here that cannot be circumvented by culture -cash -connections.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, oldschooler said:

There are no laws here that cannot be circumvented by culture -cash -connections.

So these are discretionary arrests? The reason they get busted is that there are organizations that go in under cover to find the perpetrators. Once they are uncovered then the police have no choice of the matter. But until they are discovered then probably nothing is said.

19 hours ago, oldschooler said:

How on earth the biggest ignominy that a society faces, that is underage prostitution and pedocriminality, is not THE most important issue? Who do you want to protect in a society if not kids, cause that is what these young girls are. In your comment, you seem to forget that we are talking about that here, the majority of them are forced to do so. And who do you think are using these girls? Pedophiles from around the world. Do you think a 15/16 years old girl has for dreams to have sex with old fat disgusting pedophiles? You can all constantly enjoy your Thai bashing on any subject, sometimes I agree, but that something, anything, is done to at least save a few girls from this hell is a fantastic news. End of.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, HolyCowCm said:

F*** the law!!!

"Who cares"??????? So for you, a 15 / 16 years old girl is mature enough to decide what is right or wrong? If she decides to do so then, well it is ok for you, the middle-age man, no moral issue at all? Is it what you mean?? Those are kids and grown men should, as normal moral human beings and since they are the adults, that it is them who has to see the right and wrong, not those kids. Not sure how anyone could argue with that....apart from the millions of pedophiles worldwide, that is.

21 minutes ago, Manu said:

F*** the law!!!

"Who cares"??????? So for you, a 15 / 16 years old girl is mature enough to decide what is right or wrong? If she decides to do so then, well it is ok for you, the middle-age man, no moral issue at all? Is it what you mean?? Those are kids and grown men should, as normal moral human beings and since they are the adults, that it is them who has to see the right and wrong, not those kids. Not sure how anyone could argue with that....apart from the millions of pedophiles worldwide, that is.

It is the law and therefore the whole subject is irrelevant as these below 18 year old girls are not able to do so legally. Thailand protects their kids but many countries do not. I for one would never go there and have zero desire. So you are against child marriages too? If you are not then you should be because they are quite common in some places. 

22 hours ago, MrStretch said:

How junior high.

It is a smart move because now all eyes will be on any girls that look too young to be in adult orientated complex. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Manu said:

How on earth the biggest ignominy that a society faces, that is underage prostitution and pedocriminality, is not THE most important issue? Who do you want to protect in a society if not kids, cause that is what these young girls are. In your comment, you seem to forget that we are talking about that here, the majority of them are forced to do so. And who do you think are using these girls? Pedophiles from around the world. Do you think a 15/16 years old girl has for dreams to have sex with old fat disgusting pedophiles? You can all constantly enjoy your Thai bashing on any subject, sometimes I agree, but that something, anything, is done to at least save a few girls from this hell is a fantastic news. End of.

Thai Culture and Parental Failure condemns Young Poor Thai Girls In this way just as it causes those kids’ road deaths and other systemic societal failures here. Will never change. Contemptuous Culture and People with very few exceptions. Not here to teach them Humanity and Civilized Western Standards. Cheap and Hot does it for me ! 😎👍

11 hours ago, HolyCowCm said:

So these are discretionary arrests? The reason they get busted is that there are organizations that go in under cover to find the perpetrators. Once they are uncovered then the police have no choice of the matter. But until they are discovered then probably nothing is said.

Exactly So. Every year an honorable but tokenistic task force activity is conducted, selectively upon foreigners only of course, to display that “ look the law is being enforced by our wonderful police”. UK London “Met” Police would recognize this practice of course….😩😠

13 hours ago, HolyCowCm said:

Actually, there is a nice place in Rawai, German Owner, where they could find "same, same". But he is assumingly sending manila envelopes every month to Chalong Station!

On 3/21/2023 at 11:01 AM, HolyCowCm said:

It is the law and therefore the whole subject is irrelevant as these below 18 year old girls are not able to do so legally. Thailand protects their kids but many countries do not. I for one would never go there and have zero desire.

That's fine. But this is this sentence you wrote that makes me somehow jump and then replying to you: "I personally don't care as in if the girl is over 15 or 16 and wants to work like that then who cares."

However my bad, I have to admit that I completely overlooked the word "over" in that sentence, which gives obviously a complete different meaning.

But indeed Thailand is protecting their kids. In the 70s, Thailand was the place to be for pedophiles around the world. Thailand did the right thing to put this issue right over the years, showing that they placed this issue "rightly" as (at least) one of the most important ones.

So you are against child marriages too? If you are not then you should be because they are quite common in some places. 

I am surprised you are asking. How can I write these 2 comments on this topic and be in favour of that?? A grown man marrying a child is nothing else than a pedophile, regardless of the law, especially when the law is run by pedophiles themselves. Hence my first sentence to my reply to you "f*** the law!". Culture and "traditions" have nothing to do with that. And then of course religion, when taken to a political level with fundamental interpretations is doing dramatic damages. Extreme poverty and lack of education doing the rest. The thing is, many men are not doing this, and fight against it, risking huge troubles and sometimes their lives for speaking out in their countries, something unfortunately that is not talked very much about in the outside world. However this issue will probably be changed by women. The brave women movements in Iran and even in Afganistan, followed by a huge amount of young men (well in Iran mostly) although the huge risks they are taking, show us that the young generation aspire for something else. After all, women did it in many places around the world, it did not happen in a day or 2 in Europe for example, I have hope that eventually it will be the case also in those countries. Equality of rights between men and women means a change of mentality and therefore aspiration and eventually the law. No women, or at least pratically all women, would be in favour of child marriage. Then it will also become a norm of seeing a grown man engaging with a child as it is: nothing else than a pedophile who should be stopped. There is a very tough battle ahead around the globe though, especially when you realise that even in Europe, 1 of 5 children have experienced at some point some kind of sexual abuse.( https://human-rights-channel.coe.int/stop-child-sexual-abuse-in-sport-en.html). So again, hence I wrote "f*** the law". Law or not, pedophiles are everywhere! And this mentality of normality and impunity have still a long way to go before being changed and stopped, even in the western world.

On 3/21/2023 at 9:07 PM, oldschooler said:

Thai Culture and Parental Failure condemns Young Poor Thai Girls In this way just as it causes those kids’ road deaths and other systemic societal failures here. Will never change. Contemptuous Culture and People with very few exceptions. Not here to teach them Humanity and Civilized Western Standards. Cheap and Hot does it for me ! 😎👍

Yes, you are obviously not familiar with the concept of humanity.

As for "civilised western standards", do you mean this?

About one in five children in Europe are victims of some form of sexual violence.

This includes sexual touching, rape, sexual harassment, grooming, exhibitionism, exploitation in prostitution and pornography, online sexual extortion and coercion…

https://human-rights-channel.coe.int/stop-child-sexual-abuse-in-sport-en.html

"Civilised western world" indeed!!