News Forum - Bali to ban foreigners from renting motorbikes

Thaiger

Governor of the Indonesian island of Bali, I Wayan Koster, said that foreigners will soon be banned from renting motorbikes and scooters on the island. He said he will request all motorbike rental shops to ban foreigners from using their services. The governor has had enough of foreign tourists violating traffic rules… “As tourists, act as …

The story Bali to ban foreigners from renting motorbikes as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

"Russian tourist Alexander Ivanov said that if Indonesia makes it hard for Russians and Ukrainians, they will just go to Thailand or elsewhere in Southeast Asia instead."

Oh, great.  More of those high class tourists the TAT is clamoring for.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Thailand should ban Thais . I was in Phuket got a bike and helmet forgot helmet in a travel shop went back for it inside 3 minutes was fined 400 baht  in 2004. Then you see 4 on a bike no helmets, babies in arms.  police are also guilty . Bikes travelling wrong way towards you ,on pavements etc......etc. 

• Like 5

This is a good move to nip in the bud. It saves a lot including the lives of other road users. If Russians and Ukrainians wanted to die, then let them go back to their own country and kill each other. Just don't die on another country or kill someone due to their arrogant nature and make life difficult to others. 

• Like 1

To be honest, if I were just a regular tourist(didnt need to go to see family)

I would not go to Thailand if I couldn't rent a MB

It is a huge part of my trip and I love it

It wouldn't make a lot of difference in Thailand, with the appalling driving standards of most Thais  - be it in a car or on a motorcycle. I suspect a lot of tourists have never driven a motorcycle before and look at the locals and think that that is how it is supposed to be done. I have held a full UK motorcycle licence since I was 16yrs old,  but don't think I was ever anywhere near as bad as an awful lot of the people that I see riding motorcycles in Thailand. 

• Like 1

Why is everyone connecting Thailand to it? Bali is not even all Indonesia. And I am certain, money will rule that option out. The small rental operations, private people , would suffer.

But they could start with fining rental businesses, renting to people without a valid license. But that was not even on the menue, just the complain that people renting and driving without

• Like 1

Well, I would just get and IDP based on my Thai bike license. They should not be able to decline anyone truly licensed. Now not wearing a shirt then just arrest them. I have always worn clothing while riding. The Bali Governor is exhibiting bozo racist traits. 

A friend suggested we rent motorbikes the next time we go to Thailand. I said "no, we drink too much". I have a motorcycle endorsement and he doesn't. He also has a PhD, so he's not too smart or reliable.

Please comment on this YouTube video from the South China Post - 'Bali plans to end visas-on-arrival for Russian and Ukrainian tourists after series of violations'

Lol. "Should Thailand follow in Bali's footsteps?" No, absolutely not and it won't, so why ask?

My understanding is that many rental shops in tourist areas don't even rent out bikes to Thais due to poor driving standards, arguments with the shop owners if there's any damage and the higher possibility of a bike being stolen. In essence, 100% of their clientele are foreigners. In other areas and where shops do rent out bikes to locals, the vast majority of their clientele are still foreigners and since it's their country where they reside, most Thais don't need to rent vehicles, they have their own.

Myanmar has a number of cities where motorcycle rentals are banned for foreigners (well, essentially for everyone in such cases) on either a permanent or an on/off basis depending on the city or region. This has never influenced Thailand one bit. Besides, Myanmar is a bit of a nanny state and overly paranoid when it comes to the safety of foreigners. Thailand simply doesn't have the same mentality and if they did, the tourism industry would be heavily impacted. Also, much of Myanmar is out of bounds to foreigners (this includes expats who are subjected to the same travel restrictions as tourists), something that simply doesn't apply to Thailand. 

Siem Reap, Cambodia has had an on/off motorcycle rental ban for tourists (not sure about expats) but recently I was there and this seems to have been lifted, judging by the large number of foreign tourists riding motorcycles and motorcycle rental shops advertising their services. Previously, one would have to be an expat or a tourist who hires a bike in Battambang or Phnom Penh then rides it to Siem Reap. Or use the popular practice of purchasing an old Vietnamese registered bike from another traveler, that is owned by some random Vietnamese person and brought across the border.

10 hours ago, Marc26 said:

I agree but don't know why you're worried. Thailand will never ban foreigners from renting motorcycles. Many shops actually don't rent out bikes to Thais. 

Bali might go ahead and do this, but Thailand won't. It's not that kind of country. Siem Reap and some Burmese cities have done this, but Thailand simply won't. 

10 hours ago, Guest1 said:

Why is everyone connecting Thailand to it? Bali is not even all Indonesia. And I am certain, money will rule that option out. The small rental operations, private people , would suffer.

But they could start with fining rental businesses, renting to people without a valid license. But that was not even on the menue, just the complain that people renting and driving without

They jumped on the last theoretical question. As I said in my other replies, this will never happen in Thailand.

Also, motorcycle rental bans for foreigners aren't exactly new in the region. Neighboring Siem Reap has done it on an on/off basis while some Myanmar cities do it too (notably Bagan, though there are e-bikes available for rent) and Dawei, because the local governor wet his pants after one foreigner had an accident (which wasn't even very serious) so he decided all foreigners should be banned from renting motorcycles there. Not sure whether the ban has since been lifted but it's probably not relevant since Myanmar is in a state of turmoil and some regions remain closed to foreigners or difficult to access. 

1 hour ago, Highlandman said:

I agree but don't know why you're worried. Thailand will never ban foreigners from renting motorcycles. Many shops actually don't rent out bikes to Thais. 

Bali might go ahead and do this, but Thailand won't. It's not that kind of country. Siem Reap and some Burmese cities have done this, but Thailand simply won't. 

I'm not worried 

It was just a hypothetical and more me stating how much riding a MB means to me in Thailand 

I really really love it

Siem Reap I just used a bicycle from my hotel 

Which was a great way to go around town 

Not been to Bali but based on what I've seen in the rest of South East Asia, I bet the locals don't obey the rules either.

But as always happens "Foreigners" (they might aswell go the whole hog and say "dirty foreigners") are pointed at because governments continue to push this derogatory term and image despite the fact they always want to attract more tourist money to prop up their corrupt institutions.

13 hours ago, Marc26 said:

I take it that you have the appropriate Licence, personal accident insurance and wear a helmet?  If so, great, its a wonderful way to get around (but too dangerous here in my view).  However, and its a big however, as the news shows us, a great many tourists have none of the above.  So good in Bali and Thailand should take note.,  Not to ban tourists but to make damn sure that the renters stick to the law. 

This problem would be solved if a governor was attached to each rental bike. I’m sure most tourists would be happy with this compromise.

16 hours ago, HolyCowCm said:

Well, I would just get and IDP based on my Thai bike license. They should not be able to decline anyone truly licensed. Now not wearing a shirt then just arrest them. I have always worn clothing while riding. The Bali Governor is exhibiting bozo racist traits. 

you don´t need an IDP, the Thai license is a ASEAN license, Indonesia is an ASEAN state. Like you don´t need an IDP in Europe, as long you have one of the "credit card" licenses from an EU country. It might need a bit talking, with police (in case they check), but it is all official, in ASEAN countries!

Oh, how is that, now, with the brit. licenses in Europe?

5 hours ago, Guest1 said:

you don´t need an IDP, the Thai license is a ASEAN license, Indonesia is an ASEAN state. Like you don´t need an IDP in Europe, as long you have one of the "credit card" licenses from an EU country. It might need a bit talking, with police (in case they check), but it is all official, in ASEAN countries!

Oh, how is that, now, with the brit. licenses in Europe?

Yeah but from another forum a long time ago, it was said they still want the palm greased. Fine they were saying was 250k rupia or about  550 baht. IDP is not that hard to get I would think for me here in CM. I went to Bali near 30 yrs ago and there was some corruption going on back then. Anyway seems the foreigner have left a little bit of a bad taste in the Bali officials and natives mouths. Understandable. They are already a bit uptight if is the same from what inexperienced 

9 hours ago, Pinetree said:

I take it that you have the appropriate Licence, personal accident insurance and wear a helmet?  If so, great, its a wonderful way to get around (but too dangerous here in my view).  However, and its a big however, as the news shows us, a great many tourists have none of the above.  So good in Bali and Thailand should take note.,  Not to ban tourists but to make damn sure that the renters stick to the law. 

Yes I have an IDP, 2 different inurances and actually, I think most rentals are giving actual proper helmets these days

I rented 3x and each time, had a nice proper safe helmet

I have the appropriate license

My own bike, full face helmet

You just got to keep your wits about you

And take it steady

Then you can enjoy the country side