News Forum - 2 men arrested for animal trafficking, over 100 carcasses seized

Thaiger

Two men were arrested yesterday in the central province of Suphan Buri for trafficking protected animals. The authorities seized over 100 carcasses of monitor lizards and turtles, making the largest number on record. Authorities from the Natural Resources and Environmental Crime Division, or Greencop, and U-Thong Police Station were notified that a house owner, later …

The story 2 men arrested for animal trafficking, over 100 carcasses seized as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

Let’s hope they get the maximum fine and the maximum prison sentence but I doubt it, as for monitor blood killing off cancer or Covid 19?? Seriously??? 

1 hour ago, Smiler said:

as for monitor blood killing off cancer or Covid 19?? Seriously??? 

If centuries ago some bystander had exclaimed "Seriously??" while someone was investigating the use of mould to cure (what were then) incurable diseases, I'm happy the investigator ignored it.

Given (and believing) that many natural products like wood dust, smoke, alcohol, aflatoxins (apparently produced by some fungi, which makes it natural), etc. promote cancer, I would find it unbelievable if there wouldn't be any natural products that have an active, opposite effect.

That doesn't mean anybody should believe that some substances in monitor lizard blood has beneficial effects (certainly not merely because of an advertising slogan). However, it also doesn't mean any such claim/hypothesis should be labeled "ridiculous" (merely because it's uttered).

It does mean it should be investigated. Once done, the effects or absence of them become knowledge and eventually understanding.

The only species I see named, in my quick scan of the item, is the common water monitor. This species, like all animals, deserves not to die for human superstitions and quackery. But it isn't endangered, being widespread, adaptable, and common, even in urban environments. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Karolyn said:

The only species I see named, in my quick scan of the item, is the common water monitor. This species, like all animals, deserves not to die for human superstitions and quackery. But it isn't endangered, being widespread, adaptable, and common, even in urban environments. 

The water monitor is one of the 4 species of monitor lizards native to Thailand. Thailand likes all-encompassing rules, hence all monitor lizards are protected here. Ignoring the question whether that's logically/morally right or wrong, the problem of studying them (or rather their substances) seems legitimate.