News Forum - Pattaya records yet another unwanted suicide statistic

Thaiger

17 minutes ago, Marc26 said:

The problem is many of those guys are in their predictament for a reason, so they aren't the most likeable people to befriend

True and I wasn’t suggesting befriending them as such. It’s amazing what someone taking the time to stop for 10 mins and share a few stories can do for people. There are indeed some strange people walking around places like Pattaya and you would need to be careful 

7 hours ago, Soidog said:

As you and @Marc26 both commented on, this is a major issue I feel for many expats in Thailand. For every successful expat-Thai relationship,

I think even a successful relationship can still have personal isolation issues

I have been lucky through the old Phuket-Info forum to meet many lifelong friends

I would say I have 30-40 good mates and 4-5 who I consider real friends from that forum

Even still they can't replace my real friends at home

I just don't have that same bond with them

But as @BJoe mentioned, having kids helps things

In 20-25 years time when flying back home frequently may not be viable, I should have grandkids in Thailand to focus on

24 minutes ago, Soidog said:

True and I wasn’t suggesting befriending them as such. It’s amazing what someone taking the time to stop for 10 mins and share a few stories can do for people. There are indeed some strange people walking around places like Pattaya and you would need to be careful 

I am sure you can tell, I am a chatty person :)

And I have met some great people in Thailand just by chatting in a bar

But I have met many, many more shady ones............but easy to move on from them quickly

You tend to suss the shady/miserable ones out pretty quick

• Like 2