News Forum - Canadian man’s luxury Pattaya villa gutted by fire

Thaiger

A fire gutted a Canadian man’s 20 million baht luxury villa in Pattaya, eastern Thailand, yesterday. Officers at Nong Prue Police Station were notified of a raging fire at a pool villa in Phu Thara village in Pattaya’s Bang Lamung district yesterday afternoon. Nong Prue Municipality firefighters deployed three fire engines and quickly got the …

The story Canadian man’s luxury Pattaya villa gutted by fire as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

Why do foreigners "own" and  purchase a house here, when they do not own the land it sits on? 

Makes no sense to me.  

Glad no one was hurt

1 hour ago, ExpatPattaya said:

Why do foreigners "own" and  purchase a house here, when they do not own the land it sits on? 

Makes no sense to me.  

Glad no one was hurt

I guess for some, it allows them to be more like home and no possibility of the landlord giving them notice. For others it’s a way of making sure their Thai partner has security if they die before them. There are also those who see the next 20 years of their life in Thailand and buying a house works out cheaper than renting. For others, it can lead to the loss of a significant amount of capital if things go wrong. I personally would never own a house in Thailand. I like to move around too much and when I’m told old and frail to do so, Thailand won’t be the place I rest my head.