Tokyo is almost crime free. 

From Google: 

Crime rates in Tokyo, Japan
Level of crime 21.08 Low
Problem people using or dealing drugs 24.83 Low
Problem property crimes such as vandalism and theft 23.77 Low
Problem violent crimes such as assault and armed robbery 21.36 Low
Problem corruption and bribery 30.57 Low

I read a book about a British woman on a work visa in Tokyo who was murdered about 20 years back. One of the reoccurring themes throughout the book was the ineptitude of the police handling her disappearance and ultimate demise. The take was, they simply weren’t used to dealing with major crimes such as the one before them.

2 minutes ago, Khunmark said:

I read a book about a British woman on a work visa in Tokyo who was murdered about 20 years back. One of the reoccurring themes throughout the book was the ineptitude of the police handling her disappearance and ultimate demise. The take was, they simply weren’t used to dealing with major crimes such as the one before them.

I remember that case. I guess that is always a danger in 'safe' locations, where senior Police officers can go through a whole career and never see, let alone investigate, a major crime.

2 hours ago, BigHewer said:

These lists are always fascinating for me. There’s a grain of truth to some of them but that’s all it is - a grain. It always depends on the parameters selected by the list makers. Add some other parameter and the order changes. 

How is Tokyo lower than so many cities? Why is Port-of-Spain near the bottom? I browse the list and wonder about the criteria rather than change my view per se.

Put all the cities in a bag and start pulling them out one by one . The list is unique to say the least. 

15 hours ago, socal said:

Like Bangkok, Pattaya, Phuket, Samui, Samet, Chang , Phi Phi ect ect ect. What is the appeal of crawling up there into the sticks ?

No Koh Tao? 

5 hours ago, Pinetree said:

That is not the point, nobody is saying the CM is not safe. The point is,  is it safer than all the other Cities in Asia.  Well, depending on how you define safe,  I can think of at least 30 Asian Cities that would be statistically  'safer' that CM, Discounting Singapore and Hong Kong, that are 'safer' , Japan has at least 15, Taiwan another 6 that I know of, that could be defined as safer than any in Thailand.  Thailand doesn't even come close 

Top 10 Safest Countries in Asia (2022 Global Peace Index)
  • Singapore — 1.326.
  • Japan — 1.336.
  • Malaysia — 1.471.
  • Bhutan — 1.481.
  • Qatar — 1.533.
  • Taiwan — 1.618.
  • Estonia — 1.662.
  • Kuwait — 1.739.

https://worldpopulationreview.com/country-rankings/safest-countries-in-asia

has been ranked as the safest city in Southeast Asia

4 hours ago, Pinetree said:

Tokyo is almost crime free. 

From Google: 

Crime rates in Tokyo, Japan
Level of crime 21.08 Low
Problem people using or dealing drugs 24.83 Low
Problem property crimes such as vandalism and theft 23.77 Low
Problem violent crimes such as assault and armed robbery 21.36 Low
Problem corruption and bribery 30.57 Low

I was blown away in Tokyo when I saw people going to work just leave their bikes outside unlocked, for seemingly, hours.....

One off-topic post removed. This thread is about safety in various cities relative to one another.

Let’s keep to the subject.

Regards,