News Forum - Chiang Mai ranked #1 city in Asia on safety index

Thaiger

The northern city of Chiang Mai in Thailand has been ranked as the safest city in Southeast Asia and 31st in the world, according to a recent report. The findings were published as the Crime Index and Safety Index by City 2023 by Numbeo, the largest crowd-sourced global database that tracks these statistics. Chiang Mai …

The story Chiang Mai ranked #1 city in Asia on safety index as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

1 hour ago, Havana said:

Not for long however, the Chinese are due to flood CM.

Lots here already and growing. If you mean they will be targets then who knows. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Pinetree said:

HaHaHa good one guys. I just love fairytales. 

Why would it be a fairytale?

I've been to CM quite a bit and never felt unsafe 

Never even felt the need to feel on guard, actually 

And if I am thinking of all my travels in SEA

I'd guess CM is one of more affluent cites in SEA so you don't really need to worry about some of the petty theft that you may need to worry about in other cities 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Soidog said:

Well, plenty of other places to go then. Enjoy. 

Like Bangkok, Pattaya, Phuket, Samui, Samet, Chang , Phi Phi ect ect ect. What is the appeal of crawling up there into the sticks ?

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, socal said:

Like Bangkok, Pattaya, Phuket, Samui, Samet, Chang , Phi Phi ect ect ect. What is the appeal of crawling up there into the sticks ?

Well you have presumably been and made your choice. That’s what’s so good about life. You are free to choose. 

2 hours ago, socal said:

Some people prefer a mountain setting over a beach setting 

Or some just to like to experience both settings

My Thai family, all of them, have commented on numeric trips how polite Thais in CM are

It's way more laid back than any of those places you mention 

And for me, from my very 1st trip 

My favorite part of CM is they don't do that fake ass kissing that so many places in Thailand do

There is not really many "farang ghetto" areas

Many of the places you go to are a good mixture of locals and farang 

• Like 3

12 hours ago, socal said:

I always thought it was boring up there

I wish the Chinese did too! But there was a news feed that was interviewing Chinese tourists the other day in different countries starting at Bali. It was touching on the numbers of them and they are still quite low. Came to here and the Chinese woman in her thirties stated that CM is top pick to visit because it is fun and Thai people are so nice here. Yuck!

• Haha 1

These lists are always fascinating for me. There’s a grain of truth to some of them but that’s all it is - a grain. It always depends on the parameters selected by the list makers. Add some other parameter and the order changes. 

How is Tokyo lower than so many cities? Why is Port-of-Spain near the bottom? I browse the list and wonder about the criteria rather than change my view per se.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Marc26 said:

I've been to CM quite a bit and never felt unsafe 

That is not the point, nobody is saying the CM is not safe. The point is,  is it safer than all the other Cities in Asia.  Well, depending on how you define safe,  I can think of at least 30 Asian Cities that would be statistically  'safer' that CM, Discounting Singapore and Hong Kong, that are 'safer' , Japan has at least 15, Taiwan another 6 that I know of, that could be defined as safer than any in Thailand.  Thailand doesn't even come close 

Top 10 Safest Countries in Asia (2022 Global Peace Index)
  • Singapore — 1.326.
  • Japan — 1.336.
  • Malaysia — 1.471.
  • Bhutan — 1.481.
  • Qatar — 1.533.
  • Taiwan — 1.618.
  • Estonia — 1.662.
  • Kuwait — 1.739.

https://worldpopulationreview.com/country-rankings/safest-countries-in-asia

• Like 2

1 hour ago, BigHewer said:

These lists are always fascinating for me. There’s a grain of truth to some of them but that’s all it is - a grain. It always depends on the parameters selected by the list makers. Add some other parameter and the order changes. 

How is Tokyo lower than so many cities? Why is Port-of-Spain near the bottom? I browse the list and wonder about the criteria rather than change my view per se.

Yes they can be taken with a grain of salt. In another list on the same theme, Sydney was ranked 4th and Melbourne 8th. Having intimate knowledge of both these cities, it appears the author has employed the dartboard method to determine the order.

Only a month ago Bangkok was listed as the best Asian city for cycling. Next we will be learning that North Korea is the most liberal democracy and Somalia has the most stable government.

• Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, Soidog said:

Only time I felt unsafe is when the Police tried to “help” me! 

Yes,  that's always bad, as soon as they smile you know that you are going to be out of pocket.  

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, BigHewer said:

How is Tokyo lower than so many cities?

Tokyo is almost crime free. 

From Google: 

Crime rates in Tokyo, Japan
Level of crime 21.08 Low
Problem people using or dealing drugs 24.83 Low
Problem property crimes such as vandalism and theft 23.77 Low
Problem violent crimes such as assault and armed robbery 21.36 Low
Problem corruption and bribery 30.57 Low

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Pinetree said:

That is not the point, nobody is saying the CM is not safe. The point is,  is it safer than all the other Cities in Asia.  Well, depending on how you define safe,  I can think of at least 30 Asian Cities that would be statistically  'safer' that CM, Discounting Singapore and Hong Kong, that are 'safer' , Japan has at least 15, Taiwan another 6 that I know of, that could be defined as safer than any in Thailand.  Thailand doesn't even come close 

Top 10 Safest Countries in Asia (2022 Global Peace Index)
  • Singapore — 1.326.
  • Japan — 1.336.
  • Malaysia — 1.471.
  • Bhutan — 1.481.
  • Qatar — 1.533.
  • Taiwan — 1.618.
  • Estonia — 1.662.
  • Kuwait — 1.739.

https://worldpopulationreview.com/country-rankings/safest-countries-in-asia

Seems fair to me. I live in the “most dangerous” neighborhood in Japan statistically but there is still no street I wouldn’t walk down any time of the day or night. 100% safe. I’ve always thought Singapore to be comparable, even the “dodgiest” areas (Geylang, Desker Road etc) are safe.

There’s a parameter these lists can’t capture, that sixth sense, the hairs standing up on the back of your neck when you have to be on guard. In Japan and Singapore (and Taiwan) - never. But in Thailand, yeah once or twice in my experience.  In Sadao, Aranyaprathet, in Pattaya from memory. Still, I wouldn’t regard those places as being “unsafe”. 

Perception plays a big part in what’s “safe” and isn’t.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Khunmark said:

Yes they can be taken with a grain of salt. In another list on the same theme, Sydney was ranked 4th and Melbourne 8th. Having intimate knowledge of both these cities, it appears the author has employed the dartboard method to determine the order.

Only a month ago Bangkok was listed as the best Asian city for cycling. Next we will be learning that North Korea is the most liberal democracy and Somalia has the most stable government.

Agreed. Last month I visited Sydney for 3 days the first time in 15 years. I was pleasantly surprised by how much cleaner and nicer it was. But there is still the odd dodgy nook or cranny. 4th safest city in the world? Nope. 

• Like 1