News Forum - US actor George Clooney’s foundation stands up for Thai protesters

Thaiger

US actor George Clooney’s foundation is standing up for Thai protesters through its TrialWatch initiative. The initiative is part of the Clooney Foundation for Justice and has been monitoring and evaluating the criminal proceedings against the protest leaders since 2020. TrialWatch has urged Thailand to adhere to its international human rights obligations in an amicus …

The story US actor George Clooney’s foundation stands up for Thai protesters as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

Does anyone believe Americans, when they talk about human rights? Gitmo, the electric chair for the mentally impaired, 3rd trimester abortions, even.

That, and much of its self righteous nonsense.

• Confused 1

13 minutes ago, Karolyn said:

Does anyone believe Americans, when they talk about human rights? Gitmo, the electric chair for the mentally impaired, 3rd trimester abortions, even.

Clooney is normal other than being famous and a bit odd, so yes it is good and bonafide, and FYI his wife is or was a Human Rights lawyer. There is huge validity in the foundation. I understand on the other hand for what you are saying about the oddities of the USA and certain factions and citizen crazies, but there are a lot of groups in the USA who are good. Don't label the USA all in one boot because the shoe doesn't fit on most of the groups and things you didn't mention. This has nothing to do with the USA goverment or each state's legislative branches. 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, HolyCowCm said:

Clooney is normal other than being famous and a bit odd, so yes it is good and bonafide, and FYI his wife is or was a Human Rights lawyer. There is huge validity in the foundation. I understand on the other hand for what you are saying about the oddities of the USA and certain factions and citizen crazies, but there are a lot of groups in the USA who are good. Don't label the USA all in one boot because the shoe doesn't fit on most of the groups and things you didn't mention. This has nothing to do with the USA goverment or each state's legislative branches. 

And yet, a comparison of the US versions of the gun rights and abortion rights movements, shows that a certain severe contempt for human life and limb in the USA, is both widespread and culturally tolerated. In Europe, Asia, or Latin America, people would lose credibility, for saying things openly pushed by certain lobbies in the US. 

2 hours ago, Karolyn said:

I’m not sure what you mean by “Americans”?  Do you mean all Americans, the American government, or American interest groups such as the gun lobby? The fact is, the Clooney foundation has very clear aims and objective which you can read on it’s website https://cfj.org

Is it these stated aims and objectives you disagree with, or the fact they are trying to do this from an imperfect country with and imperfect society. If it’s the former, then why are you raising Gitmo and the electric chair?  If it’s the latter, then what perfect country and society do you think they should operate from? 

• Like 3

Just now, Soidog said:

I’m not sure what you mean by “Americans”?  Do you mean all Americans, the American government, or American interest groups such as the gun lobby? The fact is, the Clooney foundation has very clear aims and objective which you can read on it’s website https://cfj.org

Is it these stated aims and objectives you disagree with, or the fact they are trying to do this from an imperfect country with and imperfect society. If it’s the former, then why are you raising Gitmo and the electric chair?  If it’s the latter, then what perfect country and society do you think they should operate from? 

Not every single American, sorry. But America in total, as a society. Maybe I should repeat, or perhaps I didn't say it already, so I'll try to rephrase. Many countries have things like the right to firearms, the right to abortion on demand, the death penalty. But in America, these things are not only extremist, in that they take on a bizarre dimension, but the disregard for human consequences. This is therefore a cultural thing, all Americans are exposed regularly to such attitudes, and are thereby conditioned to tolerate them, though they might not agree with them. Does this make sense? 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Karolyn said:

And yet, a comparison of the US versions of the gun rights and abortion rights movements, shows that a certain severe contempt for human life and limb in the USA, is both widespread and culturally tolerated. In Europe, Asia, or Latin America, people would lose credibility, for saying things openly pushed by certain lobbies in the US. 

I used to own a few guns in the USA and I never shot or killed or even pulled one out on anyone. But I grew up with guns and safety. Here no, won't have one because illegal, but if was not illegal then yes I absolutely would for the home. So yes, I am all for abortion and certain gun rights. As it stands here, the only people who have guns are the hot heads, criminals and authorities, and sometimes hard to distinguish who is the better of any of them. For the USA not exactly sure what you mean culturally tollerated as the USA is grealty divided, but thank goodness we do have people like Clooney and some groups that try to make a difference for the good. My take on it is it is all his wife Amal's real beliefs and he is following her in his name with it, but it is a good thing as far as I can see. As for Americans just going along with the flow or status quo, this is far from reality now and most Americans have always been on one side or the other side of the fence, but can come to terms and get along for the most part... I think? 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Karolyn said:

Not every single American, sorry. But America in total, as a society. Maybe I should repeat, or perhaps I didn't say it already, so I'll try to rephrase. Many countries have things like the right to firearms, the right to abortion on demand, the death penalty. But in America, these things are not only extremist, in that they take on a bizarre dimension, but the disregard for human consequences. This is therefore a cultural thing, all Americans are exposed regularly to such attitudes, and are thereby conditioned to tolerate them, though they might not agree with them. Does this make sense? 

Thanks for explaining further and yes, it does make sense. I would agree that many Americans have what many European and some Asian countries consider as bizarre attitudes to gun ownership and the death penalty etc. 

If your point is that some times it’s hard for the rest of the world to take lectures on human rights from the Americans, then again I would agree with you. They have a strange way of expressing fair human rights in a way most would wish to achieve, yet lose the moral legitimacy by some of their behaviours. That said, I don’t think you can then talk down the efforts of the many Americans; such as the Clooney Foundation who are equally appalled at some of the things that take place in their society and by their government. Their aim is to stop these things in the US just as they are elsewhere. 

The issue however with foundations like the Clooney foundation is that, like all of us, they have limited time and resources, hence they focus on areas of greatest need. When you compare the volume of human rights abuses in countries such as Iran, China and even Thailand, then it makes sense to prioritise those issues. The counter claim (which I think you are making), is that “those in glass houses shouldn’t throw stones”? 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Karolyn said:

Is that all Americans or merely a sweeping generalisation? Check out Mrs Clooney's CV.

• Like 1

The important thing here is that Thailand is being singled out.....hopefully in the 'global eyes'.....and is being called out to tow the line on a 'not so primitive' course.

I applaud their sentiments. 

8 hours ago, Karolyn said:

As an American I agree with you 100%

Especially when you refer to it as a cultural thing. Because it is, even the ones that oppose these extreme policies and ideology, don't really do anything about it.

Kids get blown away at school and the country, on a whole, just shrugs their shoulders

Every parent should be out in the streets protesting and shutting down the schools until change

Instead they just hope they are lucky and hope their kid isn't next, while obnoxiously claiming "America is the greatest country in the world"

Still shouldn't take away the good trying to be done in this instance............

• Cool 1