News Forum - Elephant brutally kills mahout in southern Thailand

Thaiger

An elephant went into a violent frenzy and killed its mahout (elephant trainer) in Phang Nga province in southern Thailand yesterday. Officials believe that Jojo the elephant turned on its owner because it was fed up with work. Jojo both trampled on his owner and stabbed him with his tusks numerous times, said rescue workers. Officers from Kapong Police Station were informed that an elephant killed a mahout at Wassana Elephant Camp in Rommanee subdistrict. Police and rescue workers from the Sawang Mek Takuapa Rescue Unit travelled to the elephant camp where they found the body of 35 year old […]

The story Elephant brutally kills mahout in southern Thailand as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

I love seeing elephants go crazy and rampage. Nothing less than their exploiting slave owners deserve. 

One of the downsides of Chinese tourists returning is that it will add new life to the animal exploitation activities of the Thais. More enlightened countries are waking up to the suffering of these animals, but not the Chinese of course. 

There is no easy answer to this problem. One way is to make it illegal for any more animals to be held captive. Let the ones who are working now, continue to work and then no more. This will allow families of these elephants to look at alternative ways to make money. 

You should never ride elephants. Never feed them when they bring them around town (happens far less than it use to). Never have your picture taken with a wild animal such as snakes or lizards or monkeys. 

First attached is a link to one of my favourite videos.  

And this next one gives an insight to the cruelty these majestic animals endure in elephant “sanctuaries”. Don’t tell me these Thais “love their animals”. BS as usual from them,

• Like 1

Well, if you care so much for these majestic animals, be sure to also care about the many many many many more intelligent social and emotional beings called pigs who are abused systematically in the mass meat industry. Elephants are lucky they are hard to breed, otherwise humans would be using them too in all ways possible in as small area as possible. So inventive. As for the massive Elephants themselves: they are stricly vegans ;)

3 hours ago, Dada said:

Well, if you care so much for these majestic animals, be sure to also care about the many many many many more intelligent social and emotional beings called pigs who are abused systematically in the mass meat industry. Elephants are lucky they are hard to breed, otherwise humans would be using them too in all ways possible in as small area as possible. So inventive. As for the massive Elephants themselves: they are stricly vegans ;)

Couldn’t agree more. I don’t eat Pork or Beef or any meat from a large animal. 

One of the worst animal cruelty incidents I’ve seen was in Thailand with a pick-up carrying around 20 pigs jammed two high. The pigs were rammed in to a cage with legs bent and blood all over as the animals were biting others. Blazing heat. No shade and obviously no water. No idea how long these poor animals had been subjected to the suffering. As I say, don’t eat such meat from more humane sources, sure don’t eat it in Thailand and other such places that have terrible animal welfare standards. 

I understand animal welfare comes at a cost and hence increases shop prices. The excuse is that poor people in a country like Thailand can’t afford higher prices. I just don’t buy that. Either they have their own animals or trade it for goods with those that do. This just keeps the meat cheap for restaurants, hotels and of course tourists who applaud the cheap prices of street food in Thailand. Cheap food prices means someone, or something has paid a higher price. 

If you are a meat eater, pay a visit to your local abattoir. I assure you that 90% of you won’t eat meat again. If you are in Thailand, go see how they do it. 99.999% of you won’t eat meat again. The use of claw hammers to beat pigs over the head is standard practice in places like Thailand.