News Forum - Floating beach club party barge requests to anchor in Phuket

Thaiger

A floating beach club barge in Phuket is seeking approval to anchor in Patong Bay. The 500 gross-ton vessel, called the Sawasdee, has luxury party amenities like a bar and swimming pool, and can accommodate 500 guests with a crew of 35. The Phuket office of the Marine Department has reported that the boat is currently anchored in Patong Bay, where it has been approved to operate as a restaurant by Patong Municipality. However, it is yet to be decided whether the boat will be allowed to remain in the bay. If approved, it will be the first such floating […]

The story Floating beach club party barge requests to anchor in Phuket as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

500 “guests” !!!!!

Imagine how tightly packed people are on a plane, that’s one and a half Boeing 777’s worth of people 😳

On so many levels that won’t work. Space, toilets, catering, evacuation. All those life rafts on aft end. Each one needs to be individually launched then once expanded dragged round to the boarding steps, maybe 30 people clambering in half pissed, the life raft chaotically paddled away before another life raft gets dragged round for the process to continue. 

In the meantime the fire rages on with people panicking. On a good day I’d say an hour to get 500 people into the life rafts which won’t have capacity for 535 bodies.

120 plus crew will be a tight enough fit if you plan to enjoy the facilities and have a quality experience.

The concept is an interesting one I just don’t agree with the maths and I also wouldn’t fancy trying to manage 500 people off their heads on buckets of random booze. Once 1 person jumps in everyone follows. Drownings, broken necks, umpteen broken limbs, possibly even a few propeller lacerations as a small army of small boats ferry guests aboard through a sea of swimming party people. 

Not on my watch……

Edited by Henry

I guess the authorities better take a look at the life saving and fire fighting equipment? and the waste management plan (solid waste, gray & black water tanks).

28 minutes ago, Alavan said:

I guess the authorities better take a look at the life saving and fire fighting equipment? and the waste management plan (solid waste, gray & black water tanks).

Not to mention measuring the height of the railings around the boat. 😂😂

This is a disaster just waiting to happen. Risky enough in any location where you have hundreds of drunk and drugged people on a boat. In Thailand it takes on an increased level of risk. 

14 hours ago, Alavan said:

As far as I can make out the only life-rafts are those 6 shown in the pic.  Assuming they are of the 25 person type, that allows for 150 in total.  One might assume they will have carly floats stacked on the top deck plus lifebuoys on long lanyards all around the railings.  500 pax + 35 crew = a lot of safety gear!

I can't imagine a vessel of that size having anything but a chemical treatment holding tank for waste as the volume would be too much for sophisticated on-board treatment.  Either way, a pump out/transfer facility would likely gain certification although it is not uncommon for unscrupulous operators to simply discharge the holding tanks at night on an outgoing tide rather than incur the cost of a transfer system.

As it stands, or floats 😃, restaurant use appears the most suitable use.

• Like 1