News Forum - Thailand should impose restrictions on Chinese tourists, says Pheu Thai MP

Thaiger

31 minutes ago, Vigo said:

if only a sniffle why are there  so many dead bodies piling up? why is healthcare system reported on brink of collapse?

There isn't. Dont believe the hype. 😉

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Vigo said:

Covid is not a mild cold now. It can leave serious inflammation of vital organs including heart that is not immediately identifiable. The health literature does not support your claim.  I was vaccinated 5X because of my work requirement. 7 days after booster in November, I tested positive for Covid. It was not mild cold. The sore throat was nasty, and the cough lasted 3 weeks. People who are in my office were knocked out for 2-3 weeks, and they are young and fit. I couldn't concentrate for many days and was unable to work.  Western economy cannot  withstand a large disruption like that.

The issue with China is that it refuses to release complete data and information about its infections. No one outside of PRC government knows which variants are running wild. Why repeat the same mistake as before and allow Chinese to infect the world before we can prepare?

That's why you got sick because your immune system has been overwhelmed by your 5 shots.

I haven't had any shots nor worn a mask and I'm fine. I've been fine this whole time. All I've had is a bit of acid reflux which is gone now and I used to have years ago. 

7 hours ago, Highlandman said:

Were you living under a rock in 2020 and 2021? You didn't even read my reply. First they restrict the Chinese. Then they restrict everyone. That's what happened in early 2020 and it's what will happen again IF this goes ahead.

And you obviously didn’t read mine or lost the thread of our conversation. I’m talking about this current situation with the opening up of China. I was proposing Covid testing for ALL people travelling from China. You seemed to turn that in to some form of anti-Chinese proposal. I clarified that by saying the policy should and most likely would be, ANYONE travelling from China.

The world is not going to start restricting or locking down again, not unless these millions of people from China introduce are more deadly strain to the world. 

As said today. The Tourism and Sports Ministry will discuss the free vaccines with the Ministry of Public Health (MOPH). I personally think that it is worth it. One vaccine dose costs hundreds of baht, but one tourist spends over 40,000 baht on average for each visit. Thailand has one of the best public health systems in the world. We should take the best care of tourists’ health.” That will not stop another pandemic from happening in Thailand again, stop it now if you so concerned about tourists health, it's always about money in Thailand live's come second and who is saying that this covid is mild, thats not true new strains will probably develop and could be fatal we cannot be sure.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Highlandman said:

No it wouldn't. It's completely useless. These tests do nothing but enrich test makers and inconvenience tourists. I wouldn't come and millions would cancel holidays to Thailand if this madness returns.

It didn't work the first time, it won't work now. Covid is already here and everyone is vaccinated and masked so what's the problem?

Just let people move around freely. We're talking about a mild cold here. For God's sake, it's been 3 years now. Have you learned nothing?

I share your frustration with the length of time this is going on. I think we are now at a stage where vaccinated people should get on with life normally.

I think the problem is the impact to elderly and vulnerable people. While the world has “accepted” a degree of mortality of the same groups to seasonal flu, we haven’t yet accepted the higher mortality rates in these same people for Covid. Hopefully the next generation of seasonal Covid jabs will bring the numbers down. However, with the media and indeed government health authorities continuing to split out Covid numbers and highlight them, the fear continues. 

The world needs to move on now but be ready to react to particular risks. The opening of China is one such risk. It’s not a lot to ask the travelling Chinese to do what all travellers had to do in 2021 and have a PCR test prior to departure. At least do this for three months until the world is confident no new nasty variant is lurking. This is an opportunity for the Chinese government to give a nod to the world that they understand Covid. They recognise their role in this mess. They will show that they have learned the lessons from Covid. They could do this by insisting all travellers leaving China have has a PCR test before leaving. Even an ATK would reduce infected numbers. Of course they won’t do any of this as it implies guilt in their politically obsessed minds. And so, the rest of the world needs to take care. 

How would we all feel if, just if, some mutated variant of Covid-19 which evades current vaccine protection is circulating within China and about to be passed on to the world. What then? 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, stuhan said:

As said today. The Tourism and Sports Ministry will discuss the free vaccines with the Ministry of Public Health (MOPH). I personally think that it is worth it. One vaccine dose costs hundreds of baht, but one tourist spends over 40,000 baht on average for each visit. Thailand has one of the best public health systems in the world. We should take the best care of tourists’ health.” That will not stop another pandemic from happening in Thailand again, stop it now if you so concerned about tourists health, it's always about money in Thailand live's come second and who is saying that this covid is mild, thats not true new strains will probably develop and could be fatal we cannot be sure.

So at present then................? It's all a big, scary, nightmarish kind of panic about what?

26 minutes ago, Poolie said:

So at present then................? It's all a big, scary, nightmarish kind of panic about what?

It’s called prevention. It’s where you look forward and asses the risk of something happening and take either mitigating action, or make plans to deal with it should it occur. Perhaps you’ve been in China too long. Maybe it’s the air or just plain indoctrination. What’s the saying:

If you lIve where they live, hear what they hear and see what they see, you will think like they think and do what they do. Congratulations @Poolie  you are a full member of the CCP! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, Highlandman said:

You comply because you're a compliant person and it's because of people like you that this doesn't end. You don't bat an eyelid because you haven't been outside of Thailand and this lunacy has been normalized here. 

Children forced to wear masks is child abuse pure and simple. It's no wonder that there is so much violence against teachers and parents in this country. Almost every day you read a tragic tale of a teen who stabbed their grandparents or teacher or something.

This doesn't happen nearly as much in the west. 

The extreme, authoritarian and brutal way children are raised here is an obvious culprit.

I would say I am not a complete whiner, that's all

I am not a mask wearer when I don't need to where one

I had to wear a mask yesterday to my massage therapy appointment because the therapist preferred we do so

I'd prefer not to, but it was an hour and I will survive

You caused a scene for what? 30mins of mask wearing?

Your kid didn't get to play and you caused a scene.................I guess mission accomplished??

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Highlandman said:

Good post.

I'd rather die than have to live in a zombified, restricted society.

Life is about freedom. We've endured more than 2 years of restrictions (technically some minor restrictions still apply here and there even now) and they were bad enough.

We need to move on and live life again without fear.

Those living in fear ironically are the ones who will live the shortest because fear causes oxidative stress that can lead to all sorts of health issues and a shorter lifespan. 

Back to the topic at hand, let's end the hysteria.

The Chinese won't be coming back for months or longer anyway.

Some will be dissuaded by restrictions arriving at their destination. Others will be deterred by the PCR test to get back in.

Then you have limited flights to begin with. It will take 3-6 months minimum before flight schedules are restored to even 50% of pre Covid schedules further restricting flows of passengers. 

Finally land border crossings won't immediately open on January 8. Some might (for example the ones with Hong Kong) but it will take weeks to months before they're all running smoothly again. 

The only hysteria I see is people like yourself

You talk about "moving on"

But it's you crazy anti-maskers that are the hysterical ones

You put way more thought into any of this than people who aren't going to freak out about having to wear a mask maybe, maybe 5% of the whole week

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Marc26 said:

You put way more thought into any of this than people who aren't going to freak out about having to wear a mask maybe, maybe 5% of the whole week

I have sympathy with both sides of this debate. A&E staff wear face masks for hours at a time and get on with it. However, that was their choice in joining that profession I guess. Having to wear a mask 5% of the time is no big deal. Having to remember to carry one around with you 100% of the time is a pain. Number of times I’ve had to turn around and head back home because I forgot a fresh mask.

It’s not normal for that’s for sure and the debate is centred on when can we return to normality? If after having been fully vaccinated with the best vaccines science can offer and I’m many cases people having had and recovered from Covid, if not now, when? What is it we are waiting for? There is no magic solution or new drug in the way likely to provide total protection against this virus. 

12 hours ago, Marc26 said:

I would say I am not a complete whiner, that's all

I am not a mask wearer when I don't need to where one

I had to wear a mask yesterday to my massage therapy appointment because the therapist preferred we do so

I'd prefer not to, but it was an hour and I will survive

You caused a scene for what? 30mins of mask wearing?

Your kid didn't get to play and you caused a scene.................I guess mission accomplished??

Again, you do not and it seems you will never get the point Marc26. It is not about masks. You said: "I'd prefer not to, but it was an hour and I will survive". Sure, giving up your freedom to choose to wear one although like you said you did not want to will not kill you. It is just that it is imposed to you by others, who themselves have been imposed by a massive fear propganda...and it works...and you decide to go along... for convenience. You are willing to give up that little bit of freedom for convenience. So what other little bit of freedom will you give up next for your convenience? Where does it end? Freedom is either full freedom or nothing. When you put convenience ahead of freedom one bit, then either you are a coward or simply purely naive about the consequences or you just do not care cause you are old and never mind what you will leave behind to young generations. That goes for millions of other little things, the mask being just one. JUST ONE. If you take freedom for granted being from the West, think twice. Personally I would have tried to reason the therapist that there is nothing to fear if I do not wear one. If that did not work, I would have said good bye and gone to spend my money with someone more reasonable and not totally brainwashed by the fear propaganda. That is freedom. What you did is giving it up for convenience. Your choice. But surely at some point and million posts later trying to explain this to you, even you can get the point, no?

On 12/28/2022 at 9:59 PM, Highlandman said:

Let's hope these control freaks don't get into power. As much as I dislike the military and its proxies, when Anutin shows more common sense than the opposition you know things are bad.

You know how it goes, first the Chinese will be subjected to restrictions. Then as the article aludes [any country that has significant numbers of Chinese], which is every neighboring country and eventually, like in 2020, it's the whole world.

Before you know it, come March 2023 and we'll have another quarantine imposed and be back in lockdown.

These restrictions never worked before and they'll never work. It's all about control. Doing the same thing over and over, hoping for a different result = definition of insanity (Albert Einstein).

If any controls are imposed, the Thai tourism industry will be decimated. I won't be coming to Thailand even if only a PCR or antigen test is imposed again.

I don't trust them to only impose controls on the Chinese. I am sure if this is done, everyone will have to suffer again. Then the mask mandate will come back and you know the rest. It will be 2020 all over again.

As for the ridiculous statement at the end "tourists will be more confident in coming to Thailand [if measures are put in place to control Covid coming from the Chinese]".

Nope, they won't be. Travelers on social media, TripAdvisor etc. will be fuming and boycotting Thailand in favor of more common sense destinations.

The unelected PM and his soldiers will do what is best for them in financial terms. at a risk of, ie anyone sitting near an infected person on the plane, whisked of to some hospital or hospitel at a cost of about 15000 Baht as before.

On 12/28/2022 at 10:22 PM, Highlandman said:

Masks are still a thing in Thailand. Just today for the first time (get this) my son and I were refused entrance to an indoor children's playground for refusing to wear a mask. More specifically, we stormed out after I told off the staff for their superstitious habit. I told them the government ended the mandate more than 6 months ago. They shoved a sign in my face saying their playground still requires it.

It's child abuse. How can kids have fun playing in a playground all muzzled up, unable to breathe fresh air? Not to mention WHY is this still happening in December 2022?

One lady did ask if only I could wear a mask after telling her my son has never worn a mask and refuses to (and I don't allow it myself). I said no I won't because the mandate is gone AND how can I eat and drink with a mask on as my plan was to buy some snacks while I watch him play?

No logic and no common sense, so I left. Didn't feel comfortable remaining there. Hardly anyone else was there either and the entrance fee is quite steep too.

In Cambodia, mask wearing is down to like 5% throughout the country. They've moved on.

In Malaysia mask wearing outdoors is down to nearly zero as well. Indoors it varies, but at malls its around 60% compared with 90-99% in Thailand, a country that refuses to move on.

I also remember the hysterical talk on the radio in southern Thailand as I was driving to Malaysia earlier this month. The host told her listeners to stay home unless it was necessary to go out and if you do need to go out, avoid all contact with others. Always wear a mask. Don't invite people to your house during this time. Seriously???

Contrast this to Malaysia where just one reference to mask wearing was made and I was listening to the radio for 5 days straight, whenever I was driving (most Malaysian stations are in English, unlike in Thailand where you can only find English language stations in Bangkok, Hua Hin and other cities with large expat populations). I am fluent in Thai so could understand every word of what was being said on the radio as I was passing through Nakorn Sri Thammarat when that lady was rambling on about Covid for about 20 minutes, telling us we could die if we leave our homes. In December 2022. Seriously.

One country still treats Covid like the plague, its neighbor uses common sense. Says a lot about whats wrong with Thailand, especially at this stage of the game. Also explains the mask incident at the playground today.

When you have an unelected PM and a bunch of soldiers with about the same low IQ as the average Somchai in the street, that's what you get.

On 12/29/2022 at 9:17 AM, Highlandman said:

You comply because you're a compliant person and it's because of people like you that this doesn't end. You don't bat an eyelid because you haven't been outside of Thailand and this lunacy has been normalized here. 

Children forced to wear masks is child abuse pure and simple. It's no wonder that there is so much violence against teachers and parents in this country. Almost every day you read a tragic tale of a teen who stabbed their grandparents or teacher or something.

This doesn't happen nearly as much in the west. 

The extreme, authoritarian and brutal way children are raised here is an obvious culprit.

"This doesn't happen nearly as much in the west."  What???? Don't you read the news from the UK? Even in Scotland with a 4 million population, there are stabbings, shootings, beatings and murders happening all the time. 

On 12/28/2022 at 10:22 PM, Highlandman said:

Masks are still a thing in Thailand. Just today for the first time (get this) my son and I were refused entrance to an indoor children's playground for refusing to wear a mask. More specifically, we stormed out after I told off the staff for their superstitious habit. I told them the government ended the mandate more than 6 months ago. They shoved a sign in my face saying their playground still requires it.

It's child abuse. How can kids have fun playing in a playground all muzzled up, unable to breathe fresh air? Not to mention WHY is this still happening in December 2022?

One lady did ask if only I could wear a mask after telling her my son has never worn a mask and refuses to (and I don't allow it myself). I said no I won't because the mandate is gone AND how can I eat and drink with a mask on as my plan was to buy some snacks while I watch him play?

No logic and no common sense, so I left. Didn't feel comfortable remaining there. Hardly anyone else was there either and the entrance fee is quite steep too.

In Cambodia, mask wearing is down to like 5% throughout the country. They've moved on.

In Malaysia mask wearing outdoors is down to nearly zero as well. Indoors it varies, but at malls its around 60% compared with 90-99% in Thailand, a country that refuses to move on.

I also remember the hysterical talk on the radio in southern Thailand as I was driving to Malaysia earlier this month. The host told her listeners to stay home unless it was necessary to go out and if you do need to go out, avoid all contact with others. Always wear a mask. Don't invite people to your house during this time. Seriously???

Contrast this to Malaysia where just one reference to mask wearing was made and I was listening to the radio for 5 days straight, whenever I was driving (most Malaysian stations are in English, unlike in Thailand where you can only find English language stations in Bangkok, Hua Hin and other cities with large expat populations). I am fluent in Thai so could understand every word of what was being said on the radio as I was passing through Nakorn Sri Thammarat when that lady was rambling on about Covid for about 20 minutes, telling us we could die if we leave our homes. In December 2022. Seriously.

One country still treats Covid like the plague, its neighbor uses common sense. Says a lot about whats wrong with Thailand, especially at this stage of the game. Also explains the mask incident at the playground today.

Tourist Area Thalang Road Phuket Old Town = Near Zero Masks. Just outside in all “ local”  area its 100% Masks. Irrational Superstitious People. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Manu said:

Again, you do not and it seems you will never get the point Marc26. It is not about masks. You said: "I'd prefer not to, but it was an hour and I will survive". Sure, giving up your freedom to choose to wear one although like you said you did not want to will not kill you. It is just that it is imposed to you by others, who themselves have been imposed by a massive fear propganda...and it works...and you decide to go along... for convenience. You are willing to give up that little bit of freedom for convenience. So what other little bit of freedom will you give up next for your convenience? Where does it end? Freedom is either full freedom or nothing. When you put convenience ahead of freedom one bit, then either you are a coward or simply purely naive about the consequences or you just do not care cause you are old and never mind what you will leave behind to young generations. That goes for millions of other little things, the mask being just one. JUST ONE. If you take freedom for granted being from the West, think twice. Personally I would have tried to reason the therapist that there is nothing to fear if I do not wear one. If that did not work, I would have said good bye and gone to spend my money with someone more reasonable and not totally brainwashed by the fear propaganda. That is freedom. What you did is giving it up for convenience. Your choice. But surely at some point and million posts later trying to explain this to you, even you can get the point, no?

Seems your absolute freedom is more important to you than respect for other people, their freedom, their wellbeing.

On 12/28/2022 at 6:52 PM, Poolie said:

So the opposition disagrees with the Government? Hmm.........suspicious, not!

Relax, there's no new strain, it's only a sniffle and where's the mask dissidents all gone?

I don't know why you bother posting your nonsense,  I really don't.  

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Pinetree said:

I don't know why you bother posting your nonsense,  I really don't.  

Some people are just born thick mate. He can’t help it. Problem with the modern world is that it allows them to have a voice. Years ago he’d be shouting at passing cars for attention. 

Anyone with an ounce of sense can see the potential risks involved with this move by the CCP. You don’t have to be a leading virologist to understand the risk. Hopefully we will get away with it and dodge the bullet. I’m just praying for the day when a virus comes along and only kills stupid people. Pfizer and the likes should be working on that right now. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, Manu said:

No I will never understand the hysteria of you anti-maskers

Sorry 

And it is hysteria 

You and others spent inordinate amounts of time worried about your "freedoms" when you are free to not go to any place that requires a mask

I've had to wear a mask for 1 hour in an enclosed private area in the last  6 months 

Anyone who thinks that is "losing their freedom " is an entitled brat that wouldn't know what "losing freedom" actually is and has never experienced it in real life 

On 12/29/2022 at 2:21 AM, Highlandman said:

That's why you got sick because your immune system has been overwhelmed by your 5 shots.

I haven't had any shots nor worn a mask and I'm fine. I've been fine this whole time. All I've had is a bit of acid reflux which is gone now and I used to have years ago. 

And your qualifications in immunology and infectious disease are what? I prefer to take my medical guidance from educated people with field experience. You obviously do not understand the concept adaptive change in viruses. I was diagnosed with one of the new variants and I managed as well as I did because I was vaccinated. This is the variant that is now killing people in large numbers. At some point, you will become infected and when you do, please stay home and don't clog up the emergency room demanding care.

• Like 3

I’m delighted to see the U.K. has joined a growing list of countries requiring people travelling from China to have a negative Covid test. That is the right decision by the U.K. government. 

• Like 2