News Forum - Hunger calling at villagers doors amid drought in central Thailand

Thaiger

A hungry herd of elephants went knocking on doors in a Prachin Buri village early yesterday morning, searching for food or water as drought drives them out of their reserve. Frightened villager awoke to the sounds of wild elephants shuffling around in their yards,  rooting for veggies earl,y on Saturday. Residents of Nong Pradu reported that some elephants from the Khao Ang Rue Nai Wildlife Sanctuary in the neighbouring province of Chachoengsao had found their way into their community and knocked on the doors of three homes between 1am and 2am. They said the elephants were likely searching for food […]

The story Hunger calling at villagers doors amid drought in central Thailand as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

2 hours ago, cowslip said:

Thailand continues to mismanage their wildlife and natural resources.

Agreed. I’d even go so far as to say Thailand abuses it. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, cowslip said:

Thailand continues to mismanage their wildlife and natural resources.

This year was unprecedented rain and flooding

I have no knowledge in any of so wondering what they could have done in regards to that and elephants?

8 hours ago, Marc26 said:

This year was unprecedented rain and flooding

I have no knowledge in any of so wondering what they could have done in regards to that and elephants?

The elephants have areas of natural habitat they can live in, they re subject to poaching and encroachment.....as these areas are surrounded by human habitat it is essential that they are managed in such a way that they can sustain the eco0systems within them - if they fail to do this animals such as elephants will range 100s of kilometres in search of either food or water. this inevitably leads to conflict.

although this year has been vey wet, it is unlikely that the DNP has managed water conservation within their lands and it my even have =been drained off for human purposes - e.g. agriculture, irrigation and flood control

Edited by cowslip

4 hours ago, cowslip said:

The elephants have areas of natural habitat they can live in, they re subject to poaching and encroachment.....as these areas are surrounded by human habitat it is essential that they are managed in such a way that they can sustain the eco0systems within them - if they fail to do this animals such as elephants will range 100s of kilometres in search of either food or water. this inevitably leads to conflict.

although this year has been vey wet, it is unlikely that the DNP has managed water conservation within their lands and it my even have =been drained off for human purposes - e.g. agriculture, irrigation and flood control

Thanks for the info

I am sort of basing it off of all the critters my MIL is dealing with now with all this rain, because they are getting "flooded out"

So figured same with Elephants, etc

22 minutes ago, Marc26 said:

Thanks for the info

I am sort of basing it off of all the critters my MIL is dealing with now with all this rain, because they are getting "flooded out"

So figured same with Elephants, etc

Flood or drought, if it covers or kills food supply, the elephants will wander afar to find new sources - it's what they do. The Asian elephant is an endangered species but the overarching culture in Thailand is one of ignoring wildlife, animal welfare and conservation - if yo rely on the average man-in-the-street for info, you will find they know vey little bout their own countries natural resources.F

Edited by cowslip