News Forum - British man says he was was hit at Pattaya crossing, warns others

Thaiger

A British man says he was hit by a motorcycle at a “very dangerous” pedestrian crossing in Pattaya. The man, 69 year old Chris Baker, told The Thaiger that yesterday morning a motorcycle hit him at the crossing from Rompho market to Soi 7. The market is located in the Bang Lamung district. Baker says he suffered a broken tooth, cut lip, swollen mouth, severe bruising on his arms and legs, and bad chest pain. He said that when he asked the motorcycle driver why he did not stop at the crossing, the driver said that his break did not […]

The story British man says he was was hit at Pattaya crossing, warns others as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

For the information and benefit of all travelers to Thailand, there is no such thing as a 'Pedestrian Crossing 'here, despite what you may see in terms of signage, road markings, or read in tourist guides. 

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, Jonhy456 said:

How surprising...he should have known that here many drivers won't stop at a red light. So before and during crossing always look right and left...easy. And in doubt, just wait...

Obviously not a Brit.....all Brits are familiar with the green cross code....

• Haha 1

26 minutes ago, Pinetree said:

For the information and benefit of all travelers to Thailand, there is no such thing as a 'Pedestrian Crossing 'here, despite what you may see in terms of signage, road markings, or read in tourist guides. 

It seems to me, this is a crossings at a traffic light?

"and that they can drive through and over this crossing when the light for them is red."

So even WITH red lights, the drivers ignore it?

Like the 3 or 4, they had on Kata (to Karon Beach)  road, about a decade ago.  

Traffic lights with push button, the driver ignored first the yellow flashing lights for a week or two, after they ignored the red lights, and then they took the lights down. 

Funny part, one of the lights is still hanging, near the Taxi/TukTuk occupied parking area in front of the the Karon municipality. 

(Which are the most driver, ignoring these lights. A lot of near hits, in these days, a lot of honking at tourist, before the lights were gone)

Even google maps is still showing it

https://www.google.com/maps/@7.8166188,98.3006747,3a,75y,71.11h,76.46t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1saDLCGlWDfpVledqI8jxV_w!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

I have nothing reasonable or positive to say about Thais driving anymore, other than the obvious. They are ALL total Nutcases on the road. Selfish inconsiderate morons. It’s utterly baffling to me how any human can drive like they do and not scare themselves, let alone other road users. 

Oh yes, I remember that feeling when you cross a street in Pattaya.

The secret of survival is simple: do not cross if they CAN hit you.

Treat them as people who will hit you if they can.

So, cross only when absolutely sure that they cannot run you over even if they are blind and deaf.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Guest1 said:

It seems to me, this is a crossings at a traffic light?

"and that they can drive through and over this crossing when the light for them is red."

So even WITH red lights, the drivers ignore it?

Like the 3 or 4, they had on Kata (to Karon Beach)  road, about a decade ago.  

Traffic lights with push button, the driver ignored first the yellow flashing lights for a week or two, after they ignored the red lights, and then they took the lights down. 

Funny part, one of the lights is still hanging, near the Taxi/TukTuk occupied parking area in front of the the Karon municipality. 

(Which are the most driver, ignoring these lights. A lot of near hits, in these days, a lot of honking at tourist, before the lights were gone)

Even google maps is still showing it

https://www.google.com/maps/@7.8166188,98.3006747,3a,75y,71.11h,76.46t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1saDLCGlWDfpVledqI8jxV_w!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

Sometimes the lights are placed in unexpected places and hardly noticeable. I've honestly never noticed it there.

I have a feeling the old guy saw the oncoming chicken clutching guy on his motorbike and decided he was going to stop, which he should have but that's often not how it works and it's not worth it.

You gotta cross the roads like you have only one life, that's true even in countries where 99.9% of traffic yields to pedestrians.

are we to understand he knew it was dangerous BEFORE he used the crossing. Or are we to believe that he let his guard down and forgot about how dangerous the roads can be in Thailand for the unwary?

I have commented on this exact crossing multiple times in the past, I know it well and said this would happen.
If nothing is done, it will continue to happen. The crossing is very dangerous. Red lights are completely ignored and as it is directly in front of a 7-11, it’s customers even regularly park their cars between the controlling lights at the exact point people are supposed to cross. Not only that, but as it’s the only gap in the centre reservation, it is also used as a motorcycle  U-turn point.

ANPR cameras with fines issued would actually earn a fortune for the municipality and eventually improve the situation, but of course, fines cannot be collected in cash that way, So that’s not going to happen any time soon, if ever.

Crossing at that point was safer with no control, because you (the person at risk) had to choose your moment to cross, which sadly is much safer than relying on a red light to protect you. 

As the number of tourists increases (as this crossing was put in place during the pandemic) and If nothing is done there will be a death in the near future. It is sadly an inevitable outcome. 

• Like 1

There is no such thing as pedestrian crosswalk anywhere in Thailand, drivers & motorcycle driver don't give a damn about red lights as they always drive into it. I normally jay walk when there's no vehicle around.

24 minutes ago, Poolie said:

Dont quote British laws in Thailand. They dont apply and neither should they.

No one did quote British laws. That said, many of the road traffic laws are identical or similar to British. Not surprising given the British advancement of road traffic safety.. The problem is that neither British nor Thai laws or any version of traffic laws are enforced. 

• Like 2

Seems that like in CM some days are worse than others like there is something in the air. Never let your guard down, and if you do then it probably is your fault in a big way. Just the way it is.

The most dangerous thing you can do to someone as a foreigner is to stop at a crossing at let people cross. It gives the poor innocent pedestrian a feeling that they are safe to cross. You can be sure some local dick will zip up the inside or outside and take em out. 

Road design in Thailand is one of the major causes of road death, but anyone from out of country who thinks they can use a pedestrian crossing in the same way as at home is dangerously kidding themselves.

1 minute ago, cowslip said:

Road design in Thailand is one of the major causes of road death, but anyone from out of country who thinks they can use a pedestrian crossing in the same way as at home is dangerously kidding themselves.

Certainly the crazy U-Turns, lack of lane markings especially at night and protection of crash barriers is a major factor I would say. 

• Like 1

On 11/14/2022 at 6:26 PM, Chaimai said:

Obviously not a Brit.....all Brits are familiar with the green cross code....

Step out waving a 4 ft bamboo staff and you can cross easily. Brakes suddenly work well.

(Need it for stability walking, getting old you know.)