News Forum - Thai government to downgrade Covid-19 disease status from October 1

Thaiger

Thailand’s government is expected to downgrade the Covid-19 disease status from October 1. Public Health Minister Anutin Charnvirakul made the announcement, saying that the disease will be classified as “communicable under surveillance.” Until now, the Covid-19 disease was classified as a “dangerous communicable disease,” but Anutin says the current situation has been deemed suitable for regrading. In February 2020, the virus was classified as a dangerous communicable disease, in order to enable the Thai authorities to react swiftly to contain the spread. As of Wednesday, the number of patients who need oxygen supplies had dropped to 300, while most fatalities […]

The story Thai government to downgrade Covid-19 disease status from October 1 as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

1 hour ago, Thaiger said:

the disease will be classified as “communicable under surveillance.”

The progression of the response to Covid reminds me of years ago George Will a recognized TV political commentator was asked about an emergency in the USA and if the government would solve it.  

He replied of course.  The USA has in Congress 535 of the best leaders of any country.  With them and the President they have access to the best and brightest experts from around the globe.  With unlimited resources they will marshall those experts to study the problem, and they will anaylze the problem, correctly determine the best and most effective action to take to eliminate the problem.

One Caveat: They will put into place that effective action only having tried and exhausted trying every other conceavable option first. 

What on earth ever drove any country to somehow think that it could not stop Ebola, SARS, Influenza, Zika, Yellow fever, Human immunodeficiency virus (HIV / AIDS), Human papillomavirus (HPV), Viral gastroenteritis, Varicella, and Viral hepatitis. and numerous other virus infections from entering countries but somehow THIS TIME WILL BE DIFFERENT. 

• Like 3

Masking. Do what I do. I don’t wear it in most places now and when I do I slip it down so my nostrils are clear. Incidentally even though I’m exposed all the time to people who may have covid my wife and I have never had it. 

• Like 1

Great news, but i don't see thai people not wearing their much loved masks any time soon...since childhood they are taught to do as others do, and not to think by themselves. 

To be honest, being told that face masks are not mandatory but at the same time that they are recommended doesn't help.

Edited by TeddY

9 hours ago, TeddY said:

Great news, but i don't see thai people not wearing their much loved masks any time soon...since childhood they are taught to do as others do, and not to think by themselves. 

To be honest, being told that face masks are not mandatory but at the same time that they are recommended doesn't help.

Let's' hope the health authorities come out soon and say they aren't necessary anymore. Thailand is becoming a real outlier with this masking, and it's really time for it to change. Some more public figures unmasking more frequently will help. 

The world is seriously now moving on, cases are plunging, mass mask wearing is very rare outside of China/Japan/South Korea.

Thailand's neighbours in Singapore and Malaysia have removed mandates and wearing is dropping there by the day. It's fair to say barring some new variant, the pandemic is ending. 

11 minutes ago, rc1 said:

Let's' hope the health authorities come out soon and say they aren't necessary anymore. Thailand is becoming a real outlier with this masking, and it's really time for it to change. Some more public figures unmasking more frequently will help. 

The world is seriously now moving on, cases are plunging, mass mask wearing is very rare outside of China/Japan/South Korea.

Thailand's neighbours in Singapore and Malaysia have removed mandates and wearing is dropping there by the day. It's fair to say barring some new variant, the pandemic is ending. 

It is solely up to individual countries as to what they enforce or not as to health requirements. Comparisons with other countries is really pointless as differences can always be found.

20 minutes ago, rc1 said:

Some people will continue to wear masks as they were worn prior to Covid-19.

My girlfriend in Ho Chi Minh always wore a mask when in the busy parts of the city due to her fears about pollution.

7 hours ago, Mazz11 said:

Some people will continue to wear masks as they were worn prior to Covid-19.

My girlfriend in Ho Chi Minh always wore a mask when in the busy parts of the city due to her fears about pollution.

Mask wearing was rare in Thailand pre Covid. The reality is you could go for days without seeing someone in a mask.

Now there's little / no health reason to wear them for the vast majority of the population,  it's really time for the mass mask wearing to end.

It is happening, but seems to be taking some time.... 

On 9/8/2022 at 6:17 PM, longwood50 said:

The progression of the response to Covid reminds me of years ago George Will a recognized TV political commentator was asked about an emergency in the USA and if the government would solve it.  

He replied of course.  The USA has in Congress 535 of the best leaders of any country.  With them and the President they have access to the best and brightest experts from around the globe.  With unlimited resources they will marshall those experts to study the problem, and they will anaylze the problem, correctly determine the best and most effective action to take to eliminate the problem.

One Caveat: They will put into place that effective action only having tried and exhausted trying every other conceavable option first. 

What on earth ever drove any country to somehow think that it could not stop Ebola, SARS, Influenza, Zika, Yellow fever, Human immunodeficiency virus (HIV / AIDS), Human papillomavirus (HPV), Viral gastroenteritis, Varicella, and Viral hepatitis. and numerous other virus infections from entering countries but somehow THIS TIME WILL BE DIFFERENT. 

Gee we dunno, could it be humankind's highest ever known R0 and wildly variable outcomes forced them all  for once to stop thinking about turning a buck and start figuring we might all just be going extinct before a vaccine could be developed?

It's easy to sound clever after the fact by ignoring the elephant in the room that made this very different from all the other times, and given that nothing will probably now be done to ensure medical facilities and staff are beefed up as the next challenges of war, climate, and famine come down the pike, it seemed nothing much was learned. 

Certainly not humility in the case of many who might be dead, were it not for still unexplained reasons why Covid is all over the map in terms of outcomes for reasons we still don't fully understand?