News Forum - Traffic fines see a hefty price spike on Monday

Thaiger

Bad and disobedient drivers better get it out of their systems quickly over the weekend! On Monday, increased fines for traffic offences – some rather steep – will go into effect in Thailand after the Land Traffic Act was recently updated. Yesterday, the Director of the Traffic Management Center and Deputy National Police Chief laid out a list of hefty new fines for driving violations. The days of a quick 200 baht on the side of the road for driving without a helmet may be gone. The new amendments to the traffic laws include fines increasing up to four-fold for […]

The story Traffic fines see a hefty price spike on Monday as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

42 minutes ago, Thaiger said:

The days of a quick 200 baht on the side of the road for driving without a helmet may be gone

I seriously doubt that. Unless it's 500 bath, on the side of the road.

44 minutes ago, Thaiger said:

Driving backwards  500 baht

Reversing instead of driving forward on a road? Frankly it wouldn't surprise me, nothing does here 😂

• Haha 1

About time. Hit them in the wallet and save some lives. That said, the reckless driving price increase might make my ”big bike” number plate fall off soon. 

• Like 2

The police have to make up for lost money during Covid lockdown to fund their pension.

The police are out everyday here in Phuket stopping all foreigners checking for everything.

Edited by Nivram
additional comment

About time, but I hope they don’t just pick on foreigners because they have money. It’s the Thais who repeatedly break the rules, especially speed and alcohol.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

I have now been in Thailand for over 3 years.  I have yet to see a driver pulled over by police for any infraction.  You can pull up to any interesection at any time and see numerous motorcycle riders with multiple people all not wearing a helmet.  You can at times see this with police motorcycles at the same intersection yet no one stops the drivers without a helmet.  So does this mean they really will enforce the laws or just that the fines are higher despite the fact that no driver is actually stopped for any of the offenses. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Nivram said:

The police have to make up for lost money during Covid lockdown to fund their pension.

The police are out everyday here in Phuket stopping all foreigners checking for everything.

It’s easy. Pass it on and tell your friends not to go there. A friend of mine was pulled and charged 1000 baht because he never had an international or Thai licence. All Thais were being flagged through with no checks. 

6 minutes ago, Dasoba said:

About time, but I hope they don’t just pick on foreigners because they have money. It’s the Thais who repeatedly break the rules, especially speed and alcohol.

The farang will be the ones targeted

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Giltee said:

The farang will be the ones targeted

Highly likely as they are probably the only ones that pay their fines. Farlangs have a conscience and an upbringing to do the right thing, Thais well ......?

Wifes son has a drawer full of speeding fines dating back 4- 5 years. At a rough guess he has about 40.

They come in a particular style of envelope so he doesn't even open them.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, longwood50 said:

I have now been in Thailand for over 3 years.  I have yet to see a driver pulled over by police for any infraction.  You can pull up to any interesection at any time and see numerous motorcycle riders with multiple people all not wearing a helmet.  You can at times see this with police motorcycles at the same intersection yet no one stops the drivers without a helmet.  So does this mean they really will enforce the laws or just that the fines are higher despite the fact that no driver is actually stopped for any of the offenses. 

Where do you live?

1 hour ago, Giltee said:

It’s easy. Pass it on and tell your friends not to go there. A friend of mine was pulled and charged 1000 baht because he never had an international or Thai licence. All Thais were being flagged through with no checks. 

So what's the problem? Your friend broke the law. 

Should we emulate Thais in everything. 

Get a license.

Can't blame the police for following the money. 💰

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Giltee said:

So your friend broke the law, and was fined

And I find it so ironic that I've been gojg to Phuket for almost 20 years and every single checkpoint I've gone through has had as many or more Thais stopped as farang

But it's just some coincidence that all the miserables on here say they only stop farang 

Or, or.......they are full of shit

• Like 2

3 hours ago, palooka said:

They come in a particular style of envelope so he doesn't even open them.

He don't need to. Unless he is changing the bike/car every year, he will have to pay on tax day!

Perhaps he is playing the cool one, only?

25 minutes ago, Marc26 said:

and every single checkpoint I've gone through has had as many or more Thais stopped as farang

Sure about that? And calculating by the many of each group, you don't find it interesting, that there are not at least 5-10 times more Thais stopped at the check points, as Farangs? Aside, it is always a question of availability: High season or lots of western people on bikes, mostly Farang only . Even helmless Thais are not always targeted. Low season /or lesser farang on the roads: Of course there are "more" Thais to check, then. Still they need to get money in the station bonus box. Also it is the question, which checkpoint you are passing.  The one in Patong 2 Karon, or the other side, Karon 2 Patong, I have never experienced a "more Thais as Farang" situation, there. In special the evening checkpoints, they wave the locals, coming/going from/to work, through, but stop every non Asian on a bike. As long they have unoccupied officers. The "more Thais as Farangs" may occur, as soon they also go after cars at the same time. Damn tinted windows! But on "only Motos" checkpoints? 

Na, at least the bigger west coast checkpoints officers on Phuket have a specific idea, who is and who isn't a culprit on 2 wheels. As long the money goal is reached!

Nope..they will never stop at pedestrians at all in the cross walk which including running the red light. I've seen that numerous times. I don't see the police at the traffic lights. Pedestrians are the ones yielding to the incoming vehicles and motorists so they won't get hit from behind. TIT..

53 minutes ago, Guest1 said:

Sure about that? And calculating by the many of each group, you don't find it interesting, that there are not at least 5-10 times more Thais stopped at the check points, as Farangs? Aside, it is always a question of availability: High season or lots of western people on bikes, mostly Farang only . Even helmless Thais are not always targeted. Low season /or lesser farang on the roads: Of course there are "more" Thais to check, then. Still they need to get money in the station bonus box. Also it is the question, which checkpoint you are passing.  The one in Patong 2 Karon, or the other side, Karon 2 Patong, I have never experienced a "more Thais as Farang" situation, there. In special the evening checkpoints, they wave the locals, coming/going from/to work, through, but stop every non Asian on a bike. As long they have unoccupied officers. The "more Thais as Farangs" may occur, as soon they also go after cars at the same time. Damn tinted windows! But on "only Motos" checkpoints? 

Na, at least the bigger west coast checkpoints officers on Phuket have a specific idea, who is and who isn't a culprit on 2 wheels. As long the money goal is reached!

You doing a lot of bending to fit your narrative  😀

They stop farangs during the hours of. .. they stop during this time 

I've been coming to Phuket for 20 years 

Lived and stayed all over and went through all those checkpoints 

And I've seen as many Thais pulled over as farang

And I've been waved through at times and stopped at times

But you do realize......

We are debating because some whiner is complaining his friend got fined for breaking the law!

That's all that needs to be said........

I went through numerous checkpoints all over Thailand in May/June and as soon as I showed them my IDP, they waved me through 

I don't know how much time you spend in local Thai areas and not doing a "I know more than you"

But I can assure you there are as many or more checkpoints in local Thai areas than in tourist areas 

• Like 2

It really does't matter how much they fine if they aren't followed up and enforced.

I can see this leading to a huge rise in cases going to court and rich people paying solicitors to get them off.

Lots of avoidance

More "on the spot" fines to make it go away.

Don't see a very wide variety of offences and no mention of licence points

• Like 1

Going to be a lot of mail to your home tickets sent out. Even my wife and kids just think it is a huge money scheme. Good way to get society to hate them even more than they do now. 

All you guys have done is mock road safety in Thailand

There has been countless  posts on here about every infraction they are looking to address

But of course the miserables will now bitch and moan about that!

Just a collection of msireable busy bodies 

I guess complaining non-stop about Thailand makes you guys feel special for once in your life

Just a special bunch of moaners on here.   😀

• Like 2

8 hours ago, HolyCowCm said:

Seems a far way bit too much of raising the fines. The average Thai cannot afford these things. I think it is only a money making machine.

But they will pay no money if they don't  break  the law

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, reallyreal said:

But they will pay no money if they don't  break  the law

True, but still is way excessive on most, but there are others they did not list like seat belts in the backseat for everyone, no riding in back of trucks, and kid car seats will be brought in afterwards. Red lights and crosswalks I have no problem with the fine as is a huge problem here, but others are excessive. I average a ticket every few years. If they start using  traffic cameras and photo shots then it might be more. 

49 minutes ago, Marc26 said:

You doing a lot of bending to fit your narrative  😀

They stop farangs during the hours of. .. they stop during this time 

I've been coming to Phuket for 20 years 

Lived and stayed all over and went through all those checkpoints 

And I've seen as many Thais pulled over as farang

And I've been waved through at times and stopped at times

But you do realize......

We are debating because some whiner is complaining his friend got fined for breaking the law!

That's all that needs to be said........

I went through numerous checkpoints all over Thailand in May/June and as soon as I showed them my IDP, they waved me through 

I don't know how much time you spend in local Thai areas and not doing a "I know more than you"

But I can assure you there are as many or more checkpoints in local Thai areas than in tourist areas 

Driving all over Thailand is not dealing with the special services, Phuket Police is offering. And I am not bending, these Patong and Karon Checkpoints are in that times, Farangs starting to go for a nightout or coming back from other beaches, and locals have the shift change. That you don't know that, seems more to point out, that you only have holiday knowledge about Phuket. Like most people have from Phuket and Thailand. And coming to Phuket for 20 years, unless you spend always 5 weeks on Phuket, every year, makes it obvious, that I did spend alone more time since beginning of covid on the island, as you did in your entire life.  I am no bragging, I just add 52 weeks a year times 2,5 and that is more as 20years x5 weeks(which I do not assume you did spend that time on the Island)

I have done a lot km on Phuket, on 2 and 4 wheels. And have been stopped in lots of check points, waved through to others. 

And just because some whiner is complaining that he got caught, that makes truth not go away, in general. Certain checkpoints on the west coast of Phuket targeting the foreing money, not that or more than that of the locals. As long there is enough to make with foreigners from non east asian countries, at least.

That is not whining, 'cause as long you are under a helmet and have a valid license, you are good to go. So I do not whine, I just mention observations from a long time being mostly on Phuket, if in Thailand. And my past with Phuket  goes back to unrestricted Shark Club and Safari times, so I have a decent experience with RTP check points on the island and in Thailand. And a good one for myself, 'cause using a helmet on a bike and having a Thai DL for a long time is almost always a sure thing, to get back on your way as soon  you pull that DL out. 

Most trouble on chekpoints occurs while foreign people arent using helmets and find it unfair, that they get pulled out, but locals not.  Or if they use helmets, that no DL or not a IDL means they get charged.

That is all right and their own fault.

But still, this is not changing the facts, what drivers is Phukets RTP looking for , in the first place.

Rules are clear I guess. And when driving a car or riding a bike in a foreign country it is wise to have the license you need. And wear a helmet on a bike.

Of course as a cop it is easier to pick out a farang. They can see if the helmet is there. And they know that quite a lot do not have the proper license. And they have bigger wallets. 

But I do wonder what will happen if they start fining a lot of Thai without a helmet. 500 or 2k baht is quite a lot of money for most people. Will people start protesting?

1 hour ago, Janneman said:

But I do wonder what will happen if they start fining a lot of Thai without a helmet.

An increase in helmet sales and usage. Hopefully one day Thailand will have proper certification for helmets so the plastic buckets currently sold cannot be passed off as protective devices. I’ve only got one head and I’m rather attached to it so I pay top dollar for a brand name helmet.