News Forum - Traffic fines see a hefty price spike on Monday

Thaiger

On 9/3/2022 at 6:06 PM, reallyreal said:

But they will pay no money if they don't  break  the law

maybe they shouldn't drive, then???

the thing is people have to drive and inevitably will fall foul of the law.

The problem is then enforcement - if people CAN"T pay te fine thy will thn start doing all sortd of things to avoid paying - more law breaking.

bribery

Failing to declare the driver.

False addresses/licences.

The problem here is corruption is so engrained  that the opportunities for people to avoid paying the fines are multiple.

Furthermore there is every chance some police will accept a lower "quick" payment just to make the matter go away.

as the gathering of statistics is an anathema to the RTP, it will be vey difficult to work out how effective these new fines are.

In order to be effective we need

New [police force trained to deal with motoring offences.

A NEW court system that can deal with, chase up and enforce offenders to pay.

A new road system that is clearly marked signed and defined so offences can be effectively measured

New equipment that is regularly calibrated and operated by trained officers.

A whole new attitude to road safety and the justice and legal system.

• Haha 2

17 hours ago, Nivram said:

Thailand is number 2 in the world for driving accidents.

No... Thailand is number 2 in the world for deaths due to road accidents... but has fewer accidents per capita than many many countries.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, HolyCowCm said:

Depends where as in what city. My city of CM they are equal opportunity get your money.

My experience... from sitting and watching one checkpoint in CM for two hours... every farang was stopped and those in violation of helmet and/or license were issued citations... while some Thais were stopped hundreds of Thais without helmets and probably without licenses rode thru the same checkpoint without being stopped... profiling (targeting) farang is alive and well throughout Thailand

• Like 3

Although I loath them, Thailand needs more cameras on the roads to catch speeders and infringements. Eg: no helmet ? A letter with fine sent to the registered owners address. Cuts out the “on the spot” fine opportunity and ensures equality for all. 

4 hours ago, Skip said:

My experience... from sitting and watching one checkpoint in CM for two hours... every farang was stopped and those in violation of helmet and/or license were issued citations... while some Thais were stopped hundreds of Thais without helmets and probably without licenses rode thru the same checkpoint without being stopped... profiling (targeting) farang is alive and well throughout Thailand

Where? Thapae gate? It is well know that most tourist foreingers do not have licenses and most Thai do. But, when I pass check points there seems a good mix and not just pinpointed solemly at foreingers, but here are mnay check points spread through out the city and you might have been one that was the get the evil foreinger one or it was a get the evil foreinger hump day..

I do see the police targeting many young techno school type looking kids or Asian non immigrant worker types. Take a trip out going to the Government buildings and you will see so many non immigrants targeted. And yes I have also been pulled over there before as well, but they are mainly after the non immigrant people because they have to go that way. When they stop people there are only so many police that can handle who they make pull over to the side, so it just depends and from my viewing over the years it seems equal. 

Could be you were at an isolated incident check point. Again, I have been here a long long time, but yes, I have seen it on aevery angle at check points and have been pulled over myself.

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/6/2022 at 6:23 PM, Skip said:

Targeting refers to profiling one segment over another... let's assume farang and Thais equally do not respect the rules of riding scooters yet farang on a percentage basis (since there are fewer of them) are stopped and fined more than Thais... that's what  targeting is.

Yes I understand targeting but you said they were targeted for not paying respect to the rules, not for being farang.  I basically disagreed and said it was because they were farang and not because they didn't fallow the rules.

"That said... MY perspective is that Farang as a group tend to be targeted because being farang they do not pay much respect to the Thai laws"

3 hours ago, MikeTexas said:

"That said... MY perspective is that Farang as a group tend to be targeted because being farang they do not pay much respect to the Thai laws"

Is it that they show as much respect for Thai laws as Thais do... which is close to none... sort of like "when in Rome do as the romans"

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Skip said:

Is it that they show as much respect for Thai laws as Thais do... which is close to none... sort of like "when in Rome do as the romans"

I completely disagree.  I see far more Thai people breaking traffic rules and helmet rules then I do Farang.  Possibly because they know there is limited repercussions for them.   

Farangs are stopped because they know we can pay whatever fine they come up with.

You see 12 year old kids with no helmet getting waved through because the police know there is no way they can afford the fine.

Its not about the law. Its about making money.