News Forum - Traffic fines see a hefty price spike on Monday

Thaiger

12 hours ago, longwood50 said:

I have now been in Thailand for over 3 years.  I have yet to see a driver pulled over by police for any infraction.  You can pull up to any interesection at any time and see numerous motorcycle riders with multiple people all not wearing a helmet.  You can at times see this with police motorcycles at the same intersection yet no one stops the drivers without a helmet.  So does this mean they really will enforce the laws or just that the fines are higher despite the fact that no driver is actually stopped for any of the offenses. 

Every holiday we have road checks stationed on main roads, plenty of Thais on the side being getting the works.

I usually only get the English practice from them.  Good morning etc.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Marc26 said:

All you guys have done is mock road safety in Thailand

There has been countless  posts on here about every infraction they are looking to address

But of course the miserables will now bitch and moan about that!

Just a collection of msireable busy bodies 

I guess complaining non-stop about Thailand makes you guys feel special for once in your life

Just a special bunch of moaners on here.   😀

And it's ok for you to have your opinion and bias towards Thais... remember everyone has a slant formed by their own experiences... your perspective is yours but not necessarily right for everyone else.

• Confused 1

That said... MY perspective is that Farang as a group tend to be targeted because being farang they do not pay much respect to the Thai laws... I have been stopped twice for not wearing a helmet when I first came here while many Thais in the same group of riders were given a pass for the same offense... doesn't excuse my breaking the rule, but the double standard can be frustrating... I now wear a helmet and haven't been stopped again... lesson learned.

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, palooka said:

Every holiday we have road checks stationed on main roads, plenty of Thais on the side being getting the works.

I usually only get the English practice from them.  Good morning etc.

Visiting Phuket and later, living there, I was never stopped at any checkpoints.  The most common ones being on Ratty Tits road near Bangla and halfway a.on the road to Kamala.   Mind you, I always wore a helmet.

Over 10 years in CM I have observed countless checkpoints with mainly Thais pulled over for no helmet or rego.  Helmet wearing has improved out of sight over the past 10 years but we still see the occasional crazy riders hooning around in traffic without ... No brain, no pain, instant death. 

IMO higher penalties are a step in the right direction.

• Like 1

In CM it is a free for all and every one is essentially a target on a bike. Here there are a lot of immigrant workers and not wealthy young kids and the police pull them all over even if they have a helmet on or not. I have noticed that they also like to take a look under their seats of these non Thai non white foreigners as perhaps looking for something illegal, and ifthey are really pushiung it the next thing would be it is also law that everyone carries a copy of the bikes registration with the bike. Extra money right there. In CM I have been stopped probably 10 times in over 20 years, and given a fine for no helmet or license about 3 times. Now I know where to have my helmet on and where to not (can put it on in roughly 2 seconds as is on my arm), but in the city I now mostly have had a habit of just wearing it until I get out of the city going home, but now that the fine is 2000 baht, it will be everytinme in the city. Too many cameras.

Now nightime is a different story here in CM for the most part, but there are still drink driving check points, but they at these times traditionally are only looking for drinking drivers and everything else is irrelevant. 

Phuket I saw mostly all foreingers getting nailed, and in reality I bet 9.5 out of 10 will have to pay up. But then I am only an authority on CM as lived here way over 20 years and counting.

BTW. Don't forget to put up your rear footpegs. Another money maker and law if they want to push it.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Janneman said:

Rules are clear I guess. And when driving a car or riding a bike in a foreign country it is wise to have the license you need. And wear a helmet on a bike.

Of course as a cop it is easier to pick out a farang. They can see if the helmet is there. And they know that quite a lot do not have the proper license. And they have bigger wallets. 

But I do wonder what will happen if they start fining a lot of Thai without a helmet. 500 or 2k baht is quite a lot of money for most people. Will people start protesting?

Nope. They'll pay 300 baht for a piece of cheap plastic. 

11 hours ago, palooka said:

I have had road checks but it "appeared" as though they were looking for either somebody, or perhaps were having you roll down your window to test for the smell of alcohol. 

However, I have yet to see a motorcycle police or police car pulling over a driver of any kind for any infraction.   Perhaps it happens but I rarely see police vehicles on the road, and as mentioned never have I seen them stop anyone despite obvious infractions each and every time I go out. 

There is never one single occasion that I have driven in Thailand that I have not seen a driver go through a red light, or at night a motorcycle without a front and or rear tail light.  You see each and every time motorcycles traveling the wrong way and of course helmet use is perhaps 50% at most. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, longwood50 said:

I have had road checks but it "appeared" as though they were looking for either somebody, or perhaps were having you roll down your window to test for the smell of alcohol. 

However, I have yet to see a motorcycle police or police car pulling over a driver of any kind for any infraction.   Perhaps it happens but I rarely see police vehicles on the road, and as mentioned never have I seen them stop anyone despite obvious infractions each and every time I go out. 

There is never one single occasion that I have driven in Thailand that I have not seen a driver go through a red light, or at night a motorcycle without a front and or rear tail light.  You see each and every time motorcycles traveling the wrong way and of course helmet use is perhaps 50% at most. 

My wife tells me the ordinary cops are not a worry. She says watch out for the brown coloured Highway Patrol cars.   Apparently can be nasty.  Have seen them out and about but usually only after they have stopped a heavy vehicle.  Had one blow past me on the main highway when I was doing 110 kph, I thought my car had stopped.

On 9/3/2022 at 5:51 PM, Dasoba said:

About time, but I hope they don’t just pick on foreigners because they have money. It’s the Thais who repeatedly break the rules, especially speed and alcohol.

and expats

20 hours ago, HolyCowCm said:

In CM it is a free for all and every one is essentially a target on a bike. Here there are a lot of immigrant workers and not wealthy young kids and the police pull them all over even if they have a helmet on or not. I have noticed that they also like to take a look under their seats of these non Thai non white foreigners as perhaps looking for something illegal, and ifthey are really pushiung it the next thing would be it is also law that everyone carries a copy of the bikes registration with the bike. Extra money right there. In CM I have been stopped probably 10 times in over 20 years, and given a fine for no helmet or license about 3 times. Now I know where to have my helmet on and where to not (can put it on in roughly 2 seconds as is on my arm), but in the city I now mostly have had a habit of just wearing it until I get out of the city going home, but now that the fine is 2000 baht, it will be everytinme in the city. Too many cameras.

Now nightime is a different story here in CM for the most part, but there are still drink driving check points, but they at these times traditionally are only looking for drinking drivers and everything else is irrelevant. 

Phuket I saw mostly all foreingers getting nailed, and in reality I bet 9.5 out of 10 will have to pay up. But then I am only an authority on CM as lived here way over 20 years and counting.

BTW. Don't forget to put up your rear footpegs. Another money maker and law if they want to push it.

I've never seen as many checkpoints ad there were in CM in June

All over the city at all different times of day

We went through one night and my stepson and his friend were on the bike in front of me

He just told the cop he was with his dad(pointing to me behind him) and the cop waived us through 

And I went through a bunch and would just make the motion of going for my IDP(I had one) and they'd waive me through without actually getting it

On 9/3/2022 at 5:08 PM, Skip said:

And it's ok for you to have your opinion and bias towards Thais... remember everyone has a slant formed by their own experiences... your perspective is yours but not necessarily right for everyone else.

It's not an opinion it's fact 

This miserable forum has gone on about road safety in countless threads

Then of course once they come out to improve road safety, the miserable come out bashing it 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Marc26 said:

Then of course once they come out to improve road safety, the miserable come out bashing it 

They are not bashing the idea of road safety... they are bashing the repeated multifaceted non enforcement on all offenders equally by the seemingly less than capable police... big difference.

And it is still only your opinion 

46 minutes ago, Skip said:

They are not bashing the idea of road safety... they are bashing the repeated multifaceted non enforcement on all offenders equally by the seemingly less than capable police... big difference.

And it is still only your opinion 

It's my opinion the miserables are now bashing the country trying to make roads safer?

Look at the replies......

Listen, this is Miserables 101

They bash the country for something then bash the country any time they try and improve anything 

Some would say they want the country to be screwed up because it makes them feel superior for once in their life 

I didn't say that.... but some would

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Marc26 said:

I've never seen as many checkpoints ad there were in CM in June

All over the city at all different times of day

We went through one night and my stepson and his friend were on the bike in front of me

He just told the cop he was with his dad(pointing to me behind him) and the cop waived us through 

And I went through a bunch and would just make the motion of going for my IDP(I had one) and they'd waive me through without actually getting it

Yeah, they jump around through out the day but usually have about 2-3 sets of them going on simulataneuously. One is on the outiside and the other 2 inside. Day time is for normal infractions and nightime is only about DUI and tyrying to catch ones with drugs. But in any case sometimes there are none going on as like in the eye of a hurricane.

I once got my USA friend's wife off as I followed her. She got stopped, I rode by passed and parked my bike, got my Thai licence out and said she was with me in Thai showing my license to him. Oddly she was let go with me as sort of like in Star Wars when the storm trooper waves them to pass. Very weird. But my friend when visting here and riding with her and the kids on the bike get stopped a few times every trip and just pay it on spot and go on their way, so they don't care.

23 hours ago, HolyCowCm said:

Proud that you not wear helmet ? Don't be a dick - wear a helmet. 

• Like 4

On 9/3/2022 at 4:24 PM, Nivram said:

The police have to make up for lost money during Covid lockdown to fund their pension.

The police are out everyday here in Phuket stopping all foreigners checking for everything.

doing their job you mean; don't be so cynical, it may even work, regardless of where the fine money ends up.. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MischiefMaker said:

Proud that you not wear helmet ? Don't be a dick - wear a helmet. 

Thank you for the insult name calling. My life and not yours and I never grew up in a bubble in the USA and still have life. My preference is no helmet in certain places and in others to have it on. Been riding here over 30 years now everyday. In a place like Bangkok, Pattaya or say Phuket yes I do wear it 100% as out of my element. Have a good day.

• Confused 1

On 9/3/2022 at 3:40 AM, HolyCowCm said:

Seems a far way bit too much of raising the fines. The average Thai cannot afford these things. I think it is only a money making machine.

Some of the fines (helmet) are reserved for mainly farang, Thai people don't seem to need to worry.....

On 9/3/2022 at 7:13 PM, Skip said:
On 9/3/2022 at 7:13 PM, Skip said:

That said... MY perspective is that Farang as a group tend to be targeted because being farang they do not pay much respect to the Thai laws... I have been stopped twice for not wearing a helmet when I first came here while many Thais in the same group of riders were given a pass for the same offense... doesn't excuse my breaking the rule, but the double standard can be frustrating... I now wear a helmet and haven't been stopped again... lesson learned.

Huh?  Not quite sure I understand.  You start by stating that foreigners are targeted because they don't respect the rules but then you say the Thai people also don't respect the rules yet AREN'T targeted.  Seems like the "targeting" has less to do with respecting the rules.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

On 9/5/2022 at 10:46 AM, Marc26 said:

Would like to see the improvement    but we all know this will not happen, not need to change any laws just try to enforce the existing ones.

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, MikeTexas said:

Huh?  Not quite sure I understand.  You start by stating that foreigners are targeted because they don't respect the rules but then you say the Thai people also don't respect the rules yet AREN'T targeted.  Seems like the "targeting" has less to do with respecting the rules.

Targeting refers to profiling one segment over another... let's assume farang and Thais equally do not respect the rules of riding scooters yet farang on a percentage basis (since there are fewer of them) are stopped and fined more than Thais... that's what  targeting is.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, MikeTexas said:

Some of the fines (helmet) are reserved for mainly farang, Thai people don't seem to need to worry.....

Depends where as in what city. My city of CM they are equal opportunity get your money.

8 hours ago, Thommo said:

Would like to see the improvement    but we all know this will not happen, not need to change any laws just try to enforce the existing ones.

Of course it happens

There has been change through the years for the better

You can see it

I grew up in the 70's in the US

Many here around the same time or earlier 

Our driving and road safety was absurd 

And then laws were put in place.

Attitudes change 

But for the miserables on here

It's better to bash everything

Makes them feel superior for once in their life 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Marc 26

What are you talking about?  USA or Thailand?

Atittudes have not changed.

Thailand is number 2 in the world for driving accidents.

So where is the change?

• Confused 1