News Forum - Pao Tang app provides free birth control from NHSO

Thaiger

The Thai government is addressing unwanted pregnancies in the country with a new programme offering free birth control pills. A deputy spokesperson for the government explained that the programme would help women get access to free birth control using a mobile app called Pao Tang. The campaign was created to try to slow the frequency of unintentional and unwanted pregnancies in the kingdom, with the spokesperson pointing out that the teen pregnancy rate in Thailand has been on the rise since 2016. The programme is aimed at slowing teen pregnancy but the birth control is available for Thai women between […]

The story Pao Tang app provides free birth control from NHSO as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

• Like 1

Great. but unfortunately, contraceptive pills does not prevent against HIV and other STDs. I suppose it's impossible to convince the cockerels to use condoms?

40 minutes ago, DoUKnowWhoIAm said:

Great. but unfortunately, contraceptive pills does not prevent against HIV and other STDs. I suppose it's impossible to convince the cockerels to use condoms?

FYI: Pre-exposure prophylaxis (or PrEP) is medicine taken to prevent getting HIV. PrEP is highly effective for preventing HIV when taken as prescribed. PrEP reduces the risk of getting HIV from sex by about 99%. PrEP reduces the risk of getting HIV from injection drug use by at least 74%.

It stands to reason that the day will come when contraceptive pills contain PrEP. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Fanta said:

FYI: Pre-exposure prophylaxis (or PrEP) is medicine taken to prevent getting HIV. PrEP is highly effective for preventing HIV when taken as prescribed. PrEP reduces the risk of getting HIV from sex by about 99%. PrEP reduces the risk of getting HIV from injection drug use by at least 74%.

It stands to reason that the day will come when contraceptive pills contain PrEP. 

Yes, Viatris  (formerly Mylan) is currently developing such combination called  DPP, dual prevention pill. But we still have the problem with gonorrhea,  clamydia, syphilis, hepatitis b&c etc.

1 hour ago, Fanta said:

Not only but also... Female to male HIV transmission is rare. The male would need to have broken skin on the areas coming into contact with infected blood or other intimate fluids.  

36 minutes ago, DoUKnowWhoIAm said:

Yes, Viatris  (formerly Mylan) is currently developing such combination called  DPP, dual prevention pill. But we still have the problem with gonorrhea,  clamydia, syphilis, hepatitis b&c etc.

These can be sorted out with a dose of antibiotics, except Hep, but there's a vaccine for Hep, and you need to be into some pretty disgusting play to get viral Hep sexually. 

Seldom wrapped it, will do if asked, and aside from a few bouts with Chlamydia I've made it to my 60's also I was responsible and had the snip decades ago!

46 minutes ago, Venusianhart said:

Not only but also... Female to male HIV transmission is rare. 

Rare? ….. Depending on viral load, sexual act, health etc - 

“the risk per sexual act was 0.04% if the female partner was HIV positive and the male partner was HIV negative. The risk was 0.08% when the male partner was HIV positive and the female partner HIV negative.”

https://www.aidsmap.com/about-hiv/vaginal-sex-and-risk-hiv-transmission

1 hour ago, Venusianhart said:

These can be sorted out with a dose of antibiotics, except Hep, but there's a vaccine for Hep, and you need to be into some pretty disgusting play to get viral Hep sexually. 

Seldom wrapped it, will do if asked, and aside from a few bouts with Chlamydia I've made it to my 60's also I was responsible and had the snip decades ago!

The DPP sounds great, in theory. But remember what target group were talking about. Thai teens who don't even know what a helmet is, riding 3 people on a motorbike etc. It needs to be administered as a depot injection in order to gain some kind of compliance or they'll need a meticulous mom who basically put the pill in their mouth every morning. And once theyre on the DPP, there's less incentive to force the guy to wear a condom to prevent the other STDs. Sure, there're antibiotics but scilent/asymptomatic chlamydia and syphilis is not uncommen, which could lead to serious complications and there's plenty of antibiotic resistent gonorrhea out there. I believe hepatitis b is part of Thailand's vaccin program, but remember 5-10% do not get any immune response. There's currently no vaccin against Hepatitis C,  and although low risk catching it through heterosexual contact, the impact could be quite serious if you're unlucky and get it.

It will be interesting to see to what extent their current program will reduce unwanted pregnancies, and also DPP if it indeed will be introduced in Thailand. Something needs to be done that's for sure, but I hope they won't forget the most important thing: education!

A deputy spokesperson for the government explained that the programme would help women get access to free birth control using a mobile app called Pao Tang

People in Thailand need a smartphone with loads of space. Everytime the government creates a program in order to help, it is somehow through a new app.