News Forum - Save power – government will pay half to clean your aircon

Thaiger

In order to help people struggling with the rising costs of electricity, the Thai government has offered to cover half the cost of having your aircon cleaned. A dirty air conditioner with a clogged filter can be unhealthy, and can significantly increase your aircon bill, so the Electricity Generating Authority of Thailand is repeating its previous “Clean Your Air for the Country” campaign. The programme aims to reduce the average customer’s electricity bill by up to 10% by getting their aircon to run more efficiently. EGAT will subsidise the cost of servicing one aircon unit per household, contributing 300 baht […]

The story Save power – government will pay half to clean your aircon as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

• Like 1

If remember correctly, CM is about 300 baht per unit as most places have more than one airconditioner. I have 6 of them. Surprised they didn't tell people not to be lazy and clean their aircon filters while having a snack of curry and rice and while chanting some Buddha things with a wooden pecker amulet on.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, HolyCowCm said:

If remember correctly, CM is about 300 baht per unit as most places have more than one airconditioner. I have 6 of them. Surprised they didn't tell people not to be lazy and clean their aircon filters while having a snack of curry and rice and while chanting some Buddha things with a wooden pecker amulet on.

I have a huge issue with AC in Thailand........unless it is central air I always end up getting sick because so many of them are not cleaned properly.............so often times I try and do without if not central AC, as much as I can

1 hour ago, Marc26 said:

I have a huge issue with AC in Thailand........unless it is central air I always end up getting sick because so many of them are not cleaned properly.............so often times I try and do without if not central AC, as much as I can

You mean sore throat or green flem balls? We clean ours quarterly at my house. But I know what you mean. I turn mine off about 2 am every night and turn in the fan. I just don’t think 12 -14 hours of AC is good for anyone. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, HolyCowCm said:

You mean sore throat or green flem balls? We clean ours quarterly at my house. But I know what you mean. I turn mine off about 2 am every night and turn in the fan. I just don’t think 12 -14 hours of AC is good for anyone. 

I agree, I don't think any AC(even clean) is good for you when exposed to it for hours

But for what happens to me, yes sore threat and flem............also feel a bit run down

So I try not to use it until I go to bed............I'd rather be a bit hot than use the AC too much

1 minute ago, Marc26 said:

I agree, I don't think any AC(even clean) is good for you when exposed to it for hours

But for what happens to me, yes sore threat and flem............also feel a bit run down

So I try not to use it until I go to bed............I'd rather be a bit hot than use the AC too much

Agree. Only use night time. Day time is for fans and open doors before the mosquitos come out. 

• Like 1

Wow! This is seriously the best idea this Government has put out in forever (other than the decriminalization of weed).  And i am not being sarcastic. If i read it right, the Government is offering 300  baht per household to subsidize the cleaning of aircons in the home; reducing cost to families (for the cleaning and future elec bills), improving efficiency, and offering a potential financial opportunity to those in the a/c business. The idea is unique, broad in scope, and at the same time simple. I hope this program succeeds and more like it are thought out.

if it goes tits up....I'll still back it

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Marc26 said:

We set our bedroom AC to switch off around midnight or 1am and will then turn on the ceiling fan.  Good thing with QCon (AAC block) walls is the temperature is maintained for many hours after the AC shuts down and even as it rises we find it quite comfortable.  Double glazing and heavy drapes help enormously.

Our 2 preferred AC installers charge ~400 to 500bt per unit for deep cleaning and we used to have it done each year in the old house.  The main reason for a deep clean is the washdown of internal rotary fan >

image.png.31b7dff94b9b8d0974e3d45f9fdb278a.png

A low power water pressure cleaner and custom-designed water catchment shute is used to clean the fan as no amount of vacuuming can reach inside. 

We've found we can go 3 to 4 years between deep cleans in the new house as location + quality window design doesn't draw in as much airborne dust.

10 hours ago, Tea said:

Wow! This is seriously the best idea this Government has put out in forever (other than the decriminalization of weed).  And i am not being sarcastic. If i read it right, the Government is offering 300  baht per household to subsidize the cleaning of aircons in the home; reducing cost to families (for the cleaning and future elec bills), improving efficiency, and offering a potential financial opportunity to those in the a/c business. The idea is unique, broad in scope, and at the same time simple. I hope this program succeeds and more like it are thought out.

if it goes tits up....I'll still back it

They will run out of $$$ half way.

13 hours ago, KaptainRob said:

We set our bedroom AC to switch off around midnight or 1am and will then turn on the ceiling fan.  Good thing with QCon (AAC block) walls is the temperature is maintained for many hours after the AC shuts down and even as it rises we find it quite comfortable.  Double glazing and heavy drapes help enormously.

Our 2 preferred AC installers charge ~400 to 500bt per unit for deep cleaning and we used to have it done each year in the old house.  The main reason for a deep clean is the washdown of internal rotary fan >

image.png.31b7dff94b9b8d0974e3d45f9fdb278a.png

A low power water pressure cleaner and custom-designed water catchment shute is used to clean the fan as no amount of vacuuming can reach inside. 

We've found we can go 3 to 4 years between deep cleans in the new house as location + quality window design doesn't draw in as much airborne dust.

Drapes

We have a portable AC and had it in the living room(with window cutouts) but wasn't cooling enough

I moved it to our bedroom and just placed it in the sliding glass window and we have thick drapes

So even with the sliding glass door open, we close the thick drapes and it stays very cool

When I go to hotels , I often open the aircon and remove the filter and clean it in the shower .

Quite often the filter is completely covered in a thick layer of dust , dirt and grime and seems like its never been cleansed ever before 

• Like 1

I've always done it, saves MONEY. Also, if it's over ten years old, and you own your place, renew the unit, and the fridge, and the washer. Old appliances cost a bloody fortune to run. I guarantee your bill will half and they'll pay for themselves in the savings within a year.

Edited by Venusianhart
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Fluke said:

When I go to hotels , I often open the aircon and remove the filter and clean it in the shower .

Quite often the filter is completely covered in a thick layer of dust , dirt and grime and seems like its never been cleansed ever before 

Funny you should mention that, it's one of my pet hates with hotels and restaurants.  The last time (emphasis on last!) we visited an upmarket CM golf-course restaurant I noticed all ceiling ac vents were clogged with filth ... food had gone to the crapper as well ...

In Prachuap KK we have a contractor clean ours once a year...It costs 400 baht.  We let the neighbors know when we order and the cleaning team usually spends at least a half a day in our soi.

• Like 1