News Forum - Bangkok motorcycle taxi driver arrested for attempted rape and kidnap of a teenage student

Thaiger

A motorcycle taxi driver, Somsak Jangsat, was arrested in the Phra Khanong area of Bangkok yesterday after he tried to rape a teenage girl. Somsak tricked the 17 year old student into using his taxi service saying he would take her home after school but instead kidnapped the girl and took her to a love motel where he tried to rape her. The victim had used the taxi rider yesterday morning to go to school, and when he offered to pick her up and take her home after classes finished she accepted because other riders had done this before and […]

The story Bangkok motorcycle taxi rider arrested for attempted rape and kidnap of a teenage student as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

• Angry 1

No wonder people like "boss' disappear the cops here are officially assisting criminals to evade the law by not immediately pressing charges and locking these mongrels up.

They give them free time to go and organise brown envelopes etc to pervert the course of justice.

This is one of the reasons why Pnut is doomed to failure.

• Like 2

I’ve said it before and I will say it again. I find it utterly incredible that across the world, it’s acceptable to allow your wife, sister, mother, daughter or girlfriend to get in to a cab, or in this case on a motorcycle with a man who is an absolute stranger. Taxis should only be via a call centre as a minimum and ideally every city should have female drivers for female customers.

It’s madness to see young girls hailing a cab at 1am and getting in the back. Doors locked and off they go in to the night. My only surprise is that there are not more cases like this

It's okay, ts a domestic dispute???????

Are people okay with abuse if it is domestic.

Amazing Thailand,ets Wai and smile and rape.  It's okay, it's my wife..........

• Like 2

"the rider pretended the student was his wife." 

If your wife still wears a school uniform, you're instantly wrong already. Who was going to believe that? 

55 minutes ago, RichardR said:

It's okay, ts a domestic dispute???????

Are people okay with abuse if it is domestic.

Amazing Thailand,ets Wai and smile and rape.  It's okay, it's my wife..........

Not in all cases, as you might have read that someone started to film it and warned the police. 

But yeah, it's a different culture. In most countries that I have been in Asia, it's normal not to interrupt in someone else's business if it's none of your business. Overall it's actually a pretty good thing, except for this side effect. 

9 hours ago, Soidog said:

Taxis should only be via a call centre as a minimum and ideally every city should have female drivers for female customers.

That's impossible in Bangkok, unless you want them to arrive 5 hours later. Most of these jobs are taken by men and not very interesting for women. It's not just 1 woman who wants to take a taxi, there are probably hundreds at the same time. Not enough female drivers for the amount of women who need a taxi. 

Besides that, everyone needs to learn to be independent eventually. That can't be done if you never allow them to go on their own. Of course things like in the article happen, but it's a bit like Covid, a death rarely happens if you check the amount of people who didn't get much. Something like this rarely happens. Making women take female drivers because of this reason will also make women look at guys as if every one of them will do such things.

Punish the guy hard enough to warn others not to do the same. Life has risks, little ones, bigger ones, terrible ones, but risks will never go. 

If enough female drivers can be found, it would be a good idea to at least have the choice maybe. 

5 hours ago, DiJoDavO said:

That's impossible in Bangkok, unless you want them to arrive 5 hours later. Most of these jobs are taken by men and not very interesting for women. It's not just 1 woman who wants to take a taxi, there are probably hundreds at the same time. Not enough female drivers for the amount of women who need a taxi. 

Besides that, everyone needs to learn to be independent eventually. That can't be done if you never allow them to go on their own. Of course things like in the article happen, but it's a bit like Covid, a death rarely happens if you check the amount of people who didn't get much. Something like this rarely happens. Making women take female drivers because of this reason will also make women look at guys as if every one of them will do such things.

Punish the guy hard enough to warn others not to do the same. Life has risks, little ones, bigger ones, terrible ones, but risks will never go. 

If enough female drivers can be found, it would be a good idea to at least have the choice maybe. 

I agree that cases are very low; although I’m not sure the Covid comparison is reasonable. One is a natural phenomena and the other is how we organise society and hence within our gift to manage and control.

There are always many practical problems in introducing change to any large scale established system. People faced the same arguments with next day delivery on orders placed online. Now, in some countries, you can get delivery within the hour. It takes ingenuity and creativity along with a vision to bring about such change.  I didn’t say, nor think every woman would wish to insist on a female driver, simply that the choice should be there, as it is in many other countries.  

Finally, I agree life always has risks. But again, if we always took that view then we would still have large scale deaths in the mining and construction industry. Changes to health & safety and financial punishment to large companies has brought those numbers down. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Soidog said:

I didn’t say, nor think every woman would wish to insist on a female driver

One of the sentences was worded in a way that made me think this haha. But I added also at the end that having a choice would be better as I  already thought what I quoted above would be impossible 🙂

• Like 1