News Forum - Wearing face masks in Bangkok soon to be dropped

Thaiger

3 hours ago, Soidog said:

Or there could be a lot more if no one was wearing them?….

Well there was a lot more. The government just didn’t report them.

South Korea, even more highly mask compliant than Thailand, reported cases equal to something around 75% of its population. 

we should know the proportion of the Thai population that has had covid. It’s a not difficult sample to do yet they don’t do it.

Everyone wondered why Africa and India had so few cases and then they go back and test and find out up to 80% of the population has infection antibodies. 

• Like 1

The stupid thing about masks in Thailand is that half the population was wearing them before the cov2 just for exhaust fumes.👍

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, JJJ said:

Well there was a lot more. The government just didn’t report them.

South Korea, even more highly mask compliant than Thailand, reported cases equal to something around 75% of its population. 

we should know the proportion of the Thai population that has had covid. It’s a not difficult sample to do yet they don’t do it.

Everyone wondered why Africa and India had so few cases and then they go back and test and find out up to 80% of the population has infection antibodies. 

Exactly, masks, no masks no difference, even vaccines, you can still get cov2 with 1-2-3-4 vaccines, when they say a yearly one that you have to pay for people may think twice.

3 hours ago, Thaidup said:

Exactly, masks, no masks no difference, even vaccines, you can still get cov2 with 1-2-3-4 vaccines, when they say a yearly one that you have to pay for people may think twice.

Yes the medical bureaucrats are laying a trap. There has never been a vaccine for corona viruses or influenza. They mutate fast enough to evade both natural and vaccine induced immunity.  They will continue to milk the new variants and sub variants for all its worth. 

The simple fact is you’re likely to be infected with this covid virus several times during your life. But each time will be less severe (now most people get a stuffy nose) and then get over it. But it will still come in waves and I worry governments are going to continue to roll out the same failed policies  

And just like flu older people with failing immunity will be at risk of death. So they can take a yearly covid/flu shot to help and wear masks if they want  

Plus there’s effective antiviral medicine available. It’s over stocked in the west already so if Thailand doesn’t have enough shame on them. It’s cheaper to treat what 1/10 of infected than to continue forcing boosters on everyone. 

Because of all of that, there’s no point in trying to avoid the inevitable with masks and other avoidance measures if you’re at low risk—and especially the huge part of the population that has already recovered and taken the shot (not really a vaccine).  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 6/7/2022 at 10:48 AM, Rookiescot said:

See this is where it all goes wrong. People do not wear masks 24/7. So the virus still spreads. However clowns like you seem to think that this means masks are ineffective. 

Stop being an idiot. Just admit the fact you don't like wearing a mask BECAUSE you feel less at risk. 

Its as simple as that. You do not want to be inconvenienced so to hell with anyone who is more vulnerable than you.  

More name calling.  

Good friend of mine is triple vaxed and is compliant with masks everywhere he goes.  got covid

Another friend and  wife (Thai couple) follow the mask rules strictly even when just hanging out at my house, got covid (and no, not at my house).  

It's people like you who demand that a negative is disproven and use pseudoscience that are the problem.  

On 6/7/2022 at 5:25 PM, Soidog said:

Or there could be a lot more if no one was wearing them?….

looking at charts of areas with high compliance vs areas with no rules or low compliance tells a different story.  they have no effect.  even the CDC has come out and stated that cloth masks do nothing.  

40 minutes ago, MrNovax said:

looking at charts of areas with high compliance vs areas with no rules or low compliance tells a different story.  they have no effect.  even the CDC has come out and stated that cloth masks do nothing.  

Yes cloth masks. What about other types of masks? When was the last time you even saw cloth masks for sale?

43 minutes ago, MrNovax said:

More name calling.  

Good friend of mine is triple vaxed and is compliant with masks everywhere he goes.  got covid

Another friend and  wife (Thai couple) follow the mask rules strictly even when just hanging out at my house, got covid (and no, not at my house).  

It's people like you who demand that a negative is disproven and use pseudoscience that are the problem.  

Good friend of mine was unvaxed and got hit by a truck.

32 minutes ago, Rookiescot said:

Yes cloth masks. What about other types of masks? When was the last time you even saw cloth masks for sale?

i see people wearing them all the time

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Rookiescot said:

Good friend of mine was unvaxed and got hit by a truck.

the difference is, my anecdotal stories are directly relevant and i know many more people who drink the kool-aid and "follow the science" yet still end up with covid.  so if taking these precautions dont protect you from the illness, whats the point of them?

19 minutes ago, MrNovax said:

i see people wearing them all the time

Really? I have never seen anyone in a cloth mask for over a year and this is the basis for your entire "Masks dont work" argument?

I never see them on sale anywhere either. 

So once again all YOUR evidence is simply anecdotal.

The thing is. I have no intention of trying to convince you to wear a mask.  If you dont want to wear one then go somewhere you do not have to.

No amount of factual evidence I bring will convince you. You have already decided that doing the right thing as society requests is not for you because you are special.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MrNovax said:

Totally impossible to compare one country with another. A whole host of issues are at play and it’s simply impossible to extrapolate data (as varied as it is) and determine the efficacy of mask wearing.

I would agree with you that cloth masks or surgical masks are of little use. I’m not of the same opinion when it comes to properly worn N95 masks. I never cease to be amazed how many people were their mask exposing their nose. Utterly crazy to even bother with a mask if you wear it like that. Like wearing a condom with a hole in it. Pointless! 

20 hours ago, Soidog said:

Totally impossible to compare one country with another. A whole host of issues are at play and it’s simply impossible to extrapolate data (as varied as it is) and determine the efficacy of mask wearing.

I would agree with you that cloth masks or surgical masks are of little use. I’m not of the same opinion when it comes to properly worn N95 masks. I never cease to be amazed how many people were their mask exposing their nose. Utterly crazy to even bother with a mask if you wear it like that. Like wearing a condom with a hole in it. Pointless! 

You can absolutely compare different countries.  Obviously you need to take other factors into account but it would be foolish not to observe what other countries are doing and rate the effectiveness. 

Luckily, the United States is 1 country with 50 different sets of rules.  So its easy to compare New York with Pennsylvania or North Carolina with South Carolina or Southern California with Florida.  

21 hours ago, Rookiescot said:

Really? I have never seen anyone in a cloth mask for over a year and this is the basis for your entire "Masks dont work" argument?

None of the masks work.  As usual you are distorting my argument and then attacking the distortion. 

But to your greater point, 95% of masks i see are cloth masks or surgical masks.   I almost never see an N95 or a mask of greater significance.  In the picture to this story i count 4 cloth masks, 2 surgical, and 1 that i cant really tell.  

21 hours ago, Rookiescot said:

No amount of factual evidence I bring will convince you. You have already decided that doing the right thing as society requests is not for you because you are special.

"Society" hasn't decided, government goons have.  If "society" decided then we wouldn't need laws because everybody would mask up on their own.  

And im not special, im just not dumb enough to believe a piece of fabric or woven plastic that i can vape through (vape droplets are bigger than a virus) will magically stop a microscopic organism the same as i know that a chain link fence doesn't keep out mosquitos 

23 minutes ago, MrNovax said:

"Society" hasn't decided, government goons have.  If "society" decided then we wouldn't need laws because everybody would mask up on their own.  

And im not special, im just not dumb enough to believe a piece of fabric or woven plastic that i can vape through (vape droplets are bigger than a virus) will magically stop a microscopic organism the same as i know that a chain link fence doesn't keep out mosquitos 

Covid droplets are larger than vapors,  same reason doctors and nurses wear masks.  Droplets from a sneeze or cough can be stopped from entering your mouth or nose if you are wearing a mask.  Social distancing is key as well.  National institute of health summary statement in part from one of their studies:

"We show that the use of masks will reduce the airborne droplet transmission and will also protect the wearer from the droplets expelled from other subjects. However, many droplets still spread around and away from the cover, cumulatively, during cough cycles. Therefore, the use of a mask does not provide complete protection, and social distancing remains important during a pandemic. "

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, MrNovax said:

None of the masks work.  As usual you are distorting my argument and then attacking the distortion. 

But to your greater point, 95% of masks i see are cloth masks or surgical masks.   I almost never see an N95 or a mask of greater significance.  In the picture to this story i count 4 cloth masks, 2 surgical, and 1 that i cant really tell.  

I have no idea where you live nor do I want to know but round here you NEVER see cloth masks which is what your entire premise is based on.

34 minutes ago, MrNovax said:

The virus needs another medium in order to spread. The virus does not emerge from people without it.

Normally it is via water/mucous droplets when infected people cough or sneeze.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, ExpatPattaya said:

Covid droplets are larger than vapors,  same reason doctors and nurses wear masks.  Droplets from a sneeze or cough can be stopped from entering your mouth or nose if you are wearing a mask.  Social distancing is key as well.  National institute of health summary statement in part from one of their studies:

"We show that the use of masks will reduce the airborne droplet transmission and will also protect the wearer from the droplets expelled from other subjects. However, many droplets still spread around and away from the cover, cumulatively, during cough cycles. Therefore, the use of a mask does not provide complete protection, and social distancing remains important during a pandemic. "

large droplets dont remain "airborne", it is the small droplets that linger that are supposedly the culprit.  but  if you walk through them with a mask on you simply have them on your mask, stuck to your face, and easily inhaled from there.  

if we are just going off of coughing and sneezing then there would be no need for the mask in the first place, people would just need to cover their mouth as coughs and sneezes happened.  the supposed point of the mask is because virus particles would be circulating in the air which means they are extremely light (light enough to be airborne).  

and doctors and nurses dont wear surgical masks to protect themselves.  they wear them during surgery to protect the open wound.