News Forum - Wearing face masks in Bangkok soon to be dropped

Thaiger

The Centre for Covid-19 Situation Administration acknowledged there is a chance the Thai government will soon drop mask-wearing requirements in some public locations and allow night venues to stay open until 2am. Some restrictions were lifted at nightlife venues on June 1, but any further extensions to opening hours will be based on infection numbers, with the CCSA reviewing the Covid situation every 10 days. CCSA chief, Supoj Malaniyom, revealed that officials are meeting on Friday to debate whether to extend the opening hours of night venues. “Given the current situation of Covid-19 and good public compliance, to previously approved […]

The story Wearing face masks in Bangkok soon to be dropped as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

No masks. Masks. No masks. Masks. I'll believe it when it's announced. Until then I will remain wearing masks in trains, supermarkets, hospitals etc and I'll remain getting dirty looks walking around the moo baan and in the park. 

• Like 5

An official from the BMA’s medical department insists the mask-wearing mandate must remain in place until Bangkok has fewer than 500 new Covid cases.

Who is this person ?  Are they a “work experience student “ do they have any knowledge of what is happening in other parts of the world ?

less than 500 new covid cases in a population of what 10 million , 12 million. It’s so far from reality how did they get their job ? 
If they are serious about less than 500 cases how about applying same figure to STD ‘s or heart disease or traffic deaths ? 

• Like 5
  • Angry 1

11 minutes ago, Davefrombrisbane2 said:

An official from the BMA’s medical department insists the mask-wearing mandate must remain in place until Bangkok has fewer than 500 new Covid cases.

Who is this person ?  Are they a “work experience student “ do they have any knowledge of what is happening in other parts of the world ?

less than 500 new covid cases in a population of what 10 million , 12 million. It’s so far from reality how did they get their job ? 
If they are serious about less than 500 cases how about applying same figure to STD ‘s or heart disease or traffic deaths ? 

Just the height of pseudo science here or better described as, no science at all. 

There's a medical official somewhere else quoting "some countries have even allowed citizens to remove masks outside".........Yes,  try almost EVERY other country in the world bar about 5.... Wake up Thailand!!!

• Like 4

21 minutes ago, Davefrombrisbane2 said:

Who is this person ?

Let me guess: his 6-letter name starts with a and ends with n... 😄

• Haha 1

I mean, first the fear was Songran would bring cases back up to new highs.  That didn't happen.  Then allowing more venues to open would bring Covid 19 cases roaring back to unseen levels.  Clearly that hasn't happened and in fact cases are now down to new lows. Now they say allowing  these business to remain open until 2AM instead of midnight is going to bring about Armageddon.   It's time to stop.  If you want to wear a mask, by all means wear one but don't force other to do same.  Funny to see people driving motorcycles without a helmet while being compelled to wear a face mask.  Which case has the greater potential for a disastrous outcome? Just doesn't make sense to me. I think and hope they will change this soon.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Davefrombrisbane2 said:

Not sure masks help with STD's, heart disease or traffic deaths.

• Like 1

Maybe read between the lines ….

News Forum - Wearing face masks in Bangkok soon to be dropped, for TWO days, before being reinstated.

‘Just like Phuket. 🤣🤣🤣

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Rookiescot said:

Not sure masks help with STD's, heart disease or traffic deaths.

Masks help those diseases or incidence about as much as they help stop spread of COVID. 

And the point is valid. Say the population is 12 million and people on average get the flu every 5 years. That alone equates to 2,400,000 cases per year and on average 6,500 cases per day. Now cases tend to come in waves and maybe it’s every 10 years.

But the point is 500 cases is so infinitesimally small. There may never be a time ever again when Bangkok in fact has fewer than 500 covid infections per day.

And to say they’re only talking about positive tests completely misses the mark. Public health policy shouldn’t be dictated by a metric that itself has been manipulated so much it has no meaning like the current testing figures.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, JJJ said:

Masks help those diseases or incidence about as much as they help stop spread of COVID. 

And the point is valid. Say the population is 12 million and people on average get the flu every 5 years. That alone equates to 2,400,000 cases per year and on average 6,500 cases per day. Now cases tend to come in waves and maybe it’s every 10 years.

But the point is 500 cases is so infinitesimally small. There may never be a time ever again when Bangkok in fact has fewer than 500 covid infections per day.

And to say they’re only talking about positive tests completely misses the mark. Public health policy shouldn’t be dictated by a metric that itself has been manipulated so much it has no meaning like the current testing figures.  

But masks do work. I know you dont like that but hey its a fact.

The fact you believe they do not means you are nothing more than yet another covid conspiracy theorist. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

The fact you believe they do not means you are nothing more than yet another covid conspiracy theorist. 

Masks have absolutely no benefit outdoors.

If you want to protect yourself indoors in a closed environment you can wear a snug fitting N95. For surgical masks, almost all of the airflow in and out goes through the gaps. It only prevents droplets. My mask doesn’t protect you  

Im not a conspiracy theorist. I look a facts. But go cling to your superstitious mask. 

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, Davefrombrisbane2 said:

It defies logic.

It's just another form of control and moving the goalposts.

In Malaysia, the outdoor mask mandate was scrapped when cases fell below 5000 nationwide.

Singapore scrapped its outdoor mask mandate when cases went below roughly 3000.

I haven't seen the provincial breakdown over the past couple of days, but with 2100/2200 cases recorded yesterday/today respectively, Bangkok's share is probably down to a little under 1000. However, the number usually rises a little on Wednesdays.

By this time next week, if things continue to head in the right direction, then we should be down to 1200-1500 cases nationwide, with Bangkok's share down to somewhere between 500-800.

• Like 1

No, they dont.  And no amount of name calling changes that fact.  if they did then there would be no covid in BKK as everyone is wearing a mask.  

32 minutes ago, JJJ said:

If you want to protect yourself indoors in a closed environment you can wear a snug fitting N95. For surgical masks, almost all of the airflow in and out goes through the gaps. It only prevents droplets. My mask doesn’t protect you  

Im not a conspiracy theorist. I look a facts. But go cling to your superstitious mask. 

Are you hearing yourself? The virus needs to spread via droplets of water from some ones breath. Ergo masks help.

I am so bloody sick of having to repeat this to the anti vaxxer mask opponents. You have not followed the facts. What you have done is listen to clowns spreading lies.

3 minutes ago, Highlandman said:

It defies logic.

By this time next week, if things continue to head in the right direction, then we should be down to 1200-1500 cases nationwide, with Bangkok's share down to somewhere between 500-800.

Pnut and Co have another believer in their (mis) representation  on reality of the Covid situation in Thailand.

They are not counting anymore (they didn't want to count ever).

We had possibly 25-30 cases in our village and not one was included in the official figures. Area of Province had 3 for the week.

Countrys like Australia, 25 million, are polling 30,000 a day ( they count ) and a country of 65 million is only having a few thousand? Yeah right. "Amazing Thailand" even defeats Covid.

8 minutes ago, MrNovax said:

No, they dont.  And no amount of name calling changes that fact.  if they did then there would be no covid in BKK as everyone is wearing a mask.  

See this is where it all goes wrong. People do not wear masks 24/7. So the virus still spreads. However clowns like you seem to think that this means masks are ineffective. 

Stop being an idiot. Just admit the fact you don't like wearing a mask BECAUSE you feel less at risk. 

Its as simple as that. You do not want to be inconvenienced so to hell with anyone who is more vulnerable than you.  

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, JJJ said:

Lol, it's no use discussing this with him😂 he's not open for discussion, because whoever doesn't share the same thoughts with him is immediately a conspiracy theorist and what not. 

Some people still cling to certain things because they won't admit that they were afraid of a paper tiger. 

What will it take to these Anti maskers? How would you feel standing in Big Cs check out and some idiot maskless stands behind you and coughs and sneezes all over you. A couple of days later your not feeling chippa. Will it sink in this idiot probably infected you with Covid?

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, vlad said:

What will it take to these Anti maskers? How would you feel standing in Big Cs check out and some idiot maskless stands behind you and coughs and sneezes all over you. A couple of days later your not feeling chippa. Will it sink in this idiot probably infected you with Covid?

The op is about not having to wear masks OUTDOORS.  

I am not against the masks, and I know they work to help reduce the spread and are clearly a  good idea for vulnerable people to wear.

But it will be amazing and a relief not to have to wear them outside.  I find them very uncomfortable when I am out walking my dogs or cycling in the hot weather. And it's really stupid to have to wear them in a car or on your scooter, or just when you are outdoors in a quiet area with few or no people about.

But, I still want the to be mandatory inside public places like shopping malls, public transport etc. 

Edited by JakCM
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Rookiescot said:

Are you hearing yourself? The virus needs to spread via droplets of water from some ones breath. Ergo masks help.

I am so bloody sick of having to repeat this to the anti vaxxer mask opponents. You have not followed the facts. What you have done is listen to clowns spreading lies.

There you go, clearly no idea.

Most people who are anti mask mandates are actually pro vaccination, don't conflate the two.

Following the facts,  means you'd understand mass mandates of masks haven't and don't work against Omicron anywhere in the world. 

Hence countries like Japan, South Korea have the same curves as those with no public health restrictions at all. 

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, MrNovax said:

Or there could be a lot more if no one was wearing them?….

10 hours ago, Rookiescot said:

Just post the study that proves it.

I am sure they helped the elderly and obese people, but you can't make a mandate for fat and old people to wear a mask, that would appear as discrimination, so they had to mandate it for everyone, simple as that.

57 minutes ago, Thaidup said:

Just post the study that proves it.

I am sure they helped the elderly and obese people, but you can't make a mandate for fat and old people to wear a mask, that would appear as discrimination, so they had to mandate it for everyone, simple as that.

They have been posted dozens of times and yet here you are still claiming masks dont work so whats the point?

53 minutes ago, Rookiescot said:

They have been posted dozens of times and yet here you are still claiming masks dont work so whats the point?

Link? Masks will not stop the spread. prove me wrong. Even the NYT had to admit that the mandates made no difference, I can't post the story because it is behind a paywall, but the jist is that mask mandates had no better outcome than no mask mandate,

Screenshot 2022-06-08 at 07-31-35 Why Masks Work but Mandates Haven’t.png