Covid extension still possible?

Hi, I've been in Thailand for quite a while now and had a few COVID extensions, all without a problem. 

My wife and I are working on a type o visa, but we can't get it done in time before my extension expires.

Did anyone here successfully get a COVID extension in this last period (26 march - 25 May)?

When does your current permission of stay expire?
A further Covid extension application before May 25th would be at the discretion of Immigration in granting it.

49 minutes ago, Toonick said:

My wife and I are working on a type o visa, but we can't get it done in time before my extension expires.

You need at least 15 days permission of stay remaining to apply for the change of status to Non Immigrant (Non O) and 800K in a Thai bank account. If you've been here for a while already, you should have planned more appropriately.

• Like 1

It's 400k right? Or did they change this?

With all due respect, if you're not answering my question why do you reply? I'm not seeking or asking for your judgment. 

27 minutes ago, Toonick said:

With all due respect, if you're not answering my question why do you reply? I'm not seeking or asking for your judgment. 

With all due respect, give the correct information, and I'll answer. I don't have a crystal ball!
I asked when your current permission of stay expires, without answer.
The advice could depend on your answer as to your options.

30 minutes ago, Toonick said:

It's 400k right? Or did they change this?

Is your wife Thai?
You previously stated ''my wife and I'' as if she too was a foreigner and required a Non O.

I am trying to help, but you have to give me more details in order to give the correct information.

Further Covid extensions are at the discretion of Immigration.

Your wife is Thai, I assume?
Did you marry in Thailand?
Have you as yet applied for a 60-day extension to 'visit Thai spouse'?
When does your current permission of stay expire?

Hi Faz,

Sorry that I was unclear and I know you're trying to help. 

- My wife is Thai, we married recently in Bangkok. 
- No I haven't applied for that. I'm currently on a tourist visa (60 days + 30 days extension) and already used 2 COVID extensions without a problem
- My current covid extension expires on 26 May

I have to go to Chaeng wattana tomorrow because my 90 day reporting didn't work online and they told me to visit the immigration. I would like to extend my visa at the same time because it's always quite a hassle to get there.

1 hour ago, Toonick said:

Hi Faz,

Sorry that I was unclear and I know you're trying to help. 

- My wife is Thai, we married recently in Bangkok. 
- No I haven't applied for that. I'm currently on a tourist visa (60 days + 30 days extension) and already used 2 COVID extensions without a problem
- My current covid extension expires on 26 May

I have to go to Chaeng wattana tomorrow because my 90 day reporting didn't work online and they told me to visit the immigration. I would like to extend my visa at the same time because it's always quite a hassle to get there.

If the wife can go with you and take your marriage certificate, you can apply for a 60-day extension to 'visit Thai spouse'. Form TM7. https://thethaiger.com/talk/topic/1864-immigration-application-forms-for-download/#comment-7202

When married to a Thai, you can apply for the standard 30-day extension under clause 2.4 of order of 327-2557  (2014) - Criteria for extension ENG.pdf + an additional 60 days to visit Thai spouse under clause 2.24

For the Non O application, you require 400K THB in a Thai bank account in your sole name on the day of submission. You have more than sufficient permission of stay left to do that now.
The procedure is here: VE-TV to Non O Spouse.pdf 

I can supply a list of documents required to apply for the Non O when ready.
Your wife must attend with you.

• Like 2

Thank you for the detailed information

I would like to get the Non O visa, but I don't have a Thai bank account, all my savings are in my EUR account. I do share a bank account with my Thai wife, but it's in her name. I was under the impression (read) that you can't open a Thai bank as a foreigner. Do you know the proces of this? 

Tomorrow I will bring the marriage certificate and my wife and I will tell the immigration officer that I would like to get a 'Visit Thai spouse' extension, is that correct? The TM7 I always use for extending and it doesn't specify this. 

2 hours ago, Toonick said:

I have to go to Chaeng wattana tomorrow because my 90 day reporting didn't work online and they told me to visit the immigration.

You don't submit 90-day reports until you have a 1-year extension.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Toonick said:

Tomorrow I will bring the marriage certificate and my wife and I will tell the immigration officer that I would like to get a 'Visit Thai spouse' extension, is that correct? The TM7 I always use for extending and it doesn't specify this. 

On the TM7 form, it requests the 'reason' for the extension application.

State 'To visit Thai spouse'.

57 minutes ago, Toonick said:

I would like to get the Non O visa, but I don't have a Thai bank account, all my savings are in my EUR account. I do share a bank account with my Thai wife, but it's in her name. I was under the impression (read) that you can't open a Thai bank as a foreigner. Do you know the proces of this? 

Almost every foreigner staying long term in Thailand has a Thai bank account, as it's an Immigration requirement. The account must be in your sole name.
327-2557 (2014) - Criteria for extension ENG.pdf 
Read clause 2.18, section (6).
(6) In the case of marriage to a Thai woman, the alien husband must earn an average annual income of no less than Baht 40,000 per month or must have no less than Baht 400,000 in a bank account in Thailand for the past two months to cover expenses for one year.

Opening a bank account.
https://www.bangkokbank.com/en/Personal/Save-And-Invest/Save/Savings-Account

2. Foreigner without work permit

• Passport
  • A reference letter issued by one of the following institutes or organizations or required document
    • Embassy located  in Thailand 
    • An overseas bank where the customer holds an account sent via SWIFT 
    • Trusted individuals such as a Bangkok Bank staff member or customer, director of a private company, permanent residence in Thailand, government or private educational institutes located in Thailand trusted by the Bank
    • Trusted companies, e.g., an employment letter from the company if the customer is in the process of applying for a work permit.
    • Document showing ownership of a fixed asset such as a condominium sale/purchase agreement (a condominium which is acceptable to Bangkok Bank) Or a property reservation agreement valued at 100,000 baht or more with a reference letter from the property developer that is acceptable to Bangkok Bank.

Notes: Contact addresses for both Thailand and overseas must be provided (hotel and P.O. Box addresses are not acceptable).

On 5/5/2022 at 10:17 PM, Faz said:

You don't submit 90-day reports until you have a 1-year extension.

I had to do a 90 day report and they gave me a fine because I was 'too late'. They declined my online 90 days for no reason and they demanded 2000 baht even though my online application was on time. It's absolutely impossible to reason with those people it seems.

Thank you for the information about the Thai bank account. 

As to update my Covid extension request: they stamped my passport to 27 May (previously it was 25 May) and told me to come back on that day with only my passport to get the covid extension. It's basically approved but they didn't stamp it yet. No real explanation though, but other people had the same.

26 minutes ago, Toonick said:

As to update my Covid extension request: they stamped my passport to 27 May (previously it was 25 May) and told me to come back on that day with only my passport to get the covid extension. It's basically approved but they didn't stamp it yet. No real explanation though, but other people had the same.

Nothing is basically approved in Thailand unless it is (in this case) stamped in your passport.

I would front at the latest 25th  May, not the 27th as you may just get told "Solly too late, cut off 25th."

For gods sake DON"T try to reason with a Thai Immigration Officer, just agree to everything they say and politely ask how to fix it if there is a problem. Don't raise your voice or get angry, 2 worst things you can do.

Good luck, read more on this Forum as it seems you are a newby and need some guidance in some areas.

Plenty of wise old heads here that have been there done that in Thailand.

1 hour ago, Toonick said:

I had to do a 90 day report and they gave me a fine because I was 'too late'. They declined my online 90 days for no reason and they demanded 2000 baht even though my online application was on time. It's absolutely impossible to reason with those people it seems.

You don't submit 90-day reports as a Tourist.
90 day reports are only submitted if you are granted more than 90 consecutive days stay in Thailand.
You have never been granted more than 60 days before visiting an IO again.
Which is why you were declined online.

I suspect you applied for the transition to Non O, the 2000 baht fee is non-refundable if refused.

What form did you present to them?