Need advice on a Visa run to Cambodia from Thailand

Hi Everyone,

Has anyone made a visa run recently?  I need some advice.  Here's my visa situation...

I entered Thailand on a STV Visa a year ago and renewed it twice for a total of 9 months and then got two 60 day extensions. You can't convert the STV Visa to any other type of visa so I have to do a visa run in order to get a regular 30 day stamp so that I can convert that to the Retirement Visa.

My plan is to fly to Phnom Pen for a day or two and then come back.  Any thoughts on whether or not I'll have problems coming back into Thailand?  I'm afraid that applying for a visa at the Thai embassy in Phnom Pen may complicate things so I'm thing about just getting a thirty day stamp when I fly back.

I would appreciate you thoughts on this.

Thank you.

you may have trouble entering Thailand on a visa exempt entry as you have been in Thailand for an extended stay already, if you have the 800,000 thb can you not obtain a non imm 'O' visa.

1 hour ago, cockneyboy said:

you may have trouble entering Thailand on a visa exempt entry as you have been in Thailand for an extended stay already, if you have the 800,000 thb can you not obtain a non imm 'O' visa.

Why?

I see no barrier to him getting the visa exempt......... he can then get converted in Thailand and do an extension from that.

9 minutes ago, Chaimai said:

Why?

I see no barrier to him getting the visa exempt......... he can then get converted in Thailand and do an extension from that.

yes he can, but only if they allow entry. your opinion differs from mine, but is no more correct

1 hour ago, cockneyboy said:

yes he can, but only if they allow entry. your opinion differs from mine, but is no more correct

My opinion is more accurate because it is based on experience. Also you did not answer my question, why?  I would be fascinated to here your evidence for any possible denial of entry. I will, of course, defer to @Fazand his extensive knowledge should I be proved wrong.

He will have no issues with a visa exempt entry.

If asked about a flight out of Thailand he can then explain that he is going to visit Immigration to arrange his long stay visa/extension.

14 hours ago, Homie said:

My plan is to fly to Phnom Pen for a day or two and then come back.  Any thoughts on whether or not I'll have problems coming back into Thailand?  I'm afraid that applying for a visa at the Thai embassy in Phnom Pen may complicate things so I'm thing about just getting a thirty day stamp when I fly back.

Remember that you will need to apply for the Thailand Pass to re-enter the country. Vaccine cert. Test and Go booking. Covid insurance.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, M.O. said:

Remember that you will need to apply for the Thailand Pass to re-enter the country. Vaccine cert. Test and Go booking. Covid insurance.

Hopefully, another month or two and they will drop that Thailand Pass/testing nonsense.

It has been proposed that Test and Go be cancelled from 1st May. That may or may not happen.

However, it was also mentioned that the Thailand Pass will remain in place. Covid insurance will probably remain a requirement. It is the tourist tax in disguise.

5 hours ago, M.O. said:

It has been proposed that Test and Go be cancelled from 1st May. That may or may not happen.

However, it was also mentioned that the Thailand Pass will remain in place. Covid insurance will probably remain a requirement. It is the tourist tax in disguise.

That I can live with....

On 4/12/2022 at 10:00 AM, Chaimai said:

That's a big call.

IMO the op would be best advised to obtain a tourist visa and then obtain his non O retirement at Thai immigration. 

I would not recommend returning to Thailand to enter visa exempt based on his history and planned turn around of couple of days. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, jackbendigo said:

That's a big call.

IMO the op would be best advised to obtain a tourist visa and then obtain his non O retirement at Thai immigration. 

I would not recommend returning to Thailand to enter visa exempt based on his history and planned turn around of couple of days. 

30-day Visa Entries Now Limited to 2
Foreigners under the Visa Exemption List who are entering Thailand via border posts at Cambodia, Laos, Myanmar, and Malaysia without securing a prior visa will now be granted 30-day visa exemption stamp TWO times per calendar year, from January 1 to December 31.

8 minutes ago, Chaimai said:

Foreigners under the Visa Exemption List who are entering Thailand via border posts at Cambodia, Laos, Myanmar, and Malaysia without securing a prior visa will now be granted 30-day visa exemption stamp TWO times per calendar year, from January 1 to December 31.

OP wanna fly

41 minutes ago, Faz said:

No 'official' limit of 30 day VE entries by air.

That is why I wrote "Op wanna fly",  entering Thailand via border posts is crossing land borders

20 minutes ago, Guest1 said:

That is why I wrote "Op wanna fly",  entering Thailand via border posts is crossing land borders

OP gotta fly, land borders closed. 😉

11 minutes ago, Faz said:

OP gotta fly, land borders closed. 😉

yes, and this is for land border crossings. 🤨 So totally irrelevant!

Foreigners under the Visa Exemption List who are entering Thailand via border posts at Cambodia, Laos, Myanmar, and Malaysia ..."

Following logic, nothing more of a comment was needed, as "OPwanna fly"

But Malaysia Land borders are open, so at time it could be of interest for people in the south and wanna visa run/come in from Malaysia.

On 4/12/2022 at 10:00 AM, Chaimai said:

very bold know it all statement,

there is one recent report of a Uk passport holder having to 'buy' a visa exempt entry

24 minutes ago, cockneyboy said:

very bold know it all statement,

there is one recent report of a Uk passport holder having to 'buy' a visa exempt entry

....when flying from Phnom Penh?

12 hours ago, Chaimai said:

What is your point.

Entry via land borders has been limit of 2 per calendar year for some time.

Borders are currently closed.

I won't even reply to the post from another chap that Malaysia land border is open. Nup. 

Malaysia-Thai land border IS open. Travellers must be fully vaccinated. Malaysia considers full vaccination to include a booster. However, entering Thailand requires the infamous Thailand Pass. Entry into Malaysia much easier. Even quarantine has been scrapped. 

Edited by M.O.
Correction
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Chaimai said:

....when flying from Phnom Penh?

The account the poster was relating was from entry visa exempt from UK after having been here in Thailand for previous year + on various visa and covid extensions.

To me his story was sus with regards to bribe got him in. Regardless there currently not many reports of entry visa exempt via air with previous long stay in Thailand. Most folk going to eg Phnom Penh are obtaining a visa and reenter no problem.

3 minutes ago, M.O. said:

Malaysia-Thai land border IS open.

Which crossing. 

I'm unaware of land border allowing entry from Malaysia. 

On 4/11/2022 at 7:31 PM, Homie said:

I'm afraid that applying for a visa at the Thai embassy in Phnom Pen may complicate things so I'm thing about just getting a thirty day stamp when I fly back

In the past many folk used agent to assist with tourist visa application in Phnom Penh. There are current reports of obtaining tv without agent and has been a straightforward process. It can take few days.

As I have earlier suggested in your thread....I think obtaining a TV is best option rather than return visa exempt after couple of days. Too risky. 

Edited by jackbendigo
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, M.O. said:

Sadao-Danok

Note that non Malaysians will need insurance (as for Thailand entry).

Can you direct us to report of entry from Malaysia at land border. Or link. Where do they do first night hotel for TP. 

Edited by jackbendigo