News Forum - Plans to scrap pre-departure Covid-19 test requirement still needs confirmation

Thaiger

7 minutes ago, Faz said:

No need to take a pre flight PCR test from April 1st to enter Thailand Marc.

Yes I am aware of thanks,  Faz

But I have RT-Lamp tests at home

So will take one the day before my flight for my own assurance 

I've taken tests while traveling and it can be a bit stressful so would like to be somewhat aware of my status before I take the test in Thailand 

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Marc26 said:

So will take one the day before my flight for my own assurance 

Common sense to do so and practical good advice for others too.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Faz said:

No need to take a pre flight PCR test from April 1st to enter Thailand Marc.

For as long as a test on arrival is required in Thailand, I’m going to have a preflight test. I may even get it done just 24 hours before departure and cancel my trip if I’m positive. I would rather sit at home with mild symptoms than be tested positive on arrival and spend 10 days in a Thai hospital or 30sqm hotel room. 

• Like 4

19 minutes ago, Soidog said:

For as long as a test on arrival is required in Thailand, I’m going to have a preflight test. I may even get it done just 24 hours before departure and cancel my trip if I’m positive. I would rather sit at home with mild symptoms than be tested positive on arrival and spend 10 days in a Thai hospital or 30sqm hotel room

Totally makes sense.  I did the same thing prior to being tested at a hospital here in Pattaya prior to cataract surgery.  I preferred to test myself and if I tested positive cancel the surgery and reschedule and wait out the time at home versus being quarantined in as you say a 30 sqm solitary confinenment room. 

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Paulw said:

Why is there a slim chance of catching covid in an aeroplane???? I would say quite the opposite. 

Because the air in the modern airplanes is intensely filtered and cleaned, about every 2-3 minutes (typically they are equipped with high efficiency particulate air (HEPA) filters).

https://www.boeing.com/confident-travel/cabin-air.html#:~:text=Boeing airplanes use high efficiency,the length of the cabin.

Boeing and Airbus are using similar technologies in this regard.

For a multi-hour flight the residual infection risk stems only from the passengers sitting right next to you.

7 hours ago, Guest1 said:

So holiday in GB, then. Problem solved

Well, you did ask: Quote:

"One question: In case you would get tested positive in your country, you wouldn't have to self quarantine?"

So you got the answer to the exact question you asked. Sorry it wasn't good enough for you :-p

15 minutes ago, Dodgey said:

Well, you did ask: Quote:

"One question: In case you would get tested positive in your country, you wouldn't have to self quarantine?"

So you got the answer to the exact question you asked. Sorry it wasn't good enough for you :-p

No, no, that was good enough.

It named a holiday destination where the law suits your needs. Don't know about the weather and such, but the force, eh, law will be with you.

3 hours ago, longwood50 said:

Totally makes sense.  I did the same thing prior to being tested at a hospital here in Pattaya prior to cataract surgery.  I preferred to test myself and if I tested positive cancel the surgery and reschedule and wait out the time at home versus being quarantined in as you say a 30 sqm solitary confinenment room. 

The predeparture test should not be mandated by Thailand. The airline could require it (smart) or by the traveler.  However the arrival test should be supervised by the incoming country. Thailand has a tight system that prevents cheating. It works pretty well but can be inconvenient if someone has plans. Why scrap what's working unless you can substitute something better?

1 hour ago, LoongFred said:

The predeparture test should not be mandated by Thailand. The airline could require it (smart) or by the traveler.  However the arrival test should be supervised by the incoming country. Thailand has a tight system that prevents cheating. It works pretty well but can be inconvenient if someone has plans. Why scrap what's working unless you can substitute something better?

And of course your idea is  completely different of what others see as logic. You must be a fan of Thailogic.
Pre flight PCR-tests and controls in Europe were seen by me as more stringent than my experience inThailand.
All papers controlled at check in, and those papers must be official and from recognised labs.
Domestic and International flights in Thailand, they just asked if I was vaccinated, but never had to show papers.
And I feel (and probably a lot of people with me) it gives me comfort to know that everybody on the plane is vaccinated and tested negative.

13 minutes ago, Alavan said:

And I feel (and probably a lot of people with me) it gives me comfort to know that everybody on the plane is vaccinated and tested negative.

Everyone may be tested, but no guarantee they are all vaccinated.
Unvaccinated may still travel and enter Thailand.

I'm surprised airlines are not demanding pre flight PCR tests - given there are what 15-20 cabin crew on your average holiday jet, if they get infected they are stuck in the host country for however many days and the logistics for them and especially pilots being out of position/unable to fly the next 400 holiday makers back must be horrendous.

No comfort for them the state of the art AC systems meaning you'll only likely to catch it from the person next to you (allegedly), given throughout the flight they will be walking past or leaning over everybody! 

I think they should be kept for pre flight until Covid is a thing of the past personally.

3 hours ago, Benroon said:

I'm surprised airlines are not demanding pre flight PCR tests - given there are what 15-20 cabin crew on your average holiday jet, if they get infected they are stuck in the host country for however many days and the logistics for them and especially pilots being out of position/unable to fly the next 400 holiday makers back must be horrendous.

No comfort for them the state of the art AC systems meaning you'll only likely to catch it from the person next to you (allegedly), given throughout the flight they will be walking past or leaning over everybody! 

I think they should be kept for pre flight until Covid is a thing of the past personally.

The airlines are thinking more about business than anything else..........

As usual it's as clear as mud then!

First, the main changes announced at yesterday’s CCSA meeting…
https://thethaiger.com/coronavirus/unpacking-the-long-and-winding-road-to-endemic-in-thailand-latest-changes-to-covid-restrictions

• From April 1, the pre-arrival PCR test will be scrapped. But you’ll still need to participate in a pre-paid PCR test on arrival and a pre-paid night of accommodation in a registered SHA+ hotel. On Day 5 you’ll still need to do a self-administered ATK test (which is meant to be uploaded into the Mor Chana App).

• For the Sandbox program, from April 1, where you had in the past been required to stay in a designated district (eg. Phuket) for 7 days, will now be reduced to a 5 day stay in the area before you can then travel freely around Thailand.

• For full quarantine, from April 1, if you are unvaccinated, you will now only need to do a maximum of 5 days, down from the current 7 days.

• From May 1, you will only be required to take a supervised ATK on arrival (wither at the airport or designated venue), so no PCR test or compulsory SHA+ hotel stay for the first night.

• No change to the ‘Covid insurance’ situation. Travellers entering Thailand, with the exception of Thai citizens and returning expats who already have health insurance coverage in Thailand, will need health insurance covering US$20,000.

But, but, wait ..................................................!

NONE of these initiatives have been rubber-stamped and posted in the Royal Gazette, but that is considered a formality and you can expect yesterday’s announcements to become reality from April 1.

But just to throw a bit of confusion into the mix yesterday, the Ministry of Foreign Affairs spokesperson Natapanu Nopakun, said that the changes to the pre-arrival PCR test were being ‘considered’.

“It is being considered that the RT-PCR test prior to arrival will not be required anymore. That is being considered, according to the discussions in the general meeting today. When there’s a confirmation… when there’s an actual release on that, we’ll let you know as soon as possible.”

This differed from the Thai-langauge spokesperson who said that the CCSA had confirmed the change. But just about all media are announcing the pre-arrival changes as a ‘done deal’.

Thank goodness for that then. For a moment there I thought they'd changed their flippy floppy requirements and actually made a definite decision. We can now all proceed with our plans in the usual state of utter confusion and controversy. 🥴

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Faz said:

As usual it's as clear as mud then!

First, the main changes announced at yesterday’s CCSA meeting…
https://thethaiger.com/coronavirus/unpacking-the-long-and-winding-road-to-endemic-in-thailand-latest-changes-to-covid-restrictions

• From April 1, the pre-arrival PCR test will be scrapped. But you’ll still need to participate in a pre-paid PCR test on arrival and a pre-paid night of accommodation in a registered SHA+ hotel. On Day 5 you’ll still need to do a self-administered ATK test (which is meant to be uploaded into the Mor Chana App).

• For the Sandbox program, from April 1, where you had in the past been required to stay in a designated district (eg. Phuket) for 7 days, will now be reduced to a 5 day stay in the area before you can then travel freely around Thailand.

• For full quarantine, from April 1, if you are unvaccinated, you will now only need to do a maximum of 5 days, down from the current 7 days.

• From May 1, you will only be required to take a supervised ATK on arrival (wither at the airport or designated venue), so no PCR test or compulsory SHA+ hotel stay for the first night.

• No change to the ‘Covid insurance’ situation. Travellers entering Thailand, with the exception of Thai citizens and returning expats who already have health insurance coverage in Thailand, will need health insurance covering US$20,000.

But, but, wait ..................................................!

NONE of these initiatives have been rubber-stamped and posted in the Royal Gazette, but that is considered a formality and you can expect yesterday’s announcements to become reality from April 1.

But just to throw a bit of confusion into the mix yesterday, the Ministry of Foreign Affairs spokesperson Natapanu Nopakun, said that the changes to the pre-arrival PCR test were being ‘considered’.

“It is being considered that the RT-PCR test prior to arrival will not be required anymore. That is being considered, according to the discussions in the general meeting today. When there’s a confirmation… when there’s an actual release on that, we’ll let you know as soon as possible.”

This differed from the Thai-langauge spokesperson who said that the CCSA had confirmed the change. But just about all media are announcing the pre-arrival changes as a ‘done deal’.

Thank goodness for that then. For a moment there I thought they'd changed their flippy floppy requirements and actually made a definite decision. We can now all proceed with our plans in the usual state of utter confusion and controversy. 🥴

I wonder if I will be subject to the day 5 test

I land on April 28th

But, by reports, it's seems they are a bit lax on the day 5 test as it is

So I'm not going to worry about it all that much 

9 minutes ago, Marc26 said:

I wonder if I will be subject to the day 5 test

I land on April 28th

Pre booked and paid for 1 night SHA+ hotel, PCR test on arrival and day 5 ATK test, result of which should be uploaded to the Mor Chana App - if it works🙄

That's as it currently stands on the flip side, but wait for flop.

7 hours ago, Faz said:

Pre booked and paid for 1 night SHA+ hotel, PCR test on arrival and day 5 ATK test, result of which should be uploaded to the Mor Chana App - if it works🙄

That's as it currently stands on the flip side, but wait for flop.

Yeah but it seems I will fall in the middle, land when PCR test is still required, be there on the 5th day when ATK is not

So will be interesting if I am made to take the ATK

Which I think goes under the radar as a big pain in the ass............makes you have to be much more cautious on what you do

I love massages, sometimes get 2/day.............but if i have to take an ATK, will hold off the 1st 4-5 days

39 minutes ago, Marc26 said:

Yeah but it seems I will fall in the middle, land when PCR test is still required, be there on the 5th day when ATK is not

There is only a change to the pre departure PCR test being required.
You'll still be subject to the rules based on the day of arrival, which will be a PCR test day 1 and ATK day 5.

Unless there is a further change between now and April 28th.

• Like 1

On 3/18/2022 at 8:49 AM, Guest1 said:

Oh, right. You are on holiday, you dont wanna know, if you have, get or spread, right?

One question: In case you would get tested positive in your country, you wouldn't have to self quarantine?

No, in Holland fully vaccinated people who test positive do not have to self quarantine anymore if they do not have symptoms.

But if you test positive without symptoms upon arrival in Thailand you will be incarcerated, at your own cost. Insurance does not cover the 'positive without symptoms' part.

3 minutes ago, Janneman said:

But if you test positive without symptoms upon arrival in Thailand you will be incarcerated, at your own cost. Insurance does not cover the 'positive without symptoms' part.

Yes, and the "fun part " is: All are knowing about before they even applying for the Thailand Pass.

Also there are still some facts, which people from western countries ignore:

The health system is NOT like in Holland, Germany, France, most western countries. 

I did chose Phuket, because of several private hospitals! To balance that a bit.

Also: Even that 60 Mill got there first jab, 50 Mill their second, only 20+ mill got a booster. Many of these got already the second booster.

And the first jab, like the second, was the majority sinovac. Sometimes "boostered" with Astrazeneca, if lucky the next booster was Pfizer.

Right now, this country needs to see first, how that goes, if omicron 1 and 2  aren't breaching this vaccine walls.

Not to protect the tourists, but to try to protect the health system in the not so touristic areas, plus the people in areas away from the vaccination (tourists and Bangkok) hotspots. 

Sonkran will become a game changer, methinks.

The one or the other way. If the numbers of critical cases aren't rising, I see the $ signs coming back , in the eyes of the power that be. They all wanna get rid of restrictions. 

On 3/20/2022 at 9:22 PM, Marc26 said:

How is calling you out of a fake analogy aggressive?

You parroted a right wing Facebook/meme talking point and I called you out on it

Sorry if that hurts your feelings

Comparing a global pandemic that you can contract in a matter of minutes exposure to a fairly regionally isolated disease that's  much harder to contract(yes around 70% of TB cases are in 2 regions of the world and has been for decades) is just not sensible, no matter where you saw the talking point.

As I said to Longwood, I agree with him and you about getting on with life with covid

I certain have and probably have traveled more than most people 

I just don't make specious arguments and comparisons to do so.....

Ok. Life is beautiful.

1 hour ago, Faz said:

There is only a change to the pre departure PCR test being required.
You'll still be subject to the rules based on the day of arrival, which will be a PCR test day 1 and ATK day 5.

Unless there is a further change between now and April 28th.

Apparently the rumor(what you posted above) is that they will only require a ATK test on arrival starting May 1st

Of course, not confirmed

I just searched and can change my flight to May 1st for 200cad, may do so...........don't mind pushing my trip back a few days just in case

53 minutes ago, Marc26 said:

Apparently the rumor(what you posted above) is that they will only require a ATK test on arrival starting May 1st

Of course, not confirmed

Therein lies the problem Marc.
Thailand has a habit of 'confirming' changes at the 11th hour with no forethought to those planning there travel arrangements in advance.

When you apply for the TP, you have to meet the requirements in force at the time to obtain it.
You can only travel and enter Thailand on the date given on the TP.

11 minutes ago, Faz said:

Therein lies the problem Marc.
Thailand has a habit of 'confirming' changes at the 11th hour with no forethought to those planning there travel arrangements in advance.

When you apply for the TP, you have to meet the requirements in force at the time to obtain it.
You can only travel and enter Thailand on the date given on the TP.

Yeah, I have about 2 weeks to comfortably hold off doing my TP(would give me 27 days time before flight)

But honestly, I am not too fussed to do the full T&G if need be

2 minutes ago, Marc26 said:

Yeah, I have about 2 weeks to comfortably hold off doing my TP(would give me 27 days time before flight)

But honestly, I am not too fussed to do the full T&G if need be

Supposing they did drop the PCR test on arrival, replaced with just a ATK test from May 1st.
You'd have to hold of applying until May 1st to enter under the new conditions, so you'd be looking at May 10th for entry. Just pick a date to travel and go with the requirements in force at that time.