News Forum - CCSA meets tomorrow to decide fate of pre-departure PCR test

Thaiger

Here's the stats for incoming tourists who are positive for COVID-19 on Day 1 T&G, SandBox & AQ, most of you don't give a damn, coming from CCSA, from March 1-13, out of 110,276 foreign arrivals only 931 test positive, that's the rate of .84%

5 hours ago, ace035 said:

Here's the stats for incoming tourists who are positive for COVID-19 on Day 1 T&G, SandBox & AQ, most of you don't give a damn, coming from CCSA, from March 1-13, out of 110,276 foreign arrivals only 931 test positive, that's the rate of .84%

Well if the lunatics drop the preflight PCR but retain the arrival test, we should see that number double or quadruple. 

Good day friends in Thailand. Well it was yesterday that I leaned that i was required to have a pre departure PCR test enroute to Thailand. So I booked the test within the 72 hour window, held my nose and paid. It cost me $220 canadian. Now what this all means is even after I get this test, I STILL go for the mandatory PCR test and delightful night of quarantine, (Even after i get tested and would be negative). So it makes absolutely  no sense at all to be a three shot vaccine veteran, plus enduring covid at Christmas time, just to get tested more and more. No problem; but no one can convince me the pre departure test is necessary, because i get one upon arrival. Well, I've been trying to get to Thailand for over a year now, and by Gods grace, i will make it. But not before rooms and test required will cost me close to 1k$. So for the person who didn't think this was to make a buck, please!!!

Oh one other little nugget. After paying test and go for day 1 and day five, before they cancelled day five PCR testing to lift tourism, I was told no refund. So hahah, some ones making a bundle. Money gone bye bye. hahahah

ken

3 hours ago, Soidog said:

Well if the lunatics drop the preflight PCR but retain the arrival test, we should see that number double or quadruple. 

Needs to be in less than 3% of foreign arrivals cases until mid April to move to Stage 2.

I just hope that someone in this meeting has a lightbulb moment and realises the absurdity of this proposal.

Personally I would prefer the current testing regime compared to this proposal because at least I would have the confidence that everyone on the plane with me has provided a negative test.

This will just increase the stress levels of those of us who have already booked flights to Thailand and cause others to forget about travelling until someone in the Thai government realises that this was the most ridiculous idea in the history of ridiculous ideas.

How is it possible for someone in a position of power to actually think this will do anything but cause more harm to an already crippled tourism industry. 

I have been waiting to come to Thailand for two and a half years to see my girlfriend and have already booked my flights so I am committed.

If I hadn't already booked I would wait until these fools actually come up with a scheme that is not weighed so heavily against the people who want to visit this wonderful country.    

• Like 2

2 hours ago, ace035 said:

Needs to be in less than 3% of foreign arrivals cases until mid April to move to Stage 2.

Yes I saw that and that’s the lack of logic. How many people screen themselves prior to departure with the preflight PCR. which they are about to cancel?  All those people, or the vast majority at least, will now test positive on arrival.

1 hour ago, Mazz11 said:

If I hadn't already booked I would wait until these fools actually come up with a scheme that is not weighed so heavily against the people who want to visit this wonderful country. 

It really is the only words to describe the fools. I know many governments around the world could be criticised for not locking down early. Or not enforcing face masks. Or easing restrictions too soon etc. However, at least these are judgement calls and you can follow some logic even if you disagree. This leaked suggestion of removing preflight and yet keeping test on arrival literally beggars belief. It’s actually beyond foolish. It is totally idiotic and shows no one in government has any clue about the workings of this pandemic. It would be fantastic to be in the meeting and have them try to walk you through the logic. Can you imagine the conversation?

DC2E7CCC-1CF7-4BB6-993A-3ED0282ECEAE.gif

If I were flying I'd be reassured if everyone had a pre test. It would help assure that the air travel would be safer. However, I would leave it up the airlines to regulate.

The arrival test shows is for the public health of Thai citizens and should stay. Using rapid testing at the airport would be a disaster in my view. It would be time consuming to test the entire group, having appropriate testing and collection staff on call at the airport would also be difficult. I think arrival testing as currently used should stay.

When appropriate prophylaxis medicines are available, this could be a game changer though. All arriving tourists could be given their doses and could safely be on their way.

Maybe offer tourists a choice of testing or prophylaxis. 

Until that happens I would not be in favor stopping of arrival testing.

13 hours ago, Marc26 said:

Again, just absurd comparisons, for the most part, that you can't honestly be serious about them

Both Hep B and HIV are are contracted when blood, semen or body fluids enter the body, not through droplets in the air

They may be harder to contract but you again miss the point.  You have the world doing handstands over Covid a disease that if contracted 95% won't even require hospitalization but totally ignoring the fact that other diseases are far far far more deadly.  

The fact that HIV is harder to contract than Covid I don't think will be of any great solice to the family of the person here in Thailand that contracts it.  

The point is that they are hitting the fly with a sledgehammer.  The idea that Covid is the worst disease that requires special precautions versus other diseases that foreigners may carry is just lunacy. 

I am not suggesting that people who are entering Thailand be tested or even innoculated for other diseases.  Although here is a list of the required vaccinations to "immigrate" to the USA.  Even this is ridiculous given that they are only mandating it for people who are immigrating not for those either visiting the USA or entering illegally.  As if the disease can only be spread from those entering the country legally

What vaccines are required for U.S. immigration?

At this time,* vaccines for these diseases are currently required for U.S. immigration:

• Mumps
  • Measles
  • Rubella
  • Polio
  • Tetanus and diphtheria
  • Pertussis
  • Haemophilus influenzae type B (Hib)
  • Hepatitis A
  • Hepatitis B
  • Rotavirus
  • Meningococcal disease
  • Varicella
  • Pneumococcal disease
  • Seasonal influenza

7 hours ago, longwood50 said:

They may be harder to contract but you again miss the point.  You have the world doing handstands over Covid a disease that if contracted 95% won't even require hospitalization but totally ignoring the fact that other diseases are far far far more deadly.  

The fact that HIV is harder to contract than Covid I don't think will be of any great solice to the family of the person here in Thailand that contracts it.  

The point is that they are hitting the fly with a sledgehammer.  The idea that Covid is the worst disease that requires special precautions versus other diseases that foreigners may carry is just lunacy. 

I am not suggesting that people who are entering Thailand be tested or even innoculated for other diseases.  Although here is a list of the required vaccinations to "immigrate" to the USA.  Even this is ridiculous given that they are only mandating it for people who are immigrating not for those either visiting the USA or entering illegally.  As if the disease can only be spread from those entering the country legally

What vaccines are required for U.S. immigration?

At this time,* vaccines for these diseases are currently required for U.S. immigration:

• Mumps
  • Measles
  • Rubella
  • Polio
  • Tetanus and diphtheria
  • Pertussis
  • Haemophilus influenzae type B (Hib)
  • Hepatitis A
  • Hepatitis B
  • Rotavirus
  • Meningococcal disease
  • Varicella
  • Pneumococcal disease
  • Seasonal influenza

1st off, we actually agree, for the most part

I have probably flown 15x in the last 16 months, more than most...........

I don't disregard covid but am comfortable with the risks, moreso since Omicron

And am happy to see restrictions being lifted all around the world, unless a more serious strain emerges

But I am still going to call most(all) of those comparisons ridiculous, you can live with a person your whole life with HIV and have a miniscule chance to contract it

Covid is still much, much more easier to contract, to the nth degree, than anything you posted

15 hours ago, Marc26 said:

Covid is still much, much more easier to contract, to the nth degree, than anything you posted

Yes it is, 

However is that the litmus test for which diseases a country should be worried about versus how serious the health consequences from contracting a disease are.  

TB is spread in virtually the same way and is far more serious. 

I just find the myopic focus on Covid to be nonsensicle.  If health is the issue, why focus only on Covid Why not force the person to undergo a physical examination and obtain a doctors health certificate before flying.  Why test only for Covid.  It is as if Covid is the equivalent of inhaling cyanide with death being imminent. 

The reality is that tourism to Thailand has been all but slowed to a trickle for months yet Covid rates here are higher than they have ever been.  So this notion that somehow strict requirements for entrants to the country will mitigate the problem is nonsensicle.  The double vaccinated tourist has far more to fear of contracting Covid from a Thai than the other way around.

Now Thailand seems intent on permanently crippling its tourist industry.  If the government some day wakes up and understands that Covid is now just part of the daily life we have to live with and opens up the country, it may very well find that their is not much of a tourist infrastructure left.  I am amazed that the hotels, bars, restaurants, tourist attractions etc have hung on this long.  Even if the tourists start coming tomorrow will many of them have the resources to reopen their business. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, longwood50 said:

Yes it is, 

However is that the litmus test for which diseases a country should be worried about versus how serious the health consequences from contracting a disease are.  

TB is spread in virtually the same way and is far more serious. 

I just find the myopic focus on Covid to be nonsensicle.  If health is the issue, why focus only on Covid Why not force the person to undergo a physical examination and obtain a doctors health certificate before flying.  Why test only for Covid.  It is as if Covid is the equivalent of inhaling cyanide with death being imminent. 

The reality is that tourism to Thailand has been all but slowed to a trickle for months yet Covid rates here are higher than they have ever been.  So this notion that somehow strict requirements for entrants to the country will mitigate the problem is nonsensicle.  The double vaccinated tourist has far more to fear of contracting Covid from a Thai than the other way around.

Now Thailand seems intent on permanently crippling its tourist industry.  If the government some day wakes up and understands that Covid is now just part of the daily life we have to live with and opens up the country, it may very well find that their is not much of a tourist infrastructure left.  I am amazed that the hotels, bars, restaurants, tourist attractions etc have hung on this long.  Even if the tourists start coming tomorrow will many of them have the resources to reopen their business. 

TB is still so very much more hard to contarct

But you are correct that it can be a lot worse

I believe you can't immigrate to some countries if you have TB

17 hours ago, Marc26 said:

I believe you can't immigrate to some countries if you have TB

As mentioned Thailand has thousands of cases of TB.  If you don't test incoming entrants to Thailand for TB, Hepatitus, HIV, and a host of other diseases, how do you know they are not bringing it? 

Mind you, I am not suggesting you should.  I am merely pointing out that for whatever reason this Covid mania has countries around the world acting as if contracting it is equivalent to a venom of a Komodo dragon and will bring certain death.  

Why the singular focus on only Covid?  Is it ok to allow someone in with the plague, rabies, TB or a host of other diseases so long as we safeguard the people of Thailand from contracting Covid? 

The reality is that Covid is spreading from local populations not from tourists.  If as much effort was brought to immunize the local population as there is to keep foreigners from entering I suggest the gains against the spread of Covid would be more significant. 

• Like 1