Philip K Dick: the writer who witnessed the future

Faraday

"Forty years since the death of the sci-fi author – whose stories have inspired films like Blade Runner and Minority Report – Adam Scovell explores how prophetic his work has been."

p0brtg80.webp.9c841251e3cf815f001f3a5997539534.webp

"In a remarkably prolific 30-year period of work, Dick authored 44 novels and countless short stories, adaptations of which went on to redefine science fiction on screen – in particular Ridley Scott's Blade Runner (1982), which was based on Dick's story Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? and Paul Verhoeven's Total Recall (1990), which took his 1966 short story We Can Remember It for You Wholesale as its source material. More recently Dick's novel The Man in the High Castle (1962) has been turned into a hit Amazon series."

https://www.bbc.com/culture/article/20220301-philip-k-dick-the-writer-who-witnessed-the-future

• Like 4

On 3/2/2022 at 4:03 PM, Faraday said:

"Forty years since the death of the sci-fi author – whose stories have inspired films like Blade Runner and Minority Report – Adam Scovell explores how prophetic his work has been."

p0brtg80.webp.9c841251e3cf815f001f3a5997539534.webp

"In a remarkably prolific 30-year period of work, Dick authored 44 novels and countless short stories, adaptations of which went on to redefine science fiction on screen – in particular Ridley Scott's Blade Runner (1982), which was based on Dick's story Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? and Paul Verhoeven's Total Recall (1990), which took his 1966 short story We Can Remember It for You Wholesale as its source material. More recently Dick's novel The Man in the High Castle (1962) has been turned into a hit Amazon series."

https://www.bbc.com/culture/article/20220301-philip-k-dick-the-writer-who-witnessed-the-future

Blade Runner, Total Recall, Minority Report & especially High Castle were book & film works of genius.

Dick Asimov Clarke were the three grandmasters of sci- fi.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, oldschooler said:

Blade Runner, Total Recall, Minority Report & especially High Castle were book & film works of genius.

Dick Asimov Clarke were the three grandmasters of sci- fi.

Amazing talent, fantastic imaginations too.

I remember reading I Robot when I was about 14. My imagination was set alight at the thought of them.

Here's a quote from the book, which is fitting for most of us on here:

"Fifty years," I hackneyed, "is a long time."

"Not when you're looking back at them," she said. "You wonder how they vanished so quickly.

Isaac Asimov, I, Robot (Robot, #0.1)

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Faraday said:

"Fifty years," I hackneyed, "is a long time"

I cannot remember hackneying, if I ever hackneyed I certainly cannot remember it.

8 hours ago, Faraday said:

Amazing talent, fantastic imaginations too.

I remember reading I Robot when I was about 14. My imagination was set alight at the thought of them.

"Fifty years," I hackneyed, "is a long time."

"Not when you're looking back at them," she said. "You wonder how they vanished so quickly.

Isaac Asimov, I, Robot (Robot, #0.1)

Of course not even the genius of HG Wells who predicted WW2 time & aerial  warfare or Dick Clarke Asimov or anyone 40 to 130 years ago ever came closer to predicting even 5% real future. 1000 key variables & unknowns ……

future seems to become clearer the more developed humans be come with history - ending scientific events like AI, Cyborgs, Nanites, Quantum Physics/ Computers, WMD, Space Exploration. Unimaginable Wonders await Discovery or Clarity in Space when the Webb Telescope starts operating this year……