Oh no! Not the Y-word.

JohninDublin

21 hours ago, JohninDublin said:

Just so that people know what I'm talking about here is a link: https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11675/12538082/tottenham-on-fans-use-of-y-word-its-time-to-move-on

To give it a bit more depth, this is about the use of the word "Yid", a word frequently, but not always used pejoratively referring to Jews. Recently, the media have given it "N word" status in that you can only refer to it by it's initial. My view on that status is that we are becoming far too precious with political correctness, and that is not to say that I am in favour of the word. 

Watching TV today, I get so annoyed when I hear a bleep over the word in so many older pictures. There are a couple of reasons for this. The first time I ever heard the bleep, was watching "The Dambusters" for about the 15th time on TV. Guy Gibson who led the raid on the dams, had a black Labrador named "N". It was agreed, that if the raid was successful, they would send the dog's name back in morse. So there is a scene in the film when everyone is at the airbase waiting to hear if the raid has been successful. Suddenly there is a burst of morse, and the radio man says something like, "It's Bleep sir", then getting quite emotional he says, "It is Bleep sir" twice and a cheer goes up to celebrate the success of the raid.

Couple of things about that particular clip. First is that it was of it's time. I don't condone the use of the word, but it was from a time when use of that word was not frowned upon. The second is that Gibson went onto get a VIctoria Cross, the highest award for bravery in the then British Empire. If Gibson was a racist, should we not know about it.

To make a comparison, say if there was an old Thai movie which had a White dog in the movie and the dog was called *dirty felang* and when the movie was aired , Thais who saw a White dog in the street would call that dog "dirty felang" and kids would shout "dirty felang " every time they saw a White dog .

Would you be comfortable with that ?

1 hour ago, Fluke said:

I recently got told that I couldn't rent a Condo , reason being that don't want people of my race/colour staying there .

There was an empty condo available and I was blatantly told they don't want my kind of people because I am the wrong ethnicity . 

How many minorities in the U.K have experienced that kind of discrimination ?

I don't know your ethnicity 

Sorry that happened to you

Can't believe they were so blatant about it

But countless minorities have definitely experienced that, either directly or indirectly 

16 hours ago, Marc26 said:

It was used by ions for white people

So why can't we keep using it!

It's not fair!

We are paying them money, so we can all them whatever we want!

exactly that's what i said to my sister🤣

• Haha 1