News Forum - Phuket to 8 foreign reps: your citizens must obey Covid-19 rules

Thaiger

When children in class misbehave, teachers contact the parents and tell them to keep their kids in line. But what do you do when foreign tourists are misbehaving in your country? Phuket Governor Narong Woonciew met today with Consul Generals and Honorary Consuls from 8 countries to ask them to warn their citizens to follow the rules – especially Covid-19 regulations – while visiting the island and all of Thailand. The Consul General of Australia and the Russian Federation in Phuket were joined by the Honorary Consul General of Mexico and Nepal, and the Honorary Consul of Austria, the Netherlands, […]

The story Phuket to 8 foreign reps: your citizens must obey Covid-19 rules as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

A total waste of time.

As long as the police and courts let tourists get away with breaking Covid restrictions they'll continue to do so, and the only contact these 'consuls' will have with their citizens anyway is after the event, not before.

It's not helping anyone except adding fuel to the "dirty farang" fire.

• Like 10

555 ! Each individual should be  responsible  for their actions!

Everyone knows the rules and regulations and shouldn’t have to be told over and over again!

The crux is, the people who violate these ,don’t care!

Not much Thailand can do about it ! 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, riclag said:

555 ! Each individual should be  responsible  for their actions!

Everyone knows the rules and regulations and shouldn’t have to be told over and over again!

The crux is, the people who violate these ,don’t care!

Agreed absolutely.

18 minutes ago, riclag said:

Not much Thailand can do about it ! 

Well, they "can" do a fair amount, from jail time to expulsion and black-listing.

What they're willing to do, though, is very little despite how most farangs here and most Thais feel about it.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Bifrost said:

excedpt to teach their own citizens before-  they  rise a finger to others-..

Comparing the proportion of Thais breaking Covid restrictions with the number of foreigners clearly doing so, Thais don't need to be taught - and this is about Covid restrictions, nothing else.

• Haha 1

24 minutes ago, 1l1 said:

The Honorary Consul of NOWAY

image.png.8c7310296c37d670c82eacdf9a29e842.png

LOL..... 

THat's pretty funny.  But if you look closely, the reflection of the light is blocking the "r".

Still funny with the expression of the woman's face.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, riclag said:

I agree with your sentiment, however I am pretty sure that everyone does not know the rules. Is everything explained to you when arrive at the airport? It certainly wasn't for me the last time I arrived 8 months ago. I will bet that most tourists who come in are not aware of what happens to them if they pop positive on a test at anytime they are in country. Do you go to the hospital? A hospitel? A hotel room? For how long? etc. The point I am making is there are a myriad of rules, some seemingly made up on the fly, that the average tourist is not going to be aware of. 

Edited by Freeduhdumb
Grammar correction additional content.
  • Like 8

Not just Covid rule's Stonker they said the Rule's Especially Covid rules. Its a pity when Thai's break the rule's against Tourist's. What was Prayut asking for a few Month's back " please don't Rip Tourists off " it shows us in bad light. This headline also sends a message that its tourists spreading the Pandemic. In my opinion all the workers pulled in to keep Phuket going are bringing it with them.

I am not trying to point fingers on the expats and some unvaccinated farangs in the LOS, I've seen enough on the videos that almost all of them not wearing mask & not socially distancing when socializing in the bar, walking around and touching anybody. Well, because they are not going anywhere and fly outside of Thailand for almost forever. Unlike us as a regular tourists, we have to follow COVID-19 protocols especially when going back to where ever countries we are from, we have to be tested for COVID and if we are positive, we screwed and be at the AQ or hospital for 10 days. Also, where are BIB's? They are to enforce rules about fining farangs for not wearing mask which not seeing them around at all. This is getting out of control, one of the reason Thailand on another major outbreak for the 5th time.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, vlad said:

Not just Covid rule's Stonker they said the Rule's Especially Covid rules. Its a pity when Thai's break the rule's against Tourist's. What was Prayut asking for a few Month's back " please don't Rip Tourists off " it shows us in bad light. This headline also sends a message that its tourists spreading the Pandemic.

Read the original on which the usual Neill Fronde fantasy is based:

"Phuket Governor Narong Woonciew yesterday (Jan 7) met with the Consul Generals and Honoury Consuls of eight countries to remind them that their respective citizens must adhere to the COVID-19 health and safety protocols in effect on the island."

3 hours ago, vlad said:

In my opinion all the workers pulled in to keep Phuket going are bringing it with them.

So what's your opinion based on, since i) if you've looked at the provincial case figures for the last few months they show very clearly that the complete reverse is the case and ii) there are  checks on those going in to Phuket, although they may well not be 100% effective, but  there are no checks at all on those leaving Phuket?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Stonker said:

but  there are no checks at all on those leaving Phuket?

I think you will find there is checks leaving the island, I will be able to confirm that later today

If someone...anyone doesn't follow the rules, then I guess the result will be a Covid infection and the rest of your stay in an ASQ hotel at your own expense! And the potential for jail time and a hefty fine. I think all it would take is one conviction, widely publicised, and suddenly you would have compliance.

The Thai government might be concerned, if they did that, tourists would stop coming. In fact more would come because the rules are being enforced and a perception at least, that the environment is safer as a result. 

• Like 4

The main reasons for this occurring IMO are two-fold.  The first one is as pointed out by quite a few posters - they are not told when they are leaving and they are not told when they arrive - Thais just do not 'confront' people. Secondly - they have been 'sold' by TAT that Thailand is 'open again' and is 'quarantine free' - they have no idea that there are rules in place in Thailand about masks.  The fix is easy in the west - but it is not for Thailand - TAT have been lying to people to get them to come (that is their job).

The additional issue is of course that some people will know and they just dont give a rat's rear end about other people. The solution for that is easy too - as per Philippines - fine, jail, deport.

Easy - Fixed 😂

• Like 7

24 minutes ago, Lowseasonlover said:

I think you will find there is checks leaving the island, I will be able to confirm that later today

AFAIK the checks are only to see if tourists have completed their mandatory tests and time on the island in the 'Sandbox' - not if Thais have been vaccinated and been tested, as are required on arrival. 

That could be wrong as it may have changed, but I'll wait for your confirmation and when / if there's been any change.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, AussieBob said:

... they have no idea that there are rules in place in Thailand about masks ...

Oh perleeze ... read any article anywhere on Covid regulations in Thailand and it's crystal clear and always has been.

Edit: even if someone somehow didn't notice that, despite going through all the hoops, anyone failing to check anything that basic before going abroad shouldn't be allowed out on their own.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Stonker said:

Oh perleeze ... read any article anywhere on Covid regulations in Thailand and it's crystal clear and always has been.

Stonker - I was being sarcastic.  But the truth is that many tourists dont read Covid articles on the places they are going for a holiday.  Many places where they are coming from do not have the same covid restrictions in place.  Remember - they are stupid/desperate enough to travel across the world for a 2-3 week holiday in the middle of a pandemic mate. 

Sure - many also just ignore the rules. But what is being done to make tourists fully aware before they arrive and when they arrive?  Asking Consular officials to make their people aware is patently ridiculous. 

But it aint easy - I was being sarcastic when saying 'fixed' mate.   Can they give every tourist a handout in their language about the current restrictions in Thailand?  What about when it keeps changing.  What about the different and also ever changing restrictions in each Province, etc etc etc.  The Thailand Junta Govt has completely stuffed this up on so many levels.   

The damage the Junta Govt has done is just another addition to the negatives about Thailand tourism in the future. It is going to take many many years before they ever see 30 million a year again - unless of course as I have said before, China 'sends' a few millions for its 'mates' in the Thailand Govt.

• Like 2

Stonker, you should have been in CM over the NY holiday.  We had 1000's of southerners here, 95% Thai, 5% farang tourists or expats.  Each evening they partied hard and barely a mask to be seen.  I'd say Patong was much the same except proportions reversed.

So, who is to blame, who encouraged NY celebrations and opened venues for entertainment and alcohol?  It was only natural that people would party and not wear masks as prtyy hard to talk, or dance, let alone drink with one on.

A moot point anyway, IMO, let Omicron run its course and let the party continue ... wishful hindsight but remember who it was that opened the stable door ...

• Like 9

6 hours ago, Bifrost said:

excedpt to teach their own citizens before-  they  rise a finger to others-..

Theres a saying... monkey see - monkey do...It definitely applies in this case.  Thailand has long selectively enforced rules around the kingdom, so in general people look around them when they arrive to see what others do.  You walk the streets the same as me, I see plenty of Thais without masks or pulled down, mostly those stationary for one reason or another, I have no problem with this except when it comes to selectively calling out tourists while doing nothing to enforce the mask rules on the general population.

• Like 3

58 minutes ago, AussieBob said:

Stonker - I was being sarcastic.  But the truth is that many tourists dont read Covid articles on the places they are going for a holiday.  Many places where they are coming from do not have the same covid restrictions in place.  Remember - they are stupid/desperate enough to travel across the world for a 2-3 week holiday in the middle of a pandemic mate. 

Sure - many also just ignore the rules. But what is being done to make tourists fully aware before they arrive and when they arrive?  Asking Consular officials to make their people aware is patently ridiculous. 

But it aint easy - I was being sarcastic when saying 'fixed' mate.   Can they give every tourist a handout in their language about the current restrictions in Thailand?  What about when it keeps changing.  What about the different and also ever changing restrictions in each Province, etc etc etc.  The Thailand Junta Govt has completely stuffed this up on so many levels.   

The damage the Junta Govt has done is just another addition to the negatives about Thailand tourism in the future. It is going to take many many years before they ever see 30 million a year again - unless of course as I have said before, China 'sends' a few millions for its 'mates' in the Thailand Govt.

I would be confident to say almost every tourists knows exactly what the covid rules are for the country they are visiting.

People who don't want many rules would be searching for what rules there are and if they are being enforced

And people that want to be compliant would be checking regardless

So I'd sat almost 100% of tourists going somewhere know the rules 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Mongo said:

Theres a saying... monkey see - monkey do...It definitely applies in this case.  Thailand has long selectively enforced rules around the kingdom, so in general people look around them when they arrive to see what others do.  You walk the streets the same as me, I see plenty of Thais without masks or pulled down, mostly those stationary for one reason or another, I have no problem with this except when it comes to selectively calling out tourists while doing nothing to enforce the mask rules on the general population.

I don't know where you live in Thailand, but in the region I live all thai are wearing masks. The only place I have heard of no masks being worn is in bars. Seems drinking causes people to show ignorance and downright NO common sense.

• Like 2

We go every Friday evening  to boat avenue food festival and it truly P####s me off watching the amount of tourists blatantly disregarding the mask rule. The security woman trying to do her job by taking temperatures and trying to ensure a mask be worn just gets laughed at, it's not only disrespectful but bloody rude. A policeman did pop his head in for 5 minutes and we watched and laughed as the tourists did a rapid u-turn to leave at the other end. I don't want to wear a mask either but  I was raised to respect the laws of the land in every country we live or visit regardless of my point of view.

• Like 6

I met a British Honorary Consul General while on a the plane from KL to Phuket a few years ago.

He had no power as far as I could see, has he now to patrol the streets of Phuket and tell off every Brit for not wearing a mask etc, does he have to follow them first and ascertain which language they are speaking as he is only allowed to tell off British people?

You have to laugh really. 

• Like 2