News Forum - Phuket to 8 foreign reps: your citizens must obey Covid-19 rules

Thaiger

1 hour ago, Stonker said:

No, @AussieBob, that's not "fact", it's completely untrue.

Anyone who was here before Covid arrived, two years ago, and remained here was covered from the start for treatment for Covid in state hospitals.

That has never changed.

That was announced repeatedly and widely reported.

Please don't tell me I'm "very wrong" for something I've never said or suggested.

It's rather tedious.

What "standard insurance" 😂?

If people buy cheap insurance that doesn't meet the mandated requirements and they think that's "standard" so it's 'good enough' to pass immigration, that's their choice.

"Fact". 😂

I don't know what part of that wasn't clear the first time I wrote it.

You are wrong as usual mate.  I am sick of trying to talk to you when you write total rubbish and get upset. I lived in Thailand for years - I was NOT covered in any State system hospital for anything because as I said before I and most Expats are not working and not in the social security system. I personally know many Aussies still living in Thailand and they are NOT covered in Thai State hospitals for Covid treatment or anything else. They can get vaccines for free - but Covid treatment is not free.   If somehow I and all the Aussies I know still in Thailand are wrong, then please provide proof that an Expat on a retirement or marriage Visa who is not working can get free treatment in Thai state hospitals. 

On a more serious not mate - if you continue to got into long and insulting and tedious replies to anyone that disagrees with you on anything you say, you will be added to many people's blocked list. Actually, I would say that you already are.

Have you actually noticed how you always seem to get into big long arguments with people? A lot !  Most of us long timers just 'walk away' when you 'go off' about something.  You have a lot of posts and comments - almost twice as much as anyone else - do you stay on site all day every day? If you do, then I would advise you that is very 'unhealthy' and can lead to the 'Twisted Expat' syndrome and eventually to 'Expat Troll' disease.  The other problem is that because you are so 'active' you can write the wrong things and forget what you actually wrote before. Your English is sometimes wanting, and it is not against the law for someone to misunderstand you mate.  Try slowing down a little and go for content and not the numbers. Take this as a given - you have won - you have the most posts by far - winner winner chicken dinner mate.  Maybe also try another 'outlet' mate - try golf maybe - or darts - or books - or movies - or sports - something. 

• Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, AussieBob said:

If somehow I and all the Aussies I know still in Thailand are wrong, then please provide proof that an Expat on a retirement or marriage Visa who is not working can get free treatment in Thai state hospitals. 

48 minutes ago, AussieBob said:

I was NOT covered in any State system hospital for anything because as I said before I and most Expats are not working and not in the social security system.

I've never suggested you would have been.

As I said in the comment you quoted, and before, you're commenting on something I've never suggested in any way.

51 minutes ago, AussieBob said:

I personally know many Aussies still living in Thailand and they are NOT covered in Thai State hospitals for Covid treatment or anything else. They can get vaccines for free - but Covid treatment is not free.

I've obviously no idea what their circumstances are, so I can't comment.

54 minutes ago, AussieBob said:

If somehow I and all the Aussies I know still in Thailand are wrong, then please provide proof that an Expat on a retirement or marriage Visa who is not working can get free treatment in Thai state hospitals. 

Yet again, that isn't remotely what I said was the case.

If you managed to get the chip off your shoulder about Thailand and the mote out of  your eye maybe you'd be able to read what other people who have more recent experience here than you have said.

Maybe.

As for the rest ... I can't be bothered.

1 hour ago, AussieBob said:

You are wrong as usual mate.  I am sick of trying to talk to you when you write total rubbish and get upset. I lived in Thailand for years - I was NOT covered in any State system hospital for anything because as I said before I and most Expats are not working and not in the social security system. I personally know many Aussies still living in Thailand and they are NOT covered in Thai State hospitals for Covid treatment or anything else. They can get vaccines for free - but Covid treatment is not free.   If somehow I and all the Aussies I know still in Thailand are wrong, then please provide proof that an Expat on a retirement or marriage Visa who is not working can get free treatment in Thai state hospitals. 

On a more serious not mate - if you continue to got into long and insulting and tedious replies to anyone that disagrees with you on anything you say, you will be added to many people's blocked list. Actually, I would say that you already are.

Have you actually noticed how you always seem to get into big long arguments with people? A lot !  Most of us long timers just 'walk away' when you 'go off' about something.  You have a lot of posts and comments - almost twice as much as anyone else - do you stay on site all day every day? If you do, then I would advise you that is very 'unhealthy' and can lead to the 'Twisted Expat' syndrome and eventually to 'Expat Troll' disease.  The other problem is that because you are so 'active' you can write the wrong things and forget what you actually wrote before. Your English is sometimes wanting, and it is not against the law for someone to misunderstand you mate.  Try slowing down a little and go for content and not the numbers. Take this as a given - you have won - you have the most posts by far - winner winner chicken dinner mate.  Maybe also try another 'outlet' mate - try golf maybe - or darts - or books - or movies - or sports - something. 

As i Don't live there anymore I cant comment but i seem to remember that if you are married to a Thai who is a Government worker like a Nurse you are entitled to all the health benefits as your spouse Teachers etc you get nothing.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, vlad said:

MMM lets see foreign reps turning the tables and asking questions how we are treated in your Country.

1 Don't class us as Dirty Farangs that Don't wash.

2 Treat us fairly same as a Thai  citizen.

3 Stop assaulting us and protect us more.

4 Stop Double pricing because we are Foreigners.

5 Stop ripping us off and Scamming us.

6 Stop Threatening us if our Accommodation is not what we paid for.

Please feel free to add more Questions we would like to be answered to Thai Consular Officials.

7 Why are you in Thailand if is is so crap?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, vlad said:

As i Don't live there anymore I cant comment but i seem to remember that if you are married to a Thai who is a Government worker like a Nurse you are entitled to all the health benefits as your spouse Teachers etc you get nothing.

Only applies to Thai. And....also dependent on the government field/position.

4 minutes ago, Rain said:

He isn't. And let's be grateful for that - and others like him.

As soon as all these stupid rules are dropped i'll be on the first plane. I'll even buy you a Leo Rain.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, vlad said:

As soon as all these stupid rules are dropped i'll be on the first plane. I'll even buy you a Leo Rain.

OK. Can you make that Leo a couple shots of Ya Dong?? 😘

9 hours ago, Stonker said:

Exactly, absolutely, whatever else we may disagree on.

I don't know where this 'alternate' Thailand is, apart  from at 'party' time in big city bars.

Maybe they see twenty farang tourists without masks and twenty Thais and count that as 'the same', ignoring that there are rather a lot more Thais here than farangs.

I seldom see any farangs, apart from when I very occasionally go to the city, but of the few I do see maybe 25% aren't wearing a mask properly in public (and that's normally, not in bars). On the other hand I see plenty of Thais and in the last couple of years I've seen a lot less than one in maybe ten thousand not doing so.

There's simply no comparison.

Maybe I need to go party in the big city bars more ... 😂 ...

Who cares apart from yourself and what  for? Get yourself a life in Thailand not the thaiger forums. You obviously spent too much time on it. Relax mate, life is beautiful regardless… 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, AussieBob said:

You are wrong as usual mate.  I am sick of trying to talk to you when you write total rubbish and get upset. I lived in Thailand for years - I was NOT covered in any State system hospital for anything because as I said before I and most Expats are not working and not in the social security system. I personally know many Aussies still living in Thailand and they are NOT covered in Thai State hospitals for Covid treatment or anything else. They can get vaccines for free - but Covid treatment is not free. 

I have to agree with @Stonker on this issue Bob.
At the start of Covid in Thailand, the PM Prayut Can O Cha made a public announcement that all Thais and Foreigners 'staying' in Thailand would receive free treatment for Covid infection at government hospital facilities. The Government hospitals were informed to charge all costs to the Government.
His public announcement was then published in the Royal Thai Gazette making it law.

If your friends have been charged, they obviously didn't know their rights and should have complained. I personally know two foreigners that have been admitted into the local Government hospital and treated for Covid free of charge.

The Thai government also provided treatment free of charge to all COVID-19 patients, including non-Thai citizens, covering diagnostic testing and treatment expenses as a means to control the spread of the virus.
Page 8 - https://ddc.moph.go.th/viralpneumonia/eng/file/pub_doc/LDoc9.pdf

https://thaiembdc.org/2020/04/14/thai-government-mandates-free-care-for-covid-19-patients/

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Faz said:

At the start of Covid in Thailand, the PM Prayut Can O Cha made a public announcement that all Thais and Foreigners 'staying' in Thailand would receive free treatment for Covid infection at government hospital facilities. The Government hospitals were informed to charge all costs to the Government.
His public announcement was then published in the Royal Thai Gazette making it law.

If your friends have been charged, they obviously didn't know their rights and should have complained. I personally know two foreigners that have been admitted into the local Government hospital and treated for Covid free of charge.

The Thai government also provided treatment free of charge to all COVID-19 patients, including non-Thai citizens, covering diagnostic testing and treatment expenses as a means to control the spread of the virus.

https://thaiembdc.org/2020/04/14/thai-government-mandates-free-care-for-covid-19-patients/

Thank you - very frustrating when you're posting information that you not only know to be 100% correct but doing so in detail so it can potentially save people a considerable amount of money.

In another thread I recently posted details of the regs for hospitalisation / hotel SQ / self quarantine at home, if testing positive, complete with hotline telephone numbers to call, following  claims that there was no option but to quarantine in a private hospital at a cost of 175,000 to 300,000 baht when there are other options readily and easily available.

A potential saving of up to 300,000 baht!

While thanked by one or two, that was met with similar disbelief and derision by others which could cost some people dearly.

I was about to post the same link as you, @Faz, as well as others equally definitive, and I'll do so tomorrow when I'm on the PC.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Manu said:

Who cares apart from yourself and what  for? Get yourself a life in Thailand not the thaiger forums. You obviously spent too much time on it. Relax mate, life is beautiful regardless… 

Well, someone who wants to avoid being railroaded into forking out 300,000 baht unnecessarily for a stay in a private hospital might care 😂!

Just a thought 😇 ...

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Stonker said:

I've never suggested you would have been.

As I said in the comment you quoted, and before, you're commenting on something I've never suggested in any way.

I've obviously no idea what their circumstances are, so I can't comment.

Yet again, that isn't remotely what I said was the case.

If you managed to get the chip off your shoulder about Thailand and the mote out of  your eye maybe you'd be able to read what other people who have more recent experience here than you have said.

Maybe.

As for the rest ... I can't be bothered.

A mate of mine in Khon Kaen (lived in Thailand since 2014) tested positive at the local hospital and was told he would have to pay if he went into the State hospital ward, but because he has full medical insurance it was never going to be an issue.  A couple of others were presented with a bill for PCR tests, one argued and 'won', the other had to pay. The only free tests/support for all Expats I am aware of are those in those vaccination and testing 'stations'.

@Fazhas provided a few media statements by the Thai Central Govt that covid 'treatments' would be free for all people living in Thailand. Sorry Faz but media statements in Thailand aint worth the paper they are written on - same as TAT statements.  That started because of all the compliants they wanted Expats to pay, and yet Thais in other countries were getting free treatment.  That 'policy' media release did not play out, except as I detailed above.  State hospitals in many local Provinces did not 'get the message' or just ignored it as they often do.  Remember, Thais see all farangs as tourists, and unless they 'know' you (on records) or you have a Thai wife/GF to present your situation, then it aint like in the west - there are no 'rights' in Thailand for Expats (most).  But I do know of (through another mate) a bloke that was not well off financially, and the local hospital agreed to treat him for free after he had recovered and had no money. 

Stonker - I cant be bothered ever again mate - good luck with things going forward.

14 hours ago, oldschooler said:

That is extreme Zero Covid talk.

“ vulnerable” but stupidly mixing with non- vulnerable at inconvenience & expense of the healthy of course. 

“Others” can get vaxxed / get healthy / stay home / don’t travel etc. Don’t Care.

Winter Flu kills 15-20k old in UK alone every year and is managed everywhere in fact by vaccine & medical care alone without Masks /Testing / Quarantine. 
Time to follow that for Covid.Latest after 3rd Jab Programs Completed.

I do not and have not agreed with anyone expousing the views that Covid aint serious and/or vaccines are not useful - although I do agree with the right to not stick a needle in someone. 

However, things are coming to a point when people have got the right to ask - WT* was that all about for the last 2 years, if in the face of the largest surge of positive cases worldwide, you Govts are still 'allowing' things to stay open.

Admittedly it is the 'standard Govt incompetence response' - never admit being wrong. They should not have decided to open things back over Xmas and New Year, and suddenly shutting things down again shows they are idiotic incompetents, so they will not take that approach and will slowly shut things down again step by step.

But it is either a 'health issue' or it is not.  They started free vaccinations and most countries are at or above those levels that they requested for 'herd immunity'. So why are they not just accepting things and start moving forward.  They are making it seem like the last 2 years of lockdowns and vaccinations a total waste of time, when it clearly was not.

Here in Aust they are starting to impose more and more lock downs and rules, when the total vaccination rate is 92% for those over 16.  Now they are starting to 'demand' everyone get a 'booster shot'. Now they are vaccinating those under 16 and including them in the stats and we are now at 72% vaccination rate. 

Going forward, more and more people are starting to say "Enough!".  We are not anti-vaxxers and we are not Covid skeptics - but we are sick and tired of all the bulldust and we want to get on with our lives.  Pick a date in 2022 (June?) - lets start moving forward to letting it all go then.  This wave will be over (hopefully) by then, so that is it - NO MORE. 

• Like 1

Ignore 'Thai apologists' Vlad - they are nothing but trouble mate.

"Thai apologists", why did you invent that about me? So funny.

I assumed he lived in Thailand as he is always moaning about how bad it is, it seemed a natural assumption.

Why moan about a country which has no affect on him?

I was in Thailand for seven months in 2020, I left as I realised they would deal badly with the covid situation and went back to the UK, hence I have no need to moan constantly about the country as so many farangs seem to do on this forum even the ones who do not live there, it is funny.

Thailand is a great country as long as you have the ability to do a runner when such situations arise as we farangs have no rights at all there, but it is great for long holidays.

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, Faz said:

He also said the general election would be fair and even and that never happened, saying something and actually doing it is completely different. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, vlad said:

Who said I was in Thailand jamesR ??

It was a natural assumption, why would anybody moan so much about a country if they do not live there, do you moan about what goes on in China or Brazil for example?

1 hour ago, JamesR said:

I was in Thailand for seven months in 2020, I left as I realised they would deal badly with the covid situation and went back to the UK, hence I have no need to moan constantly about the country as so many farangs seem to do on this forum even the ones who do not live there, it is funny.

You just did James. 😀

Depends on your perspective of the Covid situation, but I suspect some would imply you jumped from the frying pan into the fire by returning to the UK. Indeed at that time many foreign tourists didn't want to return  'home' and have thus remained in Thailand since.

• Like 2

A mate of mine in Khon Kaen (lived in Thailand since 2014) tested positive at the local hospital and was told he would have to pay if he went into the State hospital ward, but because he has full medical insurance it was never going to be an issue.  A couple of others were presented with a bill for PCR tests, one argued and 'won', the other had to pay. The only free tests/support for all Expats I am aware of are those in those vaccination and testing 'stations'.

@Fazhas provided a few media statements by the Thai Central Govt that covid 'treatments' would be free for all people living in Thailand. Sorry Faz but media statements in Thailand aint worth the paper they are written on - same as TAT statements.  That started because of all the compliants they wanted Expats to pay, and yet Thais in other countries were getting free treatment.  That 'policy' media release did not play out, except as I detailed above.  State hospitals in many local Provinces did not 'get the message' or just ignored it as they often do.  Remember, Thais see all farangs as tourists, and unless they 'know' you (on records) or you have a Thai wife/GF to present your situation, then it aint like in the west - there are no 'rights' in Thailand for Expats (most).  But I do know of (through another mate) a bloke that was not well off financially, and the local hospital agreed to treat him for free after he had recovered and had no money. 

Stonker - I cant be bothered ever again mate - good luck with things going forward.

Disappointing if not appalling.

I've crossed swords with many here, frequently far more strongly than this  (most recently with @Faz 😲!), but at least everyone else has the decency and consideration for others here to either agree to disgaree or to concede when clearly shown to be wrong, as I do, so those reading the forum aren't misinformed - particularly when knowing the correct information could cost others not just a considerable amount of money but a considerable amount of time and inconvenience.

@Faz's link wasn't a "media release by the Thai Central Govt" but a statement by the Ministry of Public Health confirming the position ("treatment free of charge to all COVID-19 patients, including non-Thai citizens, covering diagnostic testing and treatment expenses as a means to control the spread of the virus." - my bold)

That was not only confirmed in a public announcement by the PM but was "then published in the Royal Thai Gazette making it law" as @Fax explained.  It wasn't an option leaving it up to the discretion of local hospitals but was the law.

The policy was also confirmed by the WHO:

"It is the MoPH policy that all hospitals, public and private, must do their best to treat patients with
COVID‐19 (all who live on Thai soil, irrespective of nationality) without delay until they are out of
immediate danger or transferred to other hospitals. Hospitals may not charge the patients but will bill
the NHSO or DDC for reimbursement.
" (my bold).

As I wrote in another thread, giving the full details from the NHSO about Home quarantine and why farangs were NOT automatically quarantined in a private hospital as had been alleged:

"Argumentative, quite possibly (even arguably 🤣) but those hospitalised unnecessarily, contrary to NHSO regulations, who are paying out between 150,000 and 300,000 baht that they shouldn't be, and those who are avoiding a PCR test because they're worried that they'll be "confined to a hospital against their will, even if asymptomatic, if they get a positive result"  can turn to forums like this to get two types of responses:

1. Somewhere to complain about being farangs being "scammed", some sympathy, and someone who'll "agree" how terrible it all is that they're being given "outrageous bills" by Thais with "questionable business ethics ... taking advantage of tourists".

2. Accurate and detailed information explaining the system and the rules, and giving them alternatives and numbers to call so they can do something about it if they find themselves in that position ("Contact National Health Security Office at 1330 by phone or their Line official account" and "For enquiries on home isolation, call the Department of Disease Control hotline at 1422.").

I happen to go for Option 2, even if some here prefer Option 1 which is what leads to the 'arguments'.

If I was about to pay 150,000 to 300,000 baht unnecessarily and all I had to do to avoid it was to i) read and know the rules and the options, and ii) call the phone numbers given, I like to think I'd go for Option 2 as well."

It's not even just about the money, although not knowing the score and listening to those giving misinformation could easily cost you a lot - in these cases 300,000 baht ++ 😱!

In my case, for example, if I was to be quarantined in an international hospital the nearest decent one is some 200 kms away in Udon or Khon Kaen so not only would I be paying 300,000 baht for my stay but it would be impossible for friends and family to stay or visit. Instead I could be quarantined in the local hospital for free, in a single room in a nurses accomodation block which has been converted to single, double and family rooms for Covid quarantine, some 10 kms away from home and with nursing staff and a doctor I know and trust; if I got worse I'd be moved to the hospital itself, and if worse still to the ICU in Loei city (still only 50 kms away, and still free).

If those reading these forums know this sort of information, they can act accordingly if it applies to them - get the right visa, make the right reports, and contact the right people.

If they're given the wrong information, though, by those who just have an axe to grind and a massive chip on their shoulder like the fox looking at the grapes, it could cost them dearly.

1 hour ago, JamesR said:

It was a natural assumption, why would anybody moan so much about a country if they do not live there, do you moan about what goes on in China or Brazil for example?

Plenty here do - including one notably on this thread who can't stop "warning" others 😂!

I can't quite follow it, but my guess is that they tried living here and couldn't adjust, which is perfectly understandable as it isn't for everyone - I wouldn't want to be anywhere else, but that doesn't mean it's a utopia or for everyone.

Instead of just accepting it, though, and moving on they had to find someone to blame and keep on blaming to justify it - and guess who that is 😂?

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, AussieBob said:

Going forward, more and more people are starting to say "Enough!".  We are not anti-vaxxers and we are not Covid skeptics - but we are sick and tired of all the bulldust and we want to get on with our lives.  Pick a date in 2022 (June?) - lets start moving forward to letting it all go then.  This wave will be over (hopefully) by then, so that is it - NO MORE. 

But YOU'RE NOT HERE and you've got no intention of coming here!!!

If you're "sick and tired of all the bulldust and [you] want to get on with [your] lives" in Aus, then why spend so much of your life telling those that are here in Thailand what "we" should be doing and what date "we" should be picking?

Particularly when what you're telling people is misinformed and could cost a lot of people a lot of money 🥵?

(OK, I think my point has been made so I'll move on)

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Faz said:

You just did James. 😀

Depends on your perspective of the Covid situation, but I suspect some would imply you jumped from the frying pan into the fire by returning to the UK. Indeed at that time many foreign tourists didn't want to return  'home' and have thus remained in Thailand since.

Yes. Left UK for Phuket March 2020 when I saw the rising UK hysteria and unreason. Haven’t left my Phuket home & family since March 2020. Quit my Europe Project when WFH finished. 
Very Last place to see out Covid for me was UK ! Phuket has proved the very best place for that….

• Like 1