News Forum - 6 more Covid-19 infected tourist on the run from Koh Chang

Thaiger

This story is incorrect.

One of the listed men has been staying in my hotel since December 30th. He has his report from hospital and is still in my hotel. How could he have been a runaway from another hotel on January 5th.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Cool 1

6 minutes ago, Raymond said:

Why don’t the hotels hold their passports until the tests come back positive?? It should hold them in place. 

No surprise that you're not the only poster to suggest that ploy, @Raymond. Your debut post too, so thanks for that and welcome to Thaiger Talk!

8 hours ago, Rhino said:

This story is incorrect.

One of the listed men has been staying in my hotel since December 30th. He has his report from hospital and is still in my hotel. How could he have been a runaway from another hotel on January 5th.

Now there's a story in itself, @Rhino . . . not bad going for your debut post . . . Welcome to the forum!

Missing the bigger picture here. Someone high up said they would stop omicron coming into Thailand.

It dully arrives anyway because it was impossible to stop it.

Someone high up risks losing face. Needs someone to blame.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, PohTou said:

I know little about this, but the above comments seem right on.THe Israeli escapee tested positive with”bits of Omicron” - really??? I think the authorities are creating situations which give them fuel for the suspension of Test and Go.  I would like to know who is behind these decisions which must be benefitting someone.  6 positive “escapees” are posing much less danger to the THai than the many thousands of Thai are posing to the rest of their population. Get real. Maybe they arrived negative and then became positive from their contacts with Thai in Thailand. That is something that will continue to happen to fully vaccinated tourists or others who enter Thailand. Will they then be shunted off to Hospitels? Incubation period for Omicron is only about 3 days.

The latest from CDC

Prior to Monday, people who were fully vaccinated — which the CDC has defined as having two doses of the Pfizer or Moderna vaccines, or one dose of the Johnson & Johnson vaccine — could be exempt from quarantine.

Those who are both fully vaccinated and boosted do not need to quarantine if they are a close contact of someone with COVID, but should wear a mask for at least 10 days after exposure. The same goes for those who are fully vaccinated and not yet eligible for their booster shot.

• Thanks 1

I blame Thailand for this. Quarantines have become a business, a legalized scam to rip off tourists. I have a house here and I still need to check into a hotel to isolate. Getting tested positive would be a nightmare. I envy these "fugitives" for their balls.

• Like 1
  • Cool 1

35 minutes ago, lbrown555 said:

I blame Thailand for this. Quarantines have become a business, a legalized scam to rip off tourists. I have a house here and I still need to check into a hotel to isolate. Getting tested positive would be a nightmare. I envy these "fugitives" for their balls.

A strong view, @lbrown555and quite understandable in your situation. Your debut post too, so thanks for that and welcome to Thaiger Talk!

Like it or not its not Tourists bringing Covid into Thailand. For one anyone Boarding a flight to Thailand would have been tested and fit to fly unless there flying untested.  You only need to look back a few day's when a report of Hundreds were being turned away at the Bridge that joins Phuket as reported on Thaiger News. How many do you think had covid passes ? and how many have entered before they got a pull. Its not Rocket Science of how tourist's are getting infected a few days into a holiday in Thailand.

51 minutes ago, lbrown555 said:

i guess australia and new zealand are also or have been depending on what part of oz are co operating with the quarantine scam too! what dribble

• Like 1

One of the six said, that he got the written confirmation of a negative test result and that he didn’t change his accommodation at all. He said, that the police told him, that he got the negative test result because of a confusion about names and that he got the test result of another traveler. 

3 hours ago, Raymond said:

Why don’t the hotels hold their passports until the tests come back positive?? It should hold them in place. 

Would you trust anyone to hold your passport and possibly hold you hostage until they milk you from all your $$

5 hours ago, lbrown555 said:

Where does it state you need to check into a hospital to quarantine?

We've known many people(all Thais) who tested positive and were sent home to quarantine 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Marc26 said:

Where does it state you need to check into a hospital to quarantine?

We've known many people(all Thais) who tested positive and were sent home to quarantine 

More commonplace practice than not.

20 hours ago, LoongFred said:

You're being apologetic for them.  They are simply entitled Europeans who feel they don't need to follow the rules. Don't jail them because they can spread it to others. I'd fine them at least 5-10k us dollars, blacklist, with immediate deportation. Use the fines to support the Thais they have infected.

This is no laughing matter and swift  action is needed. 

Is that the same entitlement as the Thais who open bars serving a few snacks to claim to be a restaurant? Or the same entitlement as as the Thai police who turn a blind eye to bars and. Kind breaking Covid rules? I’m just wondering why it’s only these stupid rule breaking foreigners who are entitled simply because they broke Covid rules? 

1 minute ago, Soidog said:

Is that the same entitlement as the Thais who open bars serving a few snacks to claim to be a restaurant? Or the same entitlement as as the Thai police who turn a blind eye to bars and. Kind breaking Covid rules? I’m just wondering why it’s only these stupid rule breaking foreigners who are entitled simply because they broke Covid rules? 

it's really hard to say i think.  When foreigners hang out in areas and see locals not following rules (i've seen many videos of locals breaking their own rules), foreigners probably think (well if they aren't wearing masks why should i? =, etc).  The blame game is passed on and on and someone just needs someone to blame so they don't get in trouble.  

This is a never ending cycle of lockdowns and restrictions, they just need to be done with it and open everything back up and move on but guess what.. they won't do that because the ones making the rules are profiting the most of this situation.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, gundam0315 said:

it's really hard to say i think.  When foreigners hang out in areas and see locals not following rules (i've seen many videos of locals breaking their own rules), foreigners probably think (well if they aren't wearing masks why should i? =, etc).  The blame game is passed on and on and someone just needs someone to blame so they don't get in trouble.  

This is a never ending cycle of lockdowns and restrictions, they just need to be done with it and open everything back up and move on but guess what.. they won't do that because the ones making the rules are profiting the most of this situation.  

I think it's common practice to expect tourists to abide by laws more than an occasional local 

If you think about it

Locals breaking the rules are still offending other locals 

A tourist is still offending many locals, regardless if other locals are also breaking the rules 

Probably one of those situations where you sit around for ages then ask, "finished? Ok to go?" And the staff just nods and says "ok Kaaa" not knowing what you were asking about.

14 hours ago, Marc26 said:

I think it's common practice to expect tourists to abide by laws more than an occasional local 

If you think about it

Locals breaking the rules are still offending other locals 

A tourist is still offending many locals, regardless if other locals are also breaking the rules 

So if your masked up and a local sits close to you do you have the right to question the covid regulations to him ?

8 minutes ago, vlad said:

So if your masked up and a local sits close to you do you have the right to question the covid regulations to him ?

Of course.