News Forum - 6 more Covid-19 infected tourist on the run from Koh Chang

Thaiger

Apparently the 2,000 baht fine for the first tourist to ditch out of his hotel while waiting for RT-PCR test results was not as big a deterrent as Thai authorities thought as there now been a number of copycat runners that authorities have had to hunt down. Just 2 days ago, officials were able to track down 2 Indian tourists that left their quarantine before receiving test results confirming that they had Covid-19. And now authorities in Koh Chang have released a list of 6 Covid-19 infected fugitives that fled before their positive test results were returned. 6 foreigners left […]

The story 6 more Covid-19 infected tourist on the run from Koh Chang as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

1 hour ago, Thaiger said:

Apparently the 2,000 baht fine for the first tourist to ditch out of his hotel while waiting for RT-PCR test results was not as big a deterrent as Thai authorities thought

Not a deterrent?

It was an open invitation, particularly for those who'd come in with dodgy insurance coverage that wouldn't cover any costs.

• Like 4

Terrible look for tourists. Isnt it kind of convenient they left before their results came back and magically tested positive? Not saying it was a good idea to leave or anything, but this happened to someone else already, hmmmm

The likely hood of all six being positive at the same time is not high. And the article seemingly purports that they all attempted to duck quarantine BEFORE they got their results? If they all were together in one gang, and they all knew they were positive before the test results? How would they have known? Some sort of self-test? Wouldn't this gang have had to come into Thailand in bangkok, stayed one night at an SHE + hotel then received one negative test before being released from the Bangkok hotel? How were they in Koh Chang already? And why were they tested there?

Edited by Freeduhdumb
Grammar correction
  • Thanks 1
  • Cool 1

Surprise. More entitled Europeans. You don't  need to read the articles anymore to know where these people are coming from. 

How stupid are these people? 

Edited by MikeV

1 hour ago, Freeduhdumb said:

The likely hood of all six being positive at the same time is not high. And the article seemingly purports that they all attempted to duck quarantine BEFORE they got their results? If they all were together in one gang, and they all knew they were positive before the test results? How would they have known? Some sort of self-test? Wouldn't this gang have had to come into Thailand in bangkok, stayed one night at an SHE + hotel then received one negative test before being released from the Bangkok hotel? How were they in Koh Chang already? And why were they tested there?

I know little about this, but the above comments seem right on.THe Israeli escapee tested positive with”bits of Omicron” - really??? I think the authorities are creating situations which give them fuel for the suspension of Test and Go.  I would like to know who is behind these decisions which must be benefitting someone.  6 positive “escapees” are posing much less danger to the THai than the many thousands of Thai are posing to the rest of their population. Get real. Maybe they arrived negative and then became positive from their contacts with Thai in Thailand. That is something that will continue to happen to fully vaccinated tourists or others who enter Thailand. Will they then be shunted off to Hospitels? Incubation period for Omicron is only about 3 days.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Koh Chang is probably now a new centre for Covid as this lot don't seem to care for rules of preventing Covid transmission.  

Unless they have contacts that will hide them, I would say 2-3 days at most before they are rounded up and quarantined.  Hell of lot of potential time to infect a few thousand.

Jail and other harsh penalties are needed to deter future idiots.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, PohTou said:

I know little about this, but the above comments seem right on.THe Israeli escapee tested positive with”bits of Omicron” - really??? I think the authorities are creating situations which give them fuel for the suspension of Test and Go.  I would like to know who is behind these decisions which must be benefitting someone.  6 positive “escapees” are posing much less danger to the THai than the many thousands of Thai are posing to the rest of their population. Get real. Maybe they arrived negative and then became positive from their contacts with Thai in Thailand. That is something that will continue to happen to fully vaccinated tourists or others who enter Thailand. Will they then be shunted off to Hospitels? Incubation period for Omicron is only about 3 days.

Irrespective of where they got Covid, they are deemed to have it and therefore contagious.

But if you are positive why run?

Why not do the correct thing and isolate?

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, palooka said:

Irrespective of where they got Covid, they are deemed to have it and therefore contagious.

But if you are positive why run?

Why not do the correct thing and isolate?

Seems to be incredibly stupid as Immi will have their info. Hopefully they are arrested, charged and imprisoned for a few weeks, to set an example, when attempting to exit Thailand.

Edited by PBS
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, PBS said:

Seems to be incredibly stupid as Immi will have their info. Hopefully they are arrested, charged and imprisoned for a few weeks, to set an example, when attempting to exit Thailand.

Maybe they are that stupid or they are running because they have reasons to run.

2 hours ago, MikeV said:

Surprise. More entitled Europeans. You don't  need to read the articles anymore to know where these people are coming from. 

How stupid are these people? 

Appears to be the fashion of late. 

Wonder if anyone is connecting the dots.

Im afraid no matter what governments do, its impossible to stop, and even slow down the spread of Omicron.

It seems to be as contagious as Morbilli, so all preventative measures are useless, it will find everyone within a few months.

We can only hope that vaccination and booster shots prevent severe syndroms.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Does said:

5 of the 6 have been caught.  Yet, why did the hotel allow them to check out?  The hotel had to know that their test results were not completed.   The hotel should also be held responsible.  

Hotel staff aren’t police or Immigration. As I wrote yesterday, how many Covid free people are checking out of their hotels before getting their test results? Holding the passports would seem like the simplest approach but handing your passport over is a big leap of faith and Thailand simply hasn’t earned that trust. 

Edited by Fanta
changed non positive to Covid free
  • Like 2

So why are you reporting only tourists fleeing to escape quarantine?

Many Thais everyday escape quarantine?

Don’t see Photos on the lookout for them?

Is this racism of tourists?

And why in the article did staff let them check out , if their results were not known?

Is it not the Hotels who give them the go ahead to check out?

regards

Grant

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

It’s not hard to contact Authorities if Your guests check out before results are known?

And why let them check out beforehand?

How hard is it to find Tourists on an Island?

Transport authorities?

Boats?

What is the agenda here?

who is to blame?

Hotel Staff?

The tourists?

The cost of Quarantine facilities?

The scare tactics?

The Government regulations?

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Somchai said:

Im afraid no matter what governments do, its impossible to stop, and even slow down the spread of Omicron.

It seems to be as contagious as Morbilli, so all preventative measures are useless, it will find everyone within a few months.

We can only hope that vaccination and booster shots prevent severe syndroms.

I ain't worried,  because my government said get the vaccine so I can live without fear.

• Haha 1

I'd like to thank these tourists for the coming trouble that expats have to deal with soon. Thanks to these people there will be a certain stereotype created. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, PohTou said:

You're being apologetic for them.  They are simply entitled Europeans who feel they don't need to follow the rules. Don't jail them because they can spread it to others. I'd fine them at least 5-10k us dollars, blacklist, with immediate deportation. Use the fines to support the Thais they have infected.

This is no laughing matter and swift  action is needed. 

• Haha 1

A good Point made by someone!

If you tested negative on arrival , then more than likely you contracted the Virus by a Thai already with the Omicron Virus!!

95% of Thais don’t get tested & think they have a cold?

why do you blame tourists who have already had negative tests to arrive?

The highest probability of Catching the Virus is by Airport staff, Taxi drivers, Hotel Staff , & General population in Tourism industry that are Thai??

These are the people that should be checked daily!

If you were serious about not spreading a Virus??

The untested ?

The Unknown?

The tourists have been tested and will be tested ?

But for tourism to continue for your economy, you must test the Tourism staff daily!!

Expensive yes!

But logical that the most vulnerable be tested daily!

If you do not want Covid-19 in Thailand then you can’t have your cake and eat it too!

Either stop all tourism or get testing done on all People involved in tourism daily!

Simple but complicated??

• Like 1

3 hours ago, PBS said:

Jailed for 1 day for each day they are missing. 2000baht for each day they are missing.