Road Rage is a Western thing???

GMoney2312

3 minutes ago, Pinetree said:

well we should all try to integrate and fit into the culture

Do you mean like driving the wrong way on a road, going through red lights and running pedestrians over that are on a pedestrian crossing or even driving slowly in the overtaking lane on dual carriages.πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

4 hours ago, ninja said:

and as someone else said......... do NOTΒ  give the fingerΒ 

i used to keep the newpaper with photo of falang lying in the street..... shot at light after doing so.

that got the message across to me.Β  Β  cursing the fkr out works best for me to release anger.Β  Β while sitting in my car out ,Β  Β and out of distance....naturally

A lot worse than that is to hold up your shoe.Β 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Marble-eye said:

Do you mean like driving the wrong way on a road, going through red lights and running pedestrians over that are on a pedestrian crossing or even driving slowly in the overtaking lane on dual carriages.πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚

In regard to the ladies, not driving. I would maintain that living here I have become a much better and more aware defensive driver and rider than before. I have never concentrated so hard whilst driving in my life.Β Β 

• Like 3

• 2 months later...

Back to the OP, I used to find driving back in Aus for the first few days after a month in Thai more stressfull. Much more likely to get involved in a "raging" situation in Sydney than in BKK. that is my honest personal experience.

First thing that shocked me when I got back home was how fast we take off from the stop signals, driving in Thailand is like a slow and easy move off, I guess it's because of all the diesel pickups.

I guess I have just become used to it now I don't drive that much, 60,000 in 10 years, but have never had a bad raging incident, although I was deserving of it a few times when I first started driving here.

Yes Thailand driving in general is pretty bad, my best suggestion is to calm down and go with the flow, be aware of your surroundings and drive at the speed so you can stop if a grandmother on a bicycle pulls out in front of you.

1 hour ago, Thaidup said:

First thing that shocked me when I got back home was how fast we take off from the stop signals, driving in Thailand is like a slow and easy move off, I guess it's because of all the diesel pickups.

No, it's to allow all the red light runners time to clear the intersectionΒ πŸ™„Β and any motorcycles who decide to cut across from left to right in front of all vehicles.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Thaidup said:

Back to the OP

Β 

Road Rage is a Western thing???

I brought my driving characteristics over here and for the first few years I found it intolerable. Then I >unidentified slang term< up, a when in Rome attitude is much easier on the heart rate and blood pressure. Just be patient and treat it as if you are on a holiday. In Thailand you have more of a chance of causing the death of someone on a motorcycle than anyone has of causing your death whilst driving a car.

Β 

• 3 months later...

Showing rage generally is not a Thai thing. It's considered crude to show anger. They'll get back at you in more subtle ways.Β 

• Like 1