Road Rage is a Western thing???

GMoney2312

My first time driving in Udon Thani yesterday- Good Lord the motor bikes rule the streets! They go first, do what they want first, and there is no politeness to their driving style.

After getting stuck behind another car attempting to park, I got a gap in the traffic, put on my signal and whipped around the car to free myself up.

A hard charging man on a motor bike did not appreciate having to alter his course from behind me and yelled out some words of disappointment laced with a few profanities- in English!

So I travelled all with way to Thailand to get treated like I was back in The States? Just too hilarious.

Clearly this fellow how not learned how to "chill out" yet in his new surroundings.

(My wife found a great liquor store about 6 minutes away from our hotel- we will take a Tuk Tuk! )

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Ahh yes, the driving here...

It's absolutely $hyte. For the first two years of driving here, I felt as if I was a learner again. 

The lorries or trucks - is it semis, you lot call them:classic_laugh:, are a complete nightmare. Those *word of choice deleted* drive however they want, & rarely indicate.

Where's the booze shop?

There's a really good one on Posri road, on the same side as immigration. They sell small cigars too & the owner sapeaks very good English.

It's about 10 minutes from Central & easy to find.

Also on Posri road is VT Nam Nuong, a Vietnamese restaurant. Good food, inexpensive & very clean.

https://m.facebook.com/profile.php?id=134242930030246&__tn__=CH-R 

IMG_20220105_061003.thumb.png.ae18732a9dbad3e9e977474ffa6b8e17.png

• Like 1
  • Cool 2

I do think Thailand has a lot of selfish and inconsiderate drivers 

Compare that to when I road a MB in Hanoi.

Everyone is so intimidated by the sheer mass of MB's on the street

But I found them very considerate and willing to let people in 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Marc26 said:

Where's the booze shop?

Our hotel is right by the Central Plaza off the 22. Posri road near that?

1 hour ago, Marc26 said:

Everyone is so intimidated by the sheer mass of MB's on the street

I think the issue is that when a light changes down the street and you think there will be a chance to cross over, so many MB have already broken into the street so the flow is always constant. But this was the first real business day after the New Year- so maybe it was just a super heavy day.

Nobody can beat the Russians at road rage, any altercation they just get out of their car, have a quick scrap and back about their business again as if nothing had happened. But with the Thais some/many often carry guns, baseball bats or even swords, it is just not worth the hassle of retaliating. And in the UK our equivalent of that is "I've got you on camera mate, you'll be on Youtube tonight"

• Like 3
  • Haha 2
  • Cool 1

“ expect the unexpected “ is the phrase often used to describe driving in Thailand.

My list of pet peeves:

Drivers who speed up if you show any indication of pulling out into traffic in front of them.

Parking anywhere, a 7-11 at the end of my soi makes exiting the soi an “ accident lottery “.

Cutting corners: when exiting my soi left onto a busy frontage road am always confronted by mc’s head on, some then pass on my right, others on my left.

Central u-turns: when trying to make this already dangerous manoeuvre a pickup/Fortuner always cuts the line to double up and block my vision.

The list goes on and on .

But once you have spent some time travelling the highways, sois and cities of Thailand you become immune to the stupidity seen daily and adapt, I’m sure our standard of driving drops over time as we become “ local “. My gf occasionally reminds me to “ cool my heart “ if I show any signs of anger or wanting to drive like a local !!

Kinda reminds me of when I went to live in Brazil in the mid 90’s: a lack of any policing on the roads and the chance of getting out of trouble with a little bit of cash means any traffic rules are null and void.

Even the threat of severe maiming or death in a traffic accident does not deter the boy racers or “ me first “ drivers.

Stay alert and stay safe out there guys !!

• Like 5
  • Cool 1

1 hour ago, GMoney2312 said:

Our hotel is right by the Central Plaza off the 22. Posri road near that?

Yes, it is.  

256 Posri Road

Dunno why, but I can't post a picture of the shop, anyway it's on the corner, just after Immigration. A tuk tuk driver will know it.

IMG_20220105_090527.thumb.png.39b7e4818c56aaa79903b68bcf450eb3.png

IMG_20220105_090548.png

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Faraday said:

256 Posri Road

We found it! Dropped 8000 baht. Cigars too!

Tried to talk him down 200 baht on a bottle of Scotch, but got rejected. Nice guy. He gave use his info so he can mail cigars to me if I want. 

And I avoided the traffic headaches and we took a Tuk Tuk. Easier to study the area as well by not driving.

• Like 1
  • Cool 1

42 minutes ago, DwizzleyMatthews said:

Stay alert and stay safe out there guys !!

Thanks for the stories! I did not have to imagine any of that! Lived it!🤣

• Haha 2

15 minutes ago, Faraday said:

Yes, it is.  

256 Posri Road

Dunno why, but I can't post a picture of the shop, anyway it's on the corner, just after Immigration. A tuk tuk driver will know it.

IMG_20220105_090548.png 0 B · 1 download

I can't find it, I was interested in what beer they might have.
When I find 256 on google maps, it appears to be a shop selling clothes to the left of TMB:
1636429148_Screenshotfrom2022-01-0509-30-45-1000w.png.c1cec2564997cbbb4720240e059433f1.png
When you say 'after immigration', is that going to the fountain roundabout, or coming from it?

Always remember one thing - Thais do a lot of things wrong to each other (not just Expats) when driving and riding. But what they never (very rarely) ever do is insult each other. Doing that causes a 'loss of face' and by causing a Thai man to lose face, you can be subjected to severe and immediate retribution, or if they know where you live, then it can come later.  Stay calm and never criticise or react angrily - especially if in an accident - the downsides are not worth it.  But the upside to that is that if you are ever involved in an accident the main aim for everyone (including the police) is to 'save face' and reach an amicable settlement.  Saving face is extreme in Thailand - it over-rides all other issues - period. 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, AussieBob said:

Always remember one thing - Thais do a lot of things wrong to each other (not just Expats) when driving and riding. But what they never (very rarely) ever do is insult each other. Doing that causes a 'loss of face' and by causing a Thai man to lose face, you can be subjected to severe and immediate retribution, or if they know where you live, then it can come later.  Stay calm and never criticise or react angrily - especially if in an accident - the downsides are not worth it.  But the upside to that is that if you are ever involved in an accident the main aim for everyone (including the police) is to 'save face' and reach an amicable settlement.  Saving face is extreme in Thailand - it over-rides all other issues - period. 

In town one day a pick-up pulled out in front of our car without indicating. My wife had to brake sharply, causing a Grab driver behind us to brake sharply and very gently hit our car (yes, I know he shouldn't have been so close).

As we were stuck in traffic, my wife and the grab driver both ran towards the pick-up and angrily asked the driver why he pulled out and didn't indicate either.
The driver was apologetic. The pick-up passenger however started arguing with my wife, claiming he was a policeman - he offered no proof and was wearing scruffy clothes. My wife told him to shut up as he was just passenger. He did shut up!

• Haha 3
  • Cool 1

17 minutes ago, Bluesofa said:

I can't find it, I was interested in what beer they might have.
When I find 256 on google maps, it appears to be a shop selling clothes to the left of TMB:
1636429148_Screenshotfrom2022-01-0509-30-45-1000w.png.c1cec2564997cbbb4720240e059433f1.png
When you say 'after immigration', is that going to the fountain roundabout, or coming from it?

Going towards the fountain, on the right just after the clothes shop.

For some reason I couldn't upload this picture earlier.

They have some Thatchers Cider at 110bt a can. Expensive but very nice. Also Paulener Dark beer, but that's 290bt a bottle. Gorgeous stuff. 

Screenshot_20220105-100245.thumb.png.e7eb934f9f927b728033b47096d3e42e.png

• Like 2

4 hours ago, GMoney2312 said:

My first time driving in Udon Thani yesterday- Good Lord the motor bikes rule the streets!

i noticed that in Udon Thani they drive more aggressively than other parts of Thailand. 

riding a scooter in Hua Hin and a motorcycle all around Thailand being almost run off the road by Thais driving cars I can see why so many Thais are aggressive towards cars. 

down here in Hua Hin where we have lots of very expensive cars driven by Thais and you had better steer clear of the Mercedes Benz while on your scooter because they just don't care at all. 

not trying to defend the chaos. 

• Like 1
  • Cool 1

3 hours ago, GMoney2312 said:

[...] But this was the first real business day after the New Year- so maybe it was just a super heavy day.

Yes, of course, that's it. 🤣

• Haha 2

48 minutes ago, Faraday said:

They have some Thatchers Cider at 110bt a can. Expensive but very nice. Also Paulener Dark beer, but that's 290bt a bottle. Gorgeous stuff. 

Screenshot_20220105-100245.thumb.png.e7eb934f9f927b728033b47096d3e42e.png

I prefer Dickens .

OP , ask if they have Dickens Cider 🥸

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, GMoney2312 said:

Tried to talk him down 200 baht on a bottle of Scotch, but got rejected.

Ha-ha, @GMoney2312; as obliging and agreeable as Thais typically are, haggling over price was the one thing that my Thai wife TOLD me never to do . . . the prices are already cheap, she said, and haggling is just an insult to their best intentions.

But good to know you've found your Scotch and cigars connection!

• Like 2
  • Cool 1

2 minutes ago, DwizzleyMatthews said:

I prefer Dickens .

OP , ask if they have Dickens Cider 🥸

Reminds me:

Do you like Dickens?

Don't know, I've never been to one.

• Haha 4

1 hour ago, Faraday said:

Thanks, found it now. I see it's at 17.40630094, 102.79015406 for the really sad among us.
I'll have a look sometime.

SE Asia has taken away my love of driving.

Back home in Scotland as a youth I loved cars and still do. I've owned some very nice ones over the years and frequently just 'went for a drive' to relax. Even did a bit of rallying at one point.

5 years in Cambodia and didn't dare drive, much more chaotic than here and to be honest, had no need, I just had a tuk tuk driver. Motorbikes again are the real problem there as well with arrogant tycoons in their Range Rovers ruling the roads.

Now in Thailand 5 years I drive but only when I have to. Every trip has at least one near miss. Just don't have the same confidence, and basically it's no fun. Wife has picked up my frequent call of 'idiot!' and uses it too often. Most frequent event is someone passing me when it's just not safe to do so, making me brake hard. They never back down.

I have 4 years till I need to renew my Thai licence, but am already thinking I won't bother. By that time I won't be living so rural so having a car won't be needed to the same extent.

Only fortunate thing here in Kanchanaburi is the roads are pretty good and never really have heavy traffic. Too many mad mototbikes though.

Drive safe.

Edited by Saltire
  • Like 3

28 minutes ago, King Cotton said:

[...] haggling over price was the one thing that my Thai wife TOLD me never to do . . . the prices are already cheap, she said, and haggling is just an insult to their best intentions.

[...]

So you have not many Russians in your area. And also not many Thais like on Phuket, then! 🙊

• Haha 1