News Forum - 2 Sinovac plus Pfizer booster less effective against Omicron variant

Thaiger

While Sinovac said they are still awaiting enough data to show the level of efficacy, a study at Yale University in the US shows that 2 doses of the Chinese-made vaccine with a booster shot of Pfizer look to be less effective against the Omicron variant of Covid-19 than the previous variants. The study was a collaboration between several institutions as well as the Ministry of Health of the Dominican Republic. Full vaccinations of 2 doses of many different brands of vaccine have shown to be far less effective against the Omicron variant but the third booster shot for several […]

The story 2 Sinovac plus Pfizer booster less effective against Omicron variant as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

9 minutes ago, yetanother said:

"so another round of boosters might be in order for millions of people around the world."

that looks to be the mainstream mantra every month for as far as the eye can see

It would be interesting to know how many Countries have 'invested' in purchasing Sinovac as their primary choice and what action they will take as a result of this news.

• Like 2

happy New Year to all
I went for my booster jab ( Moderna) here in the Uk following 2 jabs in bkk in August, I said I was lucky to have Pfizer, as the inoculations at the time were generally AZ , Sinovac , and due to the generosity of of other countries mainly USA I managed to get the Pfizer. 

The medical staff had never even heard of Sinovac 

I hope that all those who had the Sinovac gets a good quality injection and remain safe and well.

As I write some 12 people in my immediate family non whom I have visited have it and all have said they have had worst colds in the past, they range from baby 2 weeks old to 65 with heart conditions but all are well bar from feeling a bit groggy , some didn’t have any symptoms just thought it was UK sniffles . Non even went to see a doctor just normal tests to confirm.

so hopefully it may give reassurance to those who are so worried ( like me in Thailand when I was there) 

• Haha 2

10 minutes ago, Guevara said:

It would be interesting to know how many Countries have 'invested' in purchasing Sinovac as their primary choice and what action they will take as a result of this news.

All of the existing vaccines are less efficient against omicron. The efficacy against other strains also decreases faster than estimated.

Sinovac isn't doing particularly worse than the others except for providing less efficient protection for the mass population overall.

Edited by THETRUTH
  • Like 1

So Sinovac is the placibo.

It was never any good against any variant.

We believed the chinese.

I hear nothing about the effectiveness of the Russian vaccine "Sputnik."

38 minutes ago, Nivram said:

We believed the chinese.

Well, you believe the Western press at any rate. Congrats.

All covid vaccines, regardless of number of doses or mixing with other brands, are less effective against omicron. Why is this even news anymore. 

• Like 4

Well i had 2 A/Z shots and pfizer Booster but today after a PCR test on Friday i tested Positive so i am now in isolation. So all who think its B/S or im ok im vaxxed you can still catch it even if fully vaxxed its the luck of the draw. 

• Like 5
  • Haha 2

44 minutes ago, THETRUTH said:

Sinovac isn't doing particularly worse than the others except for providing less efficient protection for the mass population overall.

The article states that 2xSV+1xPZ is 2.7 times less effective against Omicron than 3xPZ is against Delta, which would make it around 2.3 times worse than 3xPZ against Omicron. To put that into perspective: a chance to halve the number of hospitalizations may have been missed. Qualifying the SV-component as "particularly worse" seems appropriate, especially since it's the immediate efficacy that counts.

If we had the luxury of only needing to consider efficiency, we could double or even triple the required number of boosters. Unfortunately, Omicron spreads fast while it takes many months and a lot of public willingness to reach a somewhat decent level of protection... but it does appear to be the only path available (aside from just being passive).

• Like 2

1 hour ago, vlad said:

Well i had 2 A/Z shots and pfizer Booster but today after a PCR test on Friday i tested Positive so i am now in isolation. So all who think its B/S or im ok im vaxxed you can still catch it even if fully vaxxed its the luck of the draw. 

Well, on the upside, maybe you avoided serious illness. Nothing 100% stops this virus. Get well soon.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, yetanother said:

"so another round of boosters might be in order for millions of people around the world."

that looks to be the mainstream mantra every month for as far as the eye can see

And we should expecting it to be so for some time to come. 

2 hours ago, Nivram said:

We believed the chinese.

WHO "just" accepted it, as vaccine, with just over 50% efficiency against the Wuhan strain! So how is that a surprise, that one of the priciest vaccines is the least good one? Come on, they booster it with AstraZeneca! Which itself .s just a 60-70% efficient vaccine!

1 minute ago, Guest1 said:

WHO "just" accepted it, as vaccine, with just over 50% efficiency against the Wuhan strain! So how is that a surprise, that one of the priciest vaccines is the least good one? Come on, they booster it with AstraZeneca! Which itself .s just a 60-70% efficient vaccine!

What if none of them [being objective] are effective as promoted? Which looks as if this is largely the case. 

Whattaya gonna do now? Whom are ya gonna blame? Any real boogiemen around...?

1 hour ago, Cabra said:

All covid vaccines, regardless of number of doses or mixing with other brands, are less effective against omicron. Why is this even news anymore. 

The news is just, how much less efficient!

And how they not offering real numbers for antibodies, after booster jabs, but just 'xx times better as before the booster'.

3x Az gets compared to 3x Pfizer and Moderna, just the difference comes in the baseline values, not in the multiplier.

And the baseline, the amount of antibodies after 2 shots AZ, Pfizer/Moderna, they aren't telling in the 'AZ is a good booster' story.

Unlucky, after 2 AZ jabs, you have about that many (little) antibodies, like someone after ONE jab of any mRNA jab! Just they (mRNA) get about 15+ times the amount of antibodies with the 2. jab.

And in case the booster is 'just' getting the antibodies up to about the amount from after the 2. jab, ....?

Do the math, mRNA is the only thing to go with. Imho

7 minutes ago, Rain said:

What if none of them [being objective] are effective as promoted? Which looks as if this is largely the case. 

All of them got tested against the 'wuhan' original.

Which was never, at least in the western world, the virus to protect from. Alpha was out, when  Europe started, Delta when Thailand started, now Omicron, but still the 'old vaccines'.

And this mentioned efficiency from 50+ to90+ , which is the WHO indicator, is against 'getting infected'. On top of that is the second efficiency, against getting SICK or lethal effects of the virus, in case you get infected.

More and more people get infected, now. But unless you wanna be cynical and are saying 'the vulnerable died before the vaccines were out' :

Why there are so many more infected, but the hospital and the icu numbers, the death toll, aren't sky rocking?

just saying, but I think the jabs keepin' people alive. Aside we have to take into account, we still see it every day,  fully vaccinated, booster'd people letting the (mask) guard down.

Looking on the roads in Phuket, looking into central festival, lots of tourist don't even care to put the mask under the nose anymore!

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Rain said:

Not shiting yourself and running round looking to blame someone Rain would be a start protect yourself and others don't think your safe but don't start flapping.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Guest1 said:

The news is just, how much less efficient!

And how they not offering real numbers for antibodies, after booster jabs, but just 'xx times better as before the booster'.

3x Az gets compared to 3x Pfizer and Moderna, just the difference comes in the baseline values, not in the multiplier.

And the baseline, the amount of antibodies after 2 shots AZ, Pfizer/Moderna, they aren't telling in the 'AZ is a good booster' story.

Unlucky, after 2 AZ jabs, you have about that many (little) antibodies, like someone after ONE jab of any mRNA jab! Just they (mRNA) get about 15+ times the amount of antibodies with the 2. jab.

And in case the booster is 'just' getting the antibodies up to about the amount from after the 2. jab, ....?

Do the math, mRNA is the only thing to go with. Imho

I agree. mRNA is the gold standard

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Transam said:

Fink that one is Vodka based.....😜

On the plus side, no one complains about requiring multiple boosters.

• Haha 3

2 minutes ago, JMJM said:

On the plus side, no one complains about requiring multiple boosters.

Lealy....?

How's about Israel, for starters?

• Like 1