Which famous musicians have you met in person?

BigHewer

We see them on TV, on YouTube and perhaps from afar at a concert, but which famous artists have you met in person? Share your stories and encounters here.

• Like 1

Actually met Rod Stewart many years ago in Harrods as we walked straight into one another and he apologised. Very smartly dressed man.

• Like 2

Just now, Andrew Reeve said:

Actually met Rod Stewart many years ago in Harrods as we walked straight into one another and he apologised. Very smartly dressed man.

Was he alone or did he have Rachel Hunter with him?

• Like 1

I was walking along Grafton Street in Dublin in 1993 and The Edge from U2 was pushing his bicycle down the street from the other direction. We kind of blocked each other then moved in the same direction to get out of each other’s way. He smiled and said “Sorry about that” and I said something similar and we moved on. Kind of funny because U2 had just released the single “Numb” with The Edge on vocals. The song contains the line “Don’t apologize”. 😁

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

24 minutes ago, BigHewer said:

We see them on TV, on YouTube and perhaps from afar at a concert, but which famous artists have you met in person? Share your stories and encounters here.

Do singers count? 

• Like 1

Thais most of them, the ones I wanted to anyway, western ones not interested. Did meet Diana Ross in london once in 1985, most unpleasant woman.

Edited by Sarisin

Leon Russell. My friend was his lead guitarist and I spent about a year hanging out at Leon's house and studio in Los Angeles in the 1970's. 

And Blind Melon Chitlin'. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, BigHewer said:

All fair game John

In that case. 31/2 number one hit singers, all from being a cabbie: Lulu, Fergal Sharkey, Jimmy Young, the 1/2 was Telly Savalas (he only spoke on his number one). 

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Andrew Reeve said:

On his own on a shopping trip and he was very friendly and wished me well.

Sailing into you at Harrod's probably provided him with the inspiration to change the lyrics of the song he was recording at the time.  That's why we seldom hear the I Am Shopping early version of that hit-song...

Roger Daltry, circa 1972, drove him home from a Fleet St address to his home in North London.  I only became aware of WHO he was while we were talking, quite a normal affable chap.

• Like 3

Didn't actually meet him, but I sat one row behind Shane Mac Gowan, on a flight to Seattle, in the early 90's.

He drank a huge amount of alcohol & sat there pished as a fart, nose running &  vom on his T shirt. 

• Haha 2

A year earlier ~1971, and living on a Thames barge, we'd hold parties every weekend in Summer.  My 'flatmates' were all BOAC staff, engineers and cabin crew.  The girls we attracted were usually Aussies from Earls Court or hosties but every so often a rogue outsider bloke would come along.

Jim Capaldi entertained us with his guitar and ballads, including his soon to be hit 'Love Hurts', (no he wasn't gay nor a hire car promoter) ... hell of a nice bloke and popular song writer for Stevie Winwood.

• Like 4

I was on a bus from London to Holyhead in 1993, not many on it. Most of the passengers had two seats to themselves. The guy across the aisle from looked like a cool dude with his headphones and get up and on one of the stops, I struck up a conversation with him. Turned out he was Louis Freese from Cypress Hill. I'd never heard of them at the time, only found out later. One cool cat.

• Like 1

Met Bruce Dickinson. I just finished a hitch in Algeria and caught the Jet Air flight to Gatwick. While standing outside the cockpit stretching my legs the pilot walked out of the cabin ... Yes! It was Bruce Dickinson. Short haired version of course.

Didn't say anything but was impressed about how tiny he was. Many muso's seem larger on stage. Quite an experience for an Iron Maiden fan.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, mickkotlarski said:

Met Bruce Dickinson. I just finished a hitch in Algeria and caught the Jet Air flight to Gatwick. While standing outside the cockpit stretching my legs the pilot walked out of the cabin ... Yes! It was Bruce Dickinson. Short haired version of course.

Didn't say anything but was impressed about how tiny he was. Many muso's seem larger on stage. Quite an experience for an Iron Maiden fan.

I’m always confused by how Singapore Airlines play Enya at the end of a long-haul flight as the passengers are getting ready to de-plane. Always used to say that Iron Maiden would be a better fit, just to wake everyone up.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, BigHewer said:

I’m always confused by how Singapore Airlines play Enya at the end of a long-haul flight as the passengers are getting ready to de-plane. Always used to say that Iron Maiden would be a better fit, just to wake everyone up.

My sentiments exactly.

3 minutes ago, Transam said:

Think 1967/8, David Bowie and Bob Harris, dinner then all crammed into an old Renault (with no doors) to Greenwich for a beer in a riverside pub...😋

Did you speak with Bob?

Does he whisper in real life?

I see he's still going strong at 75, presenting country music on Radio 2.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b006x527

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, Transam said:

We used to go to Kings Road to 'mix' and buy coloured navy flares..😛

Circa '71 I did a brief stint driving a delivery van for a Kings Road mens boutique with several outer London shops.  Velvet was in-fashion along with bell-bottom trou.  I was invited to a Sheik's Park Lane hotel party by BOAC mates ... had to borrow a whole blue velvet suit out the back of the van (which I took home most nights anyway), and I bought a pink shirt with ruffles to go with it ... LOL 

• Haha 3