To make the move?

KerryB

Hi,

I have been to Thailand several times and am thinking of making the move next year. Need some general advice on just about everything. I'm thinking of working online for UK company whilst there but not sure how this would work with visas? I'm also bringing my dog so would love to know the best places to both live and have a pet. I was looking more inland Phuket? Also good to know what expat life is like? 

Thanks

Kerrry

6 hours ago, KerryB said:

I was looking more inland Phuket?

Phuket is an island but you hope to live more Inland  !! so perhaps mainland Thailand would be a better geographical location.

6 hours ago, KerryB said:

Hi,

I have been to Thailand several times and am thinking of making the move next year. Need some general advice on just about everything. I'm thinking of working online for UK company whilst there but not sure how this would work with visas? I'm also bringing my dog so would love to know the best places to both live and have a pet. I was looking more inland Phuket? Also good to know what expat life is like? 

Thanks

Kerrry

Don't rush in. Thailand is a great holiday spot but living here has its negatives. Language barriers, laws and regulations, cultural differences. As well as the good aspects such as hot weather, relatively cheap, reasonable medical services , good domestic flight.

Because your bringing your dog be careful of which airline you choose and be aware veterinary services here are poor to average.

For visas you'll need a 3 month business Non Immigrant "O" visa. You then apply for annual visas and have your company apply for a work permit. I commute from Thailand for work so its been a while sonce I had a work permit here.   

As for working inland, Phuket is an Island and the coastlines are made up with stunning beaches. I assume you don't speak Thai so living in a place such as Chiang Mai or Chiang Rai up north, Chonburi (northern gulf), Hua Hin are suitable as they have expat communities. Last two places are coastal towns.

Good luck Kerry..you're making a big decision so plan wisely. 

• Like 2

Ask around more. Your price range is also needed to be considered. I’m in Chiang Mai and love it. Well it is my home that is fir way over 20++ years. CM has lots of vets everywhere and everything you desire. I don’t know why Phuket would not be a nice place to live. For me I see no problem with it. Just do some more asking around and you should be able to make your choice. And there is nothing to stop you from living to a new local if you want. 

About your visa, perhaps wait a bit on the working visa that doesn't involve the setup of a company - but this can actually a long time.

However officially you CANNOT work on any of the current visa's except Non-B with a Work Permit this is ~100K one-time including creating a company.

Try out various places before making your choice and don't tell anybody if your working from a different visa as this is illegal.

14 hours ago, mickkotlarski said:

Because your bringing your dog be careful of which airline you choose and be aware veterinary services here are poor to average.

Regarding vets and pet care, I did not find this to be the case in Phuket at all when my German Shepherd lived in Phuket. A vet right in Patong, as well as one in Phuket City, both were very good.....

As well as having a great groomer that was cheap as could be, they would come pick him up in the sidecar  :)

But you are correct on being careful with the airline. Cathay scammed us at customs in BKK when we landed

10 hours ago, Marc26 said:

Regarding vets and pet care, I did not find this to be the case in Phuket at all when my German Shepherd lived in Phuket. A vet right in Patong, as well as one in Phuket City, both were very good.....

As well as having a great groomer that was cheap as could be, they would come pick him up in the sidecar  :)

But you are correct on being careful with the airline. Cathay scammed us at customs in BKK when we landed

You were fortunate Marc. The vets in Bangkok North are average to terrible. I have 3 horrible experiences and cannot tolerate the treatment my cats were given by two vets in particular. My house pets are like family and I was disappointed with animal care. Only one vet was passable. 

• Like 1

My advice for what it is worth, hard though it will be, leave your dog behind. This is no place for pets unless they are born here. its a poor and dangerous environment for them and as others have said, pet care is poor here. All you will do is end up shortening the life of your pet and it will probably be miserable. Forget all thought of your dog running free in nice parks, it doesn't happen here. 

Forgot to add that it also means that you need a house not a condo, if that was your idea. 

Edited by Pinetree

11 hours ago, Pinetree said:

My advice for what it is worth, hard though it will be, leave your dog behind. This is no place for pets unless they are born here. its a poor and dangerous environment for them and as others have said, pet care is poor here. All you will do is end up shortening the life of your pet and it will probably be miserable. Forget all thought of your dog running free in nice parks, it doesn't happen here. 

Forgot to add that it also means that you need a house not a condo, if that was your idea. 

I would say that is the exact opposite of my experience taking my dog to Thailand

I don't know how anyone could suggest leaving their pet, they are family.

My dog lived in Patong and then the village.....

Yes the soi dogs were a bit of a pain at first but in my local area, they quickly got used to him and stopped barking when we walked by.

He was treated like a king in my apartment complex and especially in the village.

Sure, it is not as dog friendly with no dog parks, etc but if you are an attentive owner, your dog will have a good fun life anywhere......

On 12/3/2021 at 9:10 AM, mickkotlarski said:

You were fortunate Marc. The vets in Bangkok North are average to terrible. I have 3 horrible experiences and cannot tolerate the treatment my cats were given by two vets in particular. My house pets are like family and I was disappointed with animal care. Only one vet was passable. 

Animal and human medical care can very a lot here and in the west. I've found both were very good and wouldn't hesitate bringing your dog. I too had a German Shepard.  As a pup some local dogs intimidated him, but as he matured he turned the tables. Be aware that heartworm is present throughout Thailand, so take precautions.  Get to know your local vet and be sure your dog is comfortable with her or him. We're lucky because I think the dog is very found of the vet, but I usually have a muzzle on him. 

On 12/6/2021 at 11:30 AM, LoongFred said:

Animal and human medical care can very a lot here and in the west. I've found both were very good and wouldn't hesitate bringing your dog. I too had a German Shepard.  As a pup some local dogs intimidated him, but as he matured he turned the tables. Be aware that heartworm is present throughout Thailand, so take precautions.  Get to know your local vet and be sure your dog is comfortable with her or him. We're lucky because I think the dog is very found of the vet, but I usually have a muzzle on him. 

On 12/2/2021 at 12:06 AM, gummy said:

Phuket is an island but you hope to live more Inland  !! so perhaps mainland Thailand would be a better geographical location.

I guess what I should have asked was, is there any rural locations better to take dogs out for walks with Phuket, although partly wanting to make the move to take him on the beach if this is allowed? Thanks for your replies.

On 12/2/2021 at 12:42 AM, mickkotlarski said:

Don't rush in. Thailand is a great holiday spot but living here has its negatives. Language barriers, laws and regulations, cultural differences. As well as the good aspects such as hot weather, relatively cheap, reasonable medical services , good domestic flight.

For visas you'll need a 3 month business Non Immigrant "O" visa. You then apply for annual visas and have your company apply for a work permit. I commute from Thailand for work so its been a while sonce I had a work permit here.   

As for working inland, Phuket is an Island and the coastlines are made up with stunning beaches. I assume you don't speak Thai so living in a place such as Chiang Mai or Chiang Rai up north, Chonburi (northern gulf), Hua Hin are suitable as they have expat communities. Last two places are coastal towns.

Good luck Kerry..you're making a big decision so plan wisely. 

Thanks for all your advice. Taking it all onboard. Glad @LoongFredhas had better experiences with dogs but I understand this is a huge risk and I am worried. I'm hoping to get to know some local rescues and get some support from them. Are there any airlines anyone can recommend? 

3 minutes ago, KerryB said:

I guess what I should have asked was, is there any rural locations better to take dogs out for walks with Phuket, although partly wanting to make the move to take him on the beach if this is allowed? Thanks for your replies.

Most people who walk their dogs on the beach will carry a long stick 

They don't ever have to hit the street dogs

Just need to raise it or swing it in their direction and they will scatter

And, in my experience with my dog in Phuket 

Once the street dogs are familiar with you and your dog, they will be less yappy

It will be a bit of a pain the 1st month or so with them barking at you all the time 

But the stick and familiarity should calm them down after 

7 minutes ago, Marc26 said:

Most people who walk their dogs on the beach will carry a long stick 

They don't ever have to hit the street dogs

Just need to raise it or swing it in their direction and they will scatter

And, in my experience with my dog in Phuket 

Once the street dogs are familiar with you and your dog, they will be less yappy

It will be a bit of a pain the 1st month or so with them barking at you all the time 

But the stick and familiarity should calm them down after 

My little dog think hes a German Shepherd so hopefully that will help! 😅

Sorry should add the work I hope to do online will be for UK company but with no purpose for being based in Thailand other than playing it safe financially.

33 minutes ago, KerryB said:

@Shark and @mickkotlarski if I worked for a UK company online do you know if I would I still need a work permit? I'm also thinking of volunteering as well as working online and also considering the teaching route. Thanks 

It's officially illegal to work (any activity) without a work permit.
The grey answer would be whatever you do in your own home is your own... well until you tell somebody and then you get deported. It's really like that.

1 hour ago, KerryB said:

if I worked for a UK company online do you know if I would I still need a work permit? 

they short and easy answer is you just don't tell anyone about your work online.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, KerryB said:

Female mid thirties

this may not be important to you at all but the reason i ask this is i hear a lot of women your age are complaining about finding anyone worthwhile to date here. even in Bangkok with a large expat community. 

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, NCC1701A said:

this may not be important to you at all but the reason i ask this is i hear a lot of women your age are complaining about finding anyone worthwhile to date here. even in Bangkok with a large expat community. 

I actually think that is a very relevant point to bring up 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Don't come here for love and don't become a defunct island girl (I have the experience with island girls of Phuket as I have lived there for 3 years prior to moving).

1 hour ago, NCC1701A said:

Would never consider looking for love in Thailand! 

• Cool 1

48 minutes ago, Shark said:

Don't come here for love and don't become a defunct island girl (I have the experience with island girls of Phuket as I have lived there for 3 years prior to moving).

Defunct... wow well I'm already a defunct Island girl 😆

• Like 1