Thaiger Talk Quiz #016 - Temples in Thailand

BigHewer

Rather easy, the 'Wat' in CR is neither a Wat or a temple and has no real connection to religion, it's a privately owned ghastly money making tourist attraction

3 minutes ago, mickkotlarski said:

I've not been back since as I don't want to see the changes but keep cherished memories.

So many times that has happened to me too and your comment resonates. 10 year interval between visits and everything has changed. It’s rarely good when you go back (sadly). That’s why I always make it a mission on every Thailand trip to visit places I’ve never been to before.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Sarisin said:

Rather easy, the 'Wat' in CR is neither a Wat or a temple and has no real connection to religion, it's a privately owned ghastly money making tourist attraction

That’s true Sarisin and it’s probably the worst “tourist attraction” I’ve visited in Thailand for all the reasons you have mentioned. Golden Triangle a close second.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Sarisin said:

Is that the white temple? The artistic one that Chalerm Chai made?

4 minutes ago, BigHewer said:

So many times that has happened to me too and your comment resonates. 10 year interval between visits and everything has changed. It’s rarely good when you go back (sadly). That’s why I always make it a mission on every Thailand trip to visit places I’ve never been to before.

Thank you BH. One of the high lights of being in Japan and why I'm keen on visiting Koya San.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, mickkotlarski said:

Thank you BH. One of the high lights of being in Japan and why I'm keen on visiting Koya San.

I daresay Koyasan will never change. In Japan there is a very conservative approach to tourism and temple attractions. And I live on Koyasan Road, oldest street in Japan (though the temple itself is 100km south) 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, BigHewer said:

I daresay Koyasan will never change. In Japan there is a very conservative approach to tourism and temple attractions. And I live on Koyasan Road, oldest street in Japan (though the temple itself is 100km south) 

Hence one of Japan's best points. Regardless of where I travel to but when I see historical monuments preserved I can't help but think that these people take pride in their heritage. Part of the magic in visiting Odawara Castle and Nikko was knowing the history and seeing it in front of me was wonderful.

Many Thai temples don't reflect this but as mentioned there are a few absolute gems that prove me wrong.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BigHewer said:

I went there in 2003 for three days. At the time the thing that struck me was that even with all the hordes there, it was still vast enough to find an amazing, secluded spot.

Same here, but just for 2 nights. Though my hotel didn’t have a pool 😂 I stayed in a ma and pa guesthouse and “pa” would drive me out there in the morning and pick me up at sunset.

I remember being surprised at how cheap it was to get in. Just checked and now it’s USD 62 for a 3-day ticket. Worth every penny.

I contacted a guy i saw in Conde Nest magazine, he apparently did tours for a bunch of celebrities

He wasn't cheap but he really did have access that no one else had

One day, we were the only ones in the back of Angor Wat for about 90 mins

It was one of the coolest experiences of my life......

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, BigHewer said:

That's the thing

So many people wish things were like they were before but there are so many places in Thailand that barely have tourists

A lot of the beaches south of Hua Hin aren't touristy at all

But then everyone just goes to the tourist places!   (myself included at times)

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Marc26 said:

So many people wish things were like they were before but there are so many places in Thailand that barely have tourists

I think that’s why intrepid folk like your good self seek out the places that barely have tourists: the hidden gems. Like you, I also revisit old favorites but every trip to Thailand, I go to at least one “new” place.

South of Hua Hin I really like Chumphon.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, BigHewer said:

I think that’s why intrepid folk like your good self seek out the places that barely have tourists: the hidden gems. Like you, I also revisit old favorites but every trip to Thailand, I go to at least one “new” place.

South of Hua Hin I really like Chumphon.

My wife isn't much of a traveler, so most times(pre-covid) I always stop in another Asian country before I get to Thailand, while she has already gone back to Thailand.....

I am fortunate in that Vancouver basically has connections to Thailand in almost every Asian country.

And like yourself, I try to get to one new place in Thailand as well on my trips

This trip in January, which who knows if it will happen now,  I will stick to very familiar places, BKK, Phuket and Samui, because not much else open.

But it will be my stepson's 1st trip to Samui, so I can sort of enjoy 'his new place" with him   :)

And it will be just him and I, the 1st time he is legal to drink beer with me!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Marc26 said:

And like yourself, I try to get to one new place in Thailand as well.

This trip in January, which who know if will happen now, will stick to very familiar places, BKK, Phuket and Samui

Fair enough and I think now is probably the time to stick to the familiar.

Incidentally, a new quiz will come out in an hour or so and this topic will be locked…

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Marc26 said:

But it will be my stepson's 1st trip to Samui, so I can sort of enjoy 'his new place" with him   :)

Now that is a hellava thing. My son will (hopefully) be able to travel with me to Thailand in November next year and have his first drink, too. Surely the madness will be over by then?

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Marc26 said:

My wife isn't much of a traveler, so most times(pre-covid) I always stop in another Asian country before I get to Thailand, while she has already gone back to Thailand.....

I am fortunate in that Vancouver basically has connections to Thailand in almost every Asian country.

And like yourself, I try to get to one new place in Thailand as well on my trips

This trip in January, which who knows if it will happen now,  I will stick to very familiar places, BKK, Phuket and Samui, because not much else open.

Quiet enjoyed reading the exchange between yourself and my brother BH. Simple yet profoundly philosophical. Sometimes TT comes up with some very pleasant exchanges and its seems like two friends just having a friendly chat over beer or coffee.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, mickkotlarski said:

Is that the white temple? The artistic one that Chalerm Chai made?

Yes the one where you can't take photo's, inside unless that changed