Thaiger Talk Quiz #016 - Temples in Thailand

BigHewer

Temples in Thailand, and their occupants, are a visible manifestation of poor people being constantly  ripped off for generations,  by religious fantasies.  Never set foot in them myself. Same for Christian churches in poor countries. 

3 hours ago, spicy_girl said:

3 out of 5 nooo! 
I don’t want to be the last one again 🤣

Take heart. I got a 2/5 about my strongest topic a few quizzes ago.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, KaptainRob said:

I got 5/5 ... and I don't even like temples! 🥴

I couldn't eat a whole one either, even though I also got 5/5.
First one was a guess though.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Bluesofa said:

I couldn't eat a whole one either, even though I also got 5/5.
First one was a guess though.

Haaa. Same with me.

• Like 2

Could be an unpopular take

I have been little impressed with most Thai temples, especially inside of them

Just seems like a mishmash of things going on............

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Marc26 said:

Could be an unpopular take

I have been little impressed with most Thai temples, especially inside of them

Just seems like a mishmash of things going on............

Fair enough @Marc26I think a lot of the garden variety temples are much of a muchness, but there are some impressive temples out there worth a visit. 

I visited Wang Saen Suk Hell Garden in Bang Saen 15 years ago and still tell people about it. 
https://www.exutopia.com/wang-saen-suk-hell-garden-thailand/

Been to 4 of the 5 temples in the quiz. The most interesting one (question #4 in this quiz) I have not been to yet. But I will go there some day to make merit 🍺

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, BigHewer said:

Fair enough @Marc26I think a lot of the garden variety temples are much of a muchness, but there are some impressive temples out there worth a visit. 

I visited Wang Saen Suk Hell Garden in Bang Saen 15 years ago and still tell people about it. 
https://www.exutopia.com/wang-saen-suk-hell-garden-thailand/

Been to 4 of the 5 temples in the quiz. The most interesting one (question #4 in this quiz) I have not been to yet. But I will go there some day to make merit 🍺

I went to one, I want to say in Ayutthaya, that I really liked

It had the most exquisite murals all along the front of the temple wall before entering.......

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, Marc26 said:

I went to one, I want to say in Ayutthaya, that I really liked

It had the most exquisite murals all along the front of the temple wall before entering.......

Could be any of them really… very impressive place. I went there 10 or 12 years ago. 70 temples in total in the world heritage-listed complex.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, BigHewer said:

Could be any of them really… very impressive place. I went there 10 or 12 years ago. 70 temples in total in the world heritage-listed complex.

Yes I loved it, I had some of the ruins basically to myself

That is what I really enjoy, is ruins like that

I purpousedly went to Angor Wat by myself because I know my wife wouldn't be into my schedule

I was up at 4am each day and out at the ruins by 4:30-4:45am

Back to hotel in afternoon and lay by the pool and in bed by 8-9pm all 4 nights

And I loved it! Would gladly go again......

• Like 3

17 hours ago, Marc26 said:

Yes I loved it, I had some of the ruins basically to myself

That is what I really enjoy, is ruins like that

I purpousedly went to Angor Wat by myself because I know my wife wouldn't be into my schedule

And I loved it! Would gladly go again......

Angkor Wat is a special place and I too enjoyed exploring the ruins and marvelling at the vastness of construction and infrastructure. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, KaptainRob said:

Angkor Wat is a special place and I too enjoyed exploring the ruins and marvelling at the vastness of construction and infrastructure. 

I went there in 2003 for three days. At the time the thing that struck me was that even with all the hordes there, it was still vast enough to find an amazing, secluded spot.

19 hours ago, Marc26 said:

Same here, but just for 2 nights. Though my hotel didn’t have a pool 😂 I stayed in a ma and pa guesthouse and “pa” would drive me out there in the morning and pick me up at sunset.

I remember being surprised at how cheap it was to get in. Just checked and now it’s USD 62 for a 3-day ticket. Worth every penny.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BigHewer said:

I went there in 2003 for three days. At the time the thing that struck me was that even with all the hordes there, it was still vast enough to find an amazing, secluded spot.

Same here, but just for 2 nights. Though my hotel didn’t have a pool 😂 I stayed in a ma and pa guesthouse and “pa” would drive me out there in the morning and pick me up at sunset.

I remember being surprised at how cheap it was to get in. Just checked and now it’s USD 62 for a 3-day ticket. Worth every penny.

There is no other like the Angkor historical park. I was lucky to go at a time when only 2 major hotels existed. The Khmer Rouge were still in town and the place had more locals than tourists. I've not been back since as I don't want to see the changes but keep cherished memories.

Similar to Koh Samui. I remember a time when there were a zillion coconut palsm per capita and the bulldozers set in. But the memories stay forever.

Most Thai temples are bland but a few gems still exist. 

Like BH  the Wang Saen Suk Hell Garden is a favourite.

• Like 1