News Forum - Pattaya officials concerned high costs of Covid tests will deter foreign tourists

Thaiger

3 hours ago, Jasonmc said:

Don’t forget about Americans who want to travel to pattaya. 

Yeah, but aren't they get testet on the warships , before they are allowed on land....?

3 hours ago, AussieBob said:

what's the problem??

The problem is @Yinnis thinking like a Thai. I’m sure we have all seen it many times. They fixate on money but simply don’t understand the concept of a “cost of sales”, never mind the idea of investing and rate of return. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Bob20 said:

Oh man, hilarious. Get me another tissue 🤣

The whole country is in the pan, everything fun is shut, Covid is running wild.

But the price of the test... Yeah that's why they don't come 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

Oh, more tissues please!!! 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

Yes it’s just one of a string of issues that they have control over that they aren’t dealing with. I’m not sure what it’s like in other countries, but in the U.K. the three or four regional consulates are also closed and face to face appointments at the London Embassy have stopped making it problematic. Before, I could travel 20 mins to the consulate and discuss and apply for my visa and solve any issues there and then. Not any longer as it’s all done on line and by post. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Soidog said:

Yes it’s just one of a string of issues that they do have control over that they aren’t dealing with. I’m not sure what it’s like in other countries, but in the U.K. the three or four regional consulates are also closed and face to face appointments at the London Embassy have stopped making it problematic. Before I could travel 20 mins to the consulate and discuss and apply for my visa and solve any issues there and then. Not any longer as it’s all done on line and by post. 

Just to digress I can see no justifiable reason in this day and age, other than a physical checkup perhaps, why anything can not be done on line. Safer, more efficient and surely use less manpower thus lowering costs. Imagine meeting women and getting married online, no need ever to meet face to face with the MIL 😂

3 minutes ago, gummy said:

Just to digress I can see no justifiable reason in this day and age, other than a physical checkup perhaps, why anything can not be done on line. Safer, more efficient and surely use less manpower thus lowering costs. Imagine meeting women and getting married online, no need ever to meet face to face with the MIL 😂

Yes, I agree, but here? Like all the other efficient and safe applications that work so well? And without data leaks at that? Even when you receive email they CC a few dozen others so you can see email addresses mostly consisting of full names, apparently unable to find the BCC button. Or the brilliant and always working 90 day reporting portal?

But staying hopeful 👍

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, Bob20 said:

Yes, I agree, but here? Like all the other efficient and safe applications that work so well? And without data leaks at that? Even when you receive email they CC a few dozen others so you can see email addresses mostly consisting of full names, apparently unable to find the BCC button. Or the brilliant and always working 90 day reporting portal?

But staying hopeful 👍

But the online shopping explosion in Thailand the last year has opened many peoples eyes. 

5 minutes ago, gummy said:

But the online shopping explosion in Thailand the last year has opened many peoples eyes. 

That's it! 💡 You've found it.

The official Shopee channel!

Works well, and automatically deducts the commission. Saves on envelopes too.

15 minutes ago, gummy said:

This is Thailand.  You'll probably end up marrying a man.

• Haha 1

How about no charges for tests and vaccines - for all.

Novel concept, I realize. 

It's a public health crises, less a venture for the usual profiteering. 

4 hours ago, Yinn said:

If it paid by the “government” it really paid by the Thai people. 

i not want pay for foreigner holiday have holiday. 555555555

Pay yourself. Same I pay myself. (500 baht).

But the tests aren't 500 baht though. If it were, I would say "fair enough, actually cheaper than tests in my home country". The three tests needed for the 14 day sandbox programme is 8,000 baht.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Bob20 said:

Oh man, hilarious. Get me another tissue 🤣

The whole country is in the pan, everything fun is shut, Covid is running wild.

But the price of the test... Yeah that's why they don't come 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

Oh, more tissues please!!! 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

I don't know about the whole Country being in the pan , it appears it's speedily en route to the sewage treatment plant. I'm not into blame games but Prayut is unilaterally calling all the shots which might not affect his lifestyle and well being but is having a devastating effect on the ordinary citizens of Thailand.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Guevara said:

I don't know about the whole Country being in the pan , it appears it's speedily en route to the sewage treatment plant. I'm not into blame games but Prayut is unilaterally calling all the shots which might not affect his lifestyle and well being but is having a devastating effect on the ordinary citizens of Thailand.

Yes, that was my sarcastic point exactly.

Everything is in a downward spiral. But now they blame the lack of foreigners on the price of the test?!?! Come on...

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Guevara said:

!00% agree with you but how many foreigner's living here in Thailand, or perhaps even on this forum,  actually live amongst the ordinary citizens of Thailand so hence truly understand their plight ? Very few I would guess as a proportion. Many pay lip service to their plight perhaps but not many appreciate at 1st hand the hardships that they are currently enduring. Frankly the perceived high cost of covid tests is far from their minds, rather the high costs of pork and eggs is more important to them.

I agree with the cost of Virus tests like a money grab!🤔

Its hard enough getting to Thailand & all the paperwork?

Then the next stab in your back are the  extra costs of testing , and getting to testing sites?

Hotels seem to be over priced for a city that really has nothing for tourists in the low season?

what about more incentive 🤣?

ie; low airfares , discount rates for the double low season ?

it seems phuket is like a Gambler that lost his money, & now trying to recoup the losses by doubling up ?

if you want tourists, you need to go slow with the flow?

They seem very greedy trying to pick and choose which type of tourists they want?

offering incentives to Rich Chinese, Koreans and Middle eastern countries?

get over it!

Just take what you can and be happy!

To me it’s like this!

we always caught Tuna, and made lots of money!

so I not fishing for sardines?

Go back to your roots Thailand!

The little fish started your boom in tourism in the 80s

The big fish will eventually come back

but It’s a waiting game!

regards Grant

• Like 3

41 minutes ago, Rain said:

Exactly. The best single “investment” any government could and should do. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Soidog said:

Yes it’s just one of a string of issues that they have control over that they aren’t dealing with. I’m not sure what it’s like in other countries, but in the U.K. the three or four regional consulates are also closed and face to face appointments at the London Embassy have stopped making it problematic. Before, I could travel 20 mins to the consulate and discuss and apply for my visa and solve any issues there and then. Not any longer as it’s all done on line and by post. 

I know first hand exactly what you mean. It sounds simplistic until you see the hoops and precision timing for all the documentation required. Like you I used to travel 20-30 minutes to the regional Consulate. Seamless and home before lunch. For the foreseeable future I'll sit tight (regrettably).

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Osthos said:

But the tests aren't 500 baht though. If it were, I would say "fair enough, actually cheaper than tests in my home country". The three tests needed for the 14 day sandbox programme is 8,000 baht.

Yes. 8,000 is to much.

2 hours ago, Rain said:

Someone , somewhere will have to pay .

People will end up paying through their taxes .

• Cool 1

3 hours ago, Soidog said:

The problem is @Yinnis thinking like a Thai. I’m sure we have all seen it many times. They fixate on money but simply don’t understand the concept of a “cost of sales”, never mind the idea of investing and rate of return. 

The problem maybe the Thai you know.

where you meet? You not know me.

• Cool 1

3 hours ago, Guest1 said:

Yeah, but you probably have no ploblem, that foreigners paying with one of there tests for another 1 or 2, for locals, right?

Remembered is the price change, for people getting to Phuket, from 300 (when ALL would have had to be tested) to500 (after the thqais got it for free)

https://thethaiger.com/coronavirus/phuket-officials-stick-to-their-dual-pricing-covid-test-guns

Not true. 
foreigner and thai pay same price at Sarasin lab. 
I 100% sure. My friend work there. 
500 baht for everyone.

we go Sunday. You go before? See with your eye? 

4BB2D6C4-C45C-4842-8129-0ED5907EA955.jpeg

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Yinn said:

Not true. 
500 baht for everyone.

Based on seeing doctors at a government hospital and having such things as blood tests previously it seems 500 baht is a fair price. As a Thai do you think it is about the right price to pay ?

12 minutes ago, Yinn said:

Not true. 
500 baht for everyone.

Did you get a positive result ?

Its got positive written in the bottom left hand corner .