Why don't ParaOlympians get more coverage and Praise ?

gummy

The Tokyo Olympics just gone was two weeks of unprecedented coverage by the media worldwide. Everyday on BBC News the front pages were peppered with Olympic achievements by the UK participants, a gold medal won made it headline news. These Olympians did of course deserve praise for reaching the highest echelons of their chosen sport but not without 100 % dedication and devotion that started in nearly all cases from a young age. They certainly deserved the praise bestowed upon them.

However in the ongoing paraolympics  dedicated sportsman hardly receive a mention. In fact today on BBC news Ronaldo gets more coverage, another dedicated sportsman true, but now extremely wealthy  but able bodied.  The media have obviously decided that disable sportsman are not as news worthy, an utter disgrace in my book.

Many of these paraolympians where born with a disability, some very severe. Many also have suffered sever disability through accidents during their life or due to enemy action if they were in the armed forces. They have now had to come to terms with those disabilities 100% of their time . That is something the able bodied olympians did not have to cope with. On top of all that they have now dedicated their lives to their choosen sport 100% yet always take second place in media exposure.

My thoughts are that these paraolympians are worth double to any other able bodied olympian and the media such as the BBC should be called out for their disgraceful coverage of the Paraolympics and next time in Paris give equal coverage to both types of olympic games. 

Para Olympians do not reach the same heights and levels as non para Olympians .

Its a bit different watching a man running the 100 meters in under ten seconds and watching a one legged man running the 100 meters in 23 seconds 

4 minutes ago, Fluke said:

Its a bit different watching a man running the 100 meters in under ten seconds and watching a one legged man running the 100 meters in 23 seconds 

What a disgraceful and biased post. There is nothing different about a man or women trying to excel in their sport and frankly it takes a lot more for a disabled person to excel then one who is able bodied. Tell you what, that "one legged man" will have more guts and skills than the two legged one.

7 minutes ago, gummy said:

What a disgraceful and biased post. There is nothing different about a man or women trying to excel in their sport and frankly it takes a lot more for a disabled person to excel then one who is able bodied. Tell you what, that "one legged man" will have more guts and skills than the two legged one.

I am just stating the reason why the Para Olympics isnt as popular as the regular Olympics with the viewing public .

Quite similar as to why Womans football isn't as popular as Mens football 

1 minute ago, Fluke said:

I am just stating the reason why the Para Olympics isnt as popular as the regular Olympics with the viewing public .

Quite similar as to why Womans football isn't as popular as Mens football 

You were doing no such thing . You stated this "Its a bit different watching a man running the 100 meters in under ten seconds and watching a one legged man running the 100 meters in 23 seconds" That's your own opinion, not one echoed by the viewing public, unless that is you can claim to know all the viewing public or else provide a link for some supporting evidence to support your case.

Until such time I will call your post out yet again as disgraceful and clearly biased against disabled people.  Guess you are the type of person who parks in the disabled parking spots at supermarkets  or think pavement ramps for wheelchair users are an annoyance. 

3 minutes ago, gummy said:

You were doing no such thing . You stated this "Its a bit different watching a man running the 100 meters in under ten seconds and watching a one legged man running the 100 meters in 23 seconds" That's your own opinion, not one echoed by the viewing public, unless that is you can claim to know all the viewing public or else provide a link for some supporting evidence to support your case.

Until such time I will call your post out yet again as disgraceful and clearly biased against disabled people.  Guess you are the type of person who parks in the disabled parking spots at supermarkets  or think pavement ramps for wheelchair users are an annoyance. 

Why do you think that the Para Olympics isn't as popular as the regular Olympics?

Just now, Fluke said:

Why do you think that the Para Olympics isn't as popular as the regular Olympics?

One reason could be that the media are staffed by  people such as yourself who willing state their biased opinions i.e "Its a bit different watching a man running the 100 meters in under ten seconds and watching a one legged man running the 100 meters in 23 seconds"

31 minutes ago, Fluke said:

Bloody disgusting, disgraceful post, you should hang your head in shame posting that.

You would not be so damned smart with your comments, if you were disabled.🤬

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I for one would love to watch the Paralympics on tv. Amazing athletes and they train just the same. It is sort of racist they do not give them coverage.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, gummy said:

One reason could be that the media are staffed by  people such as yourself who willing state their biased opinions i.e "Its a bit different watching a man running the 100 meters in under ten seconds and watching a one legged man running the 100 meters in 23 seconds"

The Para Olympics were televised , but the viewing figures were much lower than  the regular Olympics .

Its  a fact that disabled people can not run as fast as abled people , that's not an opinion

2 minutes ago, HolyCowCm said:

I for one would love to watch the Paralympics on tv. Amazing athletes and they train just the same. It is sort of racist they do not give them coverage.

Did you watch this years para Olympics at all ?

You could have easily have found a free live stream on line .

How many of this years Para Olympic events did you watch ?

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, colinneil said:

Bloody disgusting, disgraceful post, you should hang your head in shame posting that.

You would not be so damned smart with your comments, if you were disabled.🤬

Quite correct @colinneil  It truly was a disgusting opiniated post clearly demonstrating his opinion of what he thought of disabled sports people. Never mind,  Karma is a wonderful thing.

3 minutes ago, Fluke said:

Did you watch this years para Olympics at all ?

You could have easily have found a free live stream on line .

How many of this years Para Olympic events did you watch ?

So far I haven't went online to find it, but now that you mention it I will now. Ahh, thank you. I now see AIS is covering them. Women's shot put, men's wheel chair basketball, and men's wheels chair rugby. Now I have another thing to do in my day. Excellent. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, HolyCowCm said:

So far I haven't went online to find it, but now that you mention it I will now. Ahh, thank you. I now see AIS is covering them. Women's shot put, men's wheel chair basketball, and men's wheels chair rugby. Now I have another thing to do in my day. Excellent. 

Its amazzing how they can do so well at something an able bodied person like myself was so poor at, at school anyway

5 minutes ago, HolyCowCm said:

What are the rules for people entering the Wheelchair Rugby ?

Do they need to be disable or can non disabled people play and just sit in a wheelchair and participate ?

• Angry 1

3 minutes ago, Fluke said:

Do they need to be disable or can non disabled people play and just sit in a wheelchair and participate ?

Read this,

https://media.specialolympics.org/resources/brand-awareness-and-communication/marketing/Special-Olympics-and-Paralympics-Fact-Sheet.pdf

14 minutes ago, Fluke said:

Odd question. I bet you can be a lot of fun at a party.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, HolyCowCm said:

Odd question. I bet you can be a lot of fun at a party.

We are not at a party though, we are in a thread about the para Olympics , and I was making an inquiry as to what the rules are .  

4 minutes ago, Fluke said:

We are not at a party though, we are in a thread about the para Olympics , and I was making an inquiry as to what the rules are .  

I posted this before, now read it and you will be better informed

https://media.specialolympics.org/resources/brand-awareness-and-communication/marketing/Special-Olympics-and-Paralympics-Fact-Sheet.pdf