Why don't ParaOlympians get more coverage and Praise ?

gummy

30 minutes ago, Stonker said:

To answer the original question, I don't think it has anything to do with prejudice at all but is simply down to interest, for two simple reasons.

First, the Olympics are simply for the best in the world in a selected sport, with the only categories being by gender.

So the best male or female runner over 100m, 200m, etc or, unusually, the best horse rider, regardless of gender, in dressage, eventing, and show jumping. 

So to see the best in your favoured event or sport you only watch one event, or at the most two.

In the Paralympics, though, there are a massive number of categories and classifications - in athletics, for example, there are 20 track and 24 field categories for every event for each gender, so to see the best in your favourite event you'd watch at least twenty events, maybe forty four!

Secondly, interest inevitably comes to a great extent from those who've played or followed a particular sport themselves, whether it's running a marathon or playing hockey, and seeing the standard your "peers" have achieved.

In the Olympics they're going to be the best out of a potential 3 billion or more, so that's a potential 3 billion seeing what they could have achieved.

In the Paralympics, though, there are far fewer in each category - in some events potentially a maximum of a few hundred million, in others just a few millon or less.

That's not to play down their achievements or dedication as they're still the best in their category, but their category represents far less people.

It's got nothing to do with prejudice, as you and others seem to like to think it is, but it's simply about the numbers watching or interested in any event in the Olympics or Paralympics reflecting the numbers participating in any event done in the Olympics or Paralympics.

More people are interested in watching the 100 metres than are interested in watching, say, the 50km racewalk or the Modern Pentathlon.

That doesn't make those watching or not watching them prejudiced, or the media "an utter disgrace" for not giving them equal coverage.

Seems like in this day and age , some people just look for a reason to get upset and offended about and a constant quest to find racists and people who discriminate .

Sort of like *If you don't watch the para Olympics then that must mean you have an agenda against disabled people*

Then they go on the attack when they think they've found a discriminately person .

Seems like you have to like and praise everything , if you don't, then you are a hater

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Fluke said:

Maybe its just that some people are way too sensitive and would rather hear lies and untruths and infactual statements ?

Sensitive PC. Woke.

why everyone watch English Premier Leage. Nobody care about Thai Leage? 
Because English is high standard. Exciting/important.
Thai is not. Nobody care. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Fluke said:

Seems like in this day and age , some people just look for a reason to get upset and offended about and a constant quest to find racists and people who discriminate .

Sort of like *If you don't watch the para Olympics then that must mean you have an agenda against disabled people*

Then they go on the attack when they think they've found a discriminately person .

Seems like you have to like and praise everything , if you don't, then you are a hater

Exactly - some people just can't stop whingeing and trying desperately to find fault where none exists.

Is it an "utter disgrace"  and prejudice that the 50 km racewalk isn't given as much publicity as the 100m sprint, even though it's probably the most gruelling event in the Olympics?

Of course it isn't - it's because it's bloody boring.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, HolyCowCm said:

I for one would love to watch the Paralympics on tv. Amazing athletes and they train just the same. It is sort of racist they do not give them coverage.

The Para Olympics  been on television , the problem wasn't them "being racist" for not showing it , the problem was that you didn't switch channels on your television to watch the games .

The BBC have also reported on the games 

https://www.bbc.com/sport/disability-sport

I plan to watch the wheelchair basketball competition.  Those guys are absolute super-athletes!  Of course they are using light-weight wheelchairs, but it is still amazing how they can get that wheelchair through the hoop! 🤪

1 hour ago, Fluke said:

The Para Olympics  been on television , the problem wasn't them "being racist" for not showing it , the problem was that you didn't switch channels on your television to watch the games .

The BBC have also reported on the games 

https://www.bbc.com/sport/disability-sport

This is like beating a dead horse. Yes, they do have coverage on say like AIS, but from what I have seen as I have been flipping in to watch, but maybe I have missed some of the many events already, it seems it is not coverage like they gave the regular Olympics, but yes it is coverage. My final conclusion on the matter is still out as I still am viewing the games. Maybe a better description perhaps is selective discrimination based on corporate greed. But then again it is a business and in the end most corporate businesses are wolfs wanting to look like sheep. For the record, in any part, it is good to see that one can view some of the games as they deserve all the attention they can get. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, HolyCowCm said:

This is like beating a dead horse. Yes, they do have coverage on say like AIS, but from what I have seen as I have been flipping in to watch, but maybe I have missed some of the many events already, it seems it is not coverage like they gave the regular Olympics, but yes it is coverage. My final conclusion on the matter is still out as I still am viewing the games. Maybe a better description perhaps is selective discrimination based on corporate greed. But then again it is a business and in the end most corporate businesses are wolfs wanting to look like sheep. For the record, in any part, it is good to see that one can view some of the games as they deserve all the attention they can get. 

Not sure what your complaint is, apart from that you didn't turn over to the channel to watch it .

It was there for you to watch and you didnt even seem to know the games were being played and you accuse others of being "racist" because you didnt tune in !!!!!!

There us no discrimination there , its all about the sports popularity and viewing figures and what people want to watch on Television 

The Para Olympics are not as popular as the regular Olympics and thus is doesn't receive as much attention and coverage 

37 minutes ago, Fluke said:

Not sure what your complaint is, apart from that you didn't turn over to the channel to watch it .

It was there for you to watch and you didnt even seem to know the games were being played and you accuse others of being "racist" because you didnt tune in !!!!!!

There us no discrimination there , its all about the sports popularity and viewing figures and what people want to watch on Television 

The Para Olympics are not as popular as the regular Olympics and thus is doesn't receive as much attention and coverage 

I had unfortunately crossed my wires on the Paralympics starting, and odd is I did not even see any advertisements in normal news regarding it. And I do read and watch the news. I actually have an old time friend who decades ago was a swimmer. No complaint as of yet, just made another statement saying corporate greed and that can be pulled in any direction you choose to for any corporation of your liking. You know, I never accused others of being racist so you best go back and read what I wrote. Are you insinuating I called members on this forum such as yourself a racist? If you are then you are totally wrong. I did use the word racist but it was towards corporation and directed towards greed, and now I have used the word discrimination and you come back at me with calling people racists. If I had a select word for a certain member on this forum, it would be insensitive.

On 8/28/2021 at 1:41 PM, HolyCowCm said:

I for one would love to watch the Paralympics on tv. Amazing athletes and they train just the same. It is sort of racist they do not give them coverage.

Who was being racist and in what way were they being racist ?

Just now, Fluke said:

Who was being racist and in what way were they being racist ?

I am still watching on it via internet computer and probably made that comment too fast out the gate regarding overall coverage the other day, but it still isn't anything near what the regular Olympics were. So as I changed it today, it is corporate selective discriminatory greed. And yes I am watching both as now the Paralympics, so I am supporting all athletes of all type.

No one on this forum was called a racist. But I will now say insensitive as now I will chip in my 2 cents. But anyway go beat a drum on another OP's door. I am going out for a run. 

6 minutes ago, HolyCowCm said:

But anyway go beat a drum on another OP's door. I am going out for a run. 

Are you watching or participating in the Para Olympics ?

🙂

Edited by Fluke

3 hours ago, Fluke said:

Are you watching or participating in the Para Olympics ?

🙂

Only when I heavily over do it on the booze. But yes watching them now everyday. With no drinking. 

7 hours ago, Yinn said:

Sensitive PC. Woke.

why everyone watch English Premier Leage. Nobody care about Thai Leage? 
Because English is high standard. Exciting/important.
Thai is not. Nobody care. 

Nobody is really interested in the disabled Olympics they just pretend to be to feel virtuous. The normal ones are bad enough with the drug cheats and annoying politic gestures, the ones with people missing limbs and stuck in wheelchairs is just dull and pointless. Well done them, but don't expect many to bother watching.

On 8/28/2021 at 2:41 PM, Fluke said:

Considering that Males who identify as Females can participate in the Female Olympic games , can abled people who identify as being disabled participate in the para Olympics? 

No, you must have a qualified and recognized disability.  Fully able bodied people are prohibited from participating in the ParaOlympics.

16 minutes ago, MrStretch said:

No, you must have a qualified and recognized disability.  Fully able bodied people are prohibited from participating in the ParaOlympics.

Are disabled people allowed to enter the regular Olympics ?