Visa needed to apply for DL?

3 hours ago, MrBoat555 said:

This is where I'm getting stuck. As an Australian, the embassy will not help it's citizens with anything overseas, including proof of address. I often visit Thailand on visa exempt, tourist visa, or business visa. I can't get a residence certificate from immigration, or letter of residency from the Australian embassy, so what are my other choices?

My 5 year license has expired less than 1 year, and I'd like to renew it before it's too late. I don't want to rely on my Australian driver's license because of the trouble and expense of going back to Australia, paying the drivers license tax, waiting for weeks for it to come in the mail, and again going back to pay the local AAA corporation for an IDP every year.

My thoughts are as follows:

1. Use a drivers license renewal service. But are they able to handle this type of issue?

2. Get registered on a tabian baan at my friends house. However, an earlier Thaiger user said that getting this is impossible unless you're married in Thailand. I tried it and was ridiculed by the bureaucrat. Is there a way to do this?

3. This might sound odd, but are there any other embassies that I can go to and fill out an affidavit? I didn't see anything saying that the residence certificate needs to be from the country of your passport.

4. Any other ideas? I'm really quite stuck.

Where are you located? We know how to sort this type of issue for our members. Shoot me a DM and we can set up a time to speak. Cheers.

• Like 1

On 11/8/2021 at 10:08 AM, Faz said:

Requirements can vary at local DLT centres.
I can only relate to my local office who as per your experience will issue the 2 year provisional licence to 'tourists', e.g. Visa exempt or Tourist Visa entry, but will only issue the subsequent 5 year licences to those with a Non Immigrant status.

The mileage may vary at other DLT offices.

House Owners with Yellow Housebook also get the five year TDL. No Immy docs required. 

On 11/23/2023 at 7:49 PM, MrBoat555 said:

This is where I'm getting stuck. As an Australian, the embassy will not help it's citizens with anything overseas, including proof of address. I often visit Thailand on visa exempt, tourist visa, or business visa. I can't get a residence certificate from immigration, or letter of residency from the Australian embassy, so what are my other choices?

My 5 year license has expired less than 1 year, and I'd like to renew it before it's too late. I don't want to rely on my Australian driver's license because of the trouble and expense of going back to Australia, paying the drivers license tax, waiting for weeks for it to come in the mail, and again going back to pay the local AAA corporation for an IDP every year.

My thoughts are as follows:

1. Use a drivers license renewal service. But are they able to handle this type of issue?

2. Get registered on a tabian baan at my friends house. However, an earlier Thaiger user said that getting this is impossible unless you're married in Thailand. I tried it and was ridiculed by the bureaucrat. Is there a way to do this?

3. This might sound odd, but are there any other embassies that I can go to and fill out an affidavit? I didn't see anything saying that the residence certificate needs to be from the country of your passport.

4. Any other ideas? I'm really quite stuck.

Many embassies usually don't do the "proof of residence" thing because they're not the possessors of that information, the Thai government is.  I was talking to an Immigration official a few weeks ago who said the U.S. Embassy refusing to give it out anymore is what forced Thai Immigration to start giving it out, for free, for use at DLT and elsewhere.

Maybe you can find an embassy who will do it for you; the Thais probably won't even notice if it's from your embassy, they just want a piece of paper for the file, no matter how useless.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Stop obsessing about Embassies or Tabian Baan. Waste of Time / Dead End. 

Get the official  DLT List of TDL Requirement from Local DLT Office.

Work through the Items you can do yourself.

Visit Immigration with all your documents ( Passport & Landlord TM 30 might just be enough) for their direct advice re. DLT Residency Cert …….and Agent.

Reach any item you can’t perform yourself  ? 
You have now made a maximum personal effort and have sufficient knowledge to engage an Agent.

Use An Agent. Job Done. 

On 11/28/2023 at 10:15 AM, ChicagoExpat said:

Many embassies usually don't do the "proof of residence" thing because they're not the possessors of that information, the Thai government is.  I was talking to an Immigration official a few weeks ago who said the U.S. Embassy refusing to give it out anymore is what forced Thai Immigration to start giving it out, for free, for use at DLT and elsewhere.

Maybe you can find an embassy who will do it for you; the Thais probably won't even notice if it's from your embassy, they just want a piece of paper for the file, no matter how useless.

<deleted content> 

Guy wants a TDL

not an uninformed useless history lecture and usual nonsense useless & wrong “opinion” 😂😅🤡😩🙈 Again, you simply don’t know what you are talking about …or when to stay silent.. ever ready with bad “data”

<deleted content> 

As a long standing holder of a Five Year TDL I DO know what I’m on about here……

Accordingly, I have given my informed advice here separately.

<deleted content> 

Edited by BigHewer
Unnecessary abuse removed

On 12/2/2023 at 1:47 AM, oldschooler said:

<deleted content> 

Guy wants a TDL

not an uninformed useless history lecture and usual nonsense useless & wrong “opinion” 😂😅🤡😩🙈 Again, you simply don’t know what you are talking about …or when to stay silent.. ever ready with bad “data”
<deleted content> 

As a long standing holder of a Five Year TDL I DO know what I’m on about here……

Accordingly, I have given my informed advice here separately.

<deleted content> 

Wow, you're still after me?  Ignoring your insults and bile, feel free to show where I was wrong.

Edited by BigHewer
Abuse removed from quoted text
  • Like 1

On 12/1/2023 at 11:35 PM, oldschooler said:

Stop obsessing about Embassies or Tabian Baan. Waste of Time / Dead End. 

Get the official  DLT List of TDL Requirement from Local DLT Office.

Work through the Items you can do yourself.

Visit Immigration with all your documents ( Passport & Landlord TM 30 might just be enough) for their direct advice re. DLT Residency Cert …….and Agent.

Reach any item you can’t perform yourself  ? 
You have now made a maximum personal effort and have sufficient knowledge to engage an Agent.

Use An Agent. Job Done. 

Old DL, doctors certificate, copy of passport & yellow book / pink card and Bht 505!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, WilliamG said:

Old DL, doctors certificate, copy of passport & yellow book / pink card and Bht 505!

Oh yes, and proof that you watched the training çartoon' online!

It really is like a kids tutorial. In one part he says to use the 2 second rule for staying behind another vehicle. Later on it is 3 seconds.  Haha.

5 hours ago, WilliamG said:

Exactly but few have the YB / ID so face the CR hurdle …… but surely even tourists can get CR with a TM30? 
pre- YB I got CR just with Possession of House Blue Book & Passport VE Stamp 

1 hour ago, oldschooler said:

Exactly but few have the YB / ID so face the CR hurdle …… but surely even tourists can get CR with a TM30? 
pre- YB I got CR just with Possession of House Blue Book & Passport VE Stamp 

A foreigner cannot have their name in a Blue house book, only for Thais.

54 minutes ago, WilliamG said:

Said “ possession” of BB

• Confused 1

11 hours ago, WilliamG said:

So you mean holding say your wife's, or landlord's Blue Book?

No. As House Leasehold Owner I own & hold BB. Provided with Lease Contract.

BB yes has only Thai Names ( my lady & our son).

YB has only my foreigner name & also Owned by myself as House Lease Owner 

YB acts as CR without any IM involvement and enables Pink National ID.

• Confused 1

On 12/6/2023 at 6:50 PM, WilliamG said:

It must be in a Blue book for PR status.

• Confused 1