Jump to content

News Forum - Record 156 Covid-19 infections as Phuket edges near 800 a week


Thaiger
 Share

Recommended Posts

The number of weekly rolling Covid-19 infections in Phuket is poised to pass 800, as 5 of the last 7 days have seen infections of over 100 people and the 7-day total now stands at 798 new local Covid-19 infections. According to the Phuket Provincial Public Health Office, yesterday marked a new daily high of 156 new infections and one new death due to Covid-19. 79 possible cases were uncovered with antigen test kits, but are not considered official until the patients have been tested using more reliable RT-PCR tests. There are 444 people being held at Covid-19 Care Centres, […]

The post Record 156 Covid-19 infections as Phuket edges near 800 a week appeared first on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

Link to comment
Share on other sites

25 minutes ago, Thaiger said:

The number of weekly rolling Covid-19 infections in Phuket is poised to pass 800, as 5 of the last 7 days have seen infections of over 100 people and the 7-day total now stands at 798 new local Covid-19 infections. According to the Phuket Provincial Public Health Office, yesterday marked a new daily high of 156 new infections and one new death due to Covid-19. 79 possible cases were uncovered with antigen test kits, but are not considered official until the patients have been tested using more reliable RT-PCR tests. There are 444 people being held at Covid-19 Care Centres, […]

The post Record 156 Covid-19 infections as Phuket edges near 800 a week appeared first on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

Is there anywhere that has the figures for each area? No problem I found it, cheers

Edited by Lowseasonlover
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Rain said:

This is the result when you foolishly "open up", going against the best advisement. 

It was a experiment ! I thought it was a good idea . The mistake was allowing migrant workers to come in unchecked.  There also were small cases of foreigners bringing it in during transit ,I believe.

 covid is gonna be around for many years. Sad

 

Edited by riclag
  • Like 1
  • Cool 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, Bob20 said:

Just checking...

I lost my calculator...

800, that's nearly 90 isn't it? 😳

Lol!

Only if you multiply  B sq + S sq ÷ Wsq

Where B=Bull

S= Shit and W = Waffle

=Bullshit over Waffle.

Oh I forgot, multiply all with a prime number.

😂🤣

  • Like 1
  • Haha 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, BIGGLES said:

Lol!

Only if you multiply  B sq + S sq ÷ Wsq

Where B=Bull

S= Shit and W = Waffle

=Bullshit over Waffle.

Oh I forgot, multiply all with a prime number.

😂🤣

I thought that's how the FDA consider approval for Pfizer?

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

They are detecting this number of infections as they are testing many more people as a ratio of the local population in Phuket due to the sandbox experiment.

So if they were testing the rest of Thailand in such detail just think what the real number of infected people is in the whole of Thailand.

If you don't test, you don't know.

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

In phuket Town mostly thais and many not want sinovac, the cases are rapidly rising. here in patong where every bar restaurant massage and hotels I know staff have been 100% vaccinated and it seems to be the main area vaccinated tourists are going to.  the covid here was at 137 for 3 or 4 weeks now only 1 more.. they don't count the tourists that get caught in the testing here because they saying they were already infected, but I believe its at 70 since the start of the sandbox.. and today I read there is 444 in phuket Town that are in isolation from being tested with the fast antigen test that are not recorded as  a case until they have a pcr test.. so weather this is just luck, fully vaccinated patong looks to be holding the infections off

Edited by Malc-Thai
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Tell us how many people are being vaccinated each day in Phuket and what is the overall vaccine rate.  Surely this should be a priority and the numbers should be going up since the July 1 opening !

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, JamesR said:

They are detecting this number of infections as they are testing many more people as a ratio of the local population in Phuket due to the sandbox experiment.

So if they were testing the rest of Thailand in such detail just think what the real number of infected people is in the whole of Thailand.

If you don't test, you don't know.

Population approx 70 million. Tests undertaken 8 million plus (or 116,000 per million). Hardly scratching the surface is it. Bit like an iceberg. Technically Prayat could be accused of mass involuntary manslaughter as a result of his complacency and incompetence with his so called vaccine roll out.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, Brettbkk said:

Tell us how many people are being vaccinated each day in Phuket and what is the overall vaccine rate.  Surely this should be a priority and the numbers should be going up since the July 1 opening !

They said they needed to vaccinate 466k of phuket population.. but read they only vaccinated 420k 1st dose and 380k 2nd dose so not the 466k fully vaccinated for 70% heard immunity but 70% of the 70% needed! . they have asked today for 470k more vaccines as booster jabs so it shows that figure of 466k is approx 70% 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, Guevara said:

Population approx 70 million. Tests undertaken 8 million plus (or 116,000 per million). Hardly scratching the surface is it. Bit like an iceberg. Technically Prayat could be accused of mass involuntary manslaughter as a result of his complacency and incompetence with his so called vaccine roll out.

Yes I agree as in "Hardly scratching the surface..."

But the problem is they have very few vaccines to give out in Thailand as they ordered far too late, for instance in the UK they ordered their vaccine last year and now they are over 75% fully vaccinated in the adult population and are now vaccinating teenagers.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

34 minutes ago, Brettbkk said:

Tell us how many people are being vaccinated each day in Phuket and what is the overall vaccine rate.  Surely this should be a priority and the numbers should be going up since the July 1 opening !

 

25 minutes ago, Malc-Thai said:

They said they needed to vaccinate 466k of phuket population.. but read they only vaccinated 420k 1st dose and 380k 2nd dose so not the 466k fully vaccinated for 70% heard immunity but 70% of the 70% needed! . they have asked today for 470k more vaccines as booster jabs so it shows that figure of 466k is approx 70% 

Just some facts: Vaccines give protection against becoming sick. They are fully effective 2-3 weeks after the second dose. So, you need to receive the doses well before you get into contact with the virus.

This is why you DO NOT say: We open a sandbox on 1 July and then have insufficient and inferior vaccines and jab people too late and close to opening date. Then protection is not optimal yet and one should NOT STILL stubbornly proceed with the opening. Vaccinating now with such big numbers of carriers is too late. Once you carry the virus already, you don't need the vaccine, because you will become sick or develop natural antibodies.

That is why Chiang Mai, where not even 10% is jabbed and can NEVER be fully jabbed by mid September, can NOT safely open on 1 October either. 

I am sure that TAT and the Government know this, because if anyone in such positions still does not know this after 20 months, they've been sleeping. 

This is why you FIRST vaccinate and THEN make plans and open up. Not the other way around.

Edited by Bob20
  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, Bob20 said:

This is why you FIRST vaccinate and THEN make plans and open up. Not the other way around.

Have you forgotten where you are?

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 hours ago, Thaiger said:

The number of weekly rolling Covid-19 infections in Phuket is poised to pass 800, as 5 of the last 7 days have seen infections of over 100 people and the 7-day total now stands at 798 new local Covid-19 infections. According to the Phuket Provincial Public Health Office, yesterday marked a new daily high of 156 new infections and one new death due to Covid-19. 79 possible cases were uncovered with antigen test kits, but are not considered official until the patients have been tested using more reliable RT-PCR tests. There are 444 people being held at Covid-19 Care Centres, […]

The post Record 156 Covid-19 infections as Phuket edges near 800 a week appeared first on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

Are these numbers mentioned in GMT  or r u not allowed.ppl need to know really

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, Bob20 said:

This is why you FIRST vaccinate and THEN make plans and open up. Not the other way around.

You just need to tell the Prime Minister that. But I am sure he does not want to loose face for stating that Thailand will be open by then.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, AdvocatusDiaboli said:

You just need to tell the Prime Minister that. But I am sure he does not want to loose face for stating that Thailand will be open by then.

The people in his circle agree with every word he says, not only because they've been handpicked, but also as they don't want to lose their spot at the trough.

If he listened to real advice, he would take different decisions.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Bob20 said:

The people in his circle agree with every word he says, not only because they've been handpicked, but also as they don't want to lose their spot at the trough.

They must have read Animal Farm.

All animals are equal, but some animals are more equal than others.”

  • Cool 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

As usual, not enough details. How many amongst the total, were incoming international tourists? From what I have heard, a very low percentage. Which may confirm my theory. Which is that the incoming tourists are at far greater risk by coming to Thailand, than the locals are by being exposed to them. So, it is the local Thais who are the Zombies in this equation! 

Which is all the more reason to relax all the restrictions on fully vaccinated foreigners, who have been tested multiple times. Are there any adults making the decisions?

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, Brettbkk said:

Tell us how many people are being vaccinated each day in Phuket and what is the overall vaccine rate.  Surely this should be a priority and the numbers should be going up since the July 1 opening !

The last update on this I saw was on 22-August on a Thai government facebook page (in Thai language).  Their graphic reported:

* 428,114 vaccinated with 1-jab (of either Sinovac or AstraZeneca)

* 352,343 vaccinated with 2-jabs (ie a subset of above, most likely 2-jabs Sinovac but there may be some double jabs of AstraZeneca)

Target for vaccinations is to fully vaccinate 466,587 people where 463,661 have registered for vaccination (if I interpret that Thai language graphic correctly). 

The article claims 92% of target given 1-jab and 75% of target given 2-jabs.

I don't believe the target of 466,587 is the population of Phuket. My estimate of Phuket's population, which includes expats, migrant workers, and all children under age-of-18 (in addition to everyone else in Phuket) is a population a bit less than 600,000 - but that is a pretty 'wild' guess, as I think after last June/July-2020 exodus from Phuket, and then the slow Jan-to-April-2021 trickle back into Phuket, that no one knows the real population of Phuket.  If I use my speculated 600,000 as the population basis then ~71.3% have been vaccinated with 1-jab and 58.7% vaccinated with 2-jabs. 

I think what is also important, and not reported much in English language news, is what % are in ICU/serious symptoms, what % mild symptoms, and what % no symptoms?  From what I can see, the VAST MAJORITY have only moderate to no symptoms.  A recent Bangkok Post article:  https://www.bangkokpost.com/thailand/general/2171079/phuket-logging-about-100-new-covid-cases-a-day  notes for Phuket only 2% in intensive care, 13% had mild symptoms, and 85% were asymptomatic.

I speculate that % of symptoms (or lack there of) is better for Phuket than the Thailand average, but I don't have overall Thailand figures (at same time) to compare to, hence I can't be certain.

Edited by oldcpu
  • Like 3
  • Cool 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Unfortunately, your content contains terms that we do not allow. Please edit your content to remove the highlighted words below.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

  • Join Thaiger Talk Today!

    Sign up in 30 seconds and join the discussion on everything Thailand!

  • Latest Posts

    1. 2

      News Forum - Friends assault teenager, anger over harmless message to Thai ex

    2. 4

      News Forum - Elderly woman abducted and sexually assaulted by drug addict

    3. 4

      News Forum - Monk arrested for sexually assulting seven year old niece

    4. 0

      Thaiger Talk Quiz #266 - Which year did it open?

    5. 57

      News Forum - Thailand ranks 32nd globally for Muslim travel

  • New Topics

  • Tell a friend

    Love Thaiger Talk? Tell a friend!
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By posting on Thaiger Talk you agree to the Terms of Use