Yellow House book and Thai ID Card for Expats

AussieBob

25 minutes ago, Ric_Grimes said:

Most?? Where did you get that fact from? 🤐 

Previous reports and now at my Amphur.

26 minutes ago, Ric_Grimes said:

Mine were happy with translations by a local, certified translator. No need to go to the Embassy.

That was my experience - 8 years ago. 🙄

43 minutes ago, Ric_Grimes said:

Most?? Where did you get that fact from? 🤐 

Mine were happy with translations by a local, certified translator. No need to go to the Embassy.

Mine was also by coincidence, eight years ago too. I used a local Thai/English school who stamped the translation with their company stamp, which was accepted by Amphur Mauang, Udon Thani.

I translated my name into Thai myself and asked the staff to use it, which they were happy to do.
No disrespect to Thais, but they usually have little knowledge of how to pronounce foreign names, therefore how to write them in Thai Script to keep the name the same.

• Like 1

I will try Hua Hin immigration later this week...I am told they have a separate office for Thai ID in a photo shop by the larger immigration office....as always will let you know what I find out.

• Thanks 1

On 8/18/2021 at 9:01 AM, PompeyLlama said:

Have to say that other than going to the hospital it seems to be next to useless. 

Exactly right, a waste of time as a Thai driving licence is just as useful, if not more so.

Edited by Pinetree

2 hours ago, BainaiThai said:

I will try Hua Hin immigration later this week...I am told they have a separate office for Thai ID in a photo shop by the larger immigration office....as always will let you know what I find out.

I've been through there.  Convenient but will cost you dearly if you need to use their copy machines.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Transam said:

it was created for a reason, I would have thought...........😉

Haha, that did make me laugh out loud. Many, many things have been implemented in LOS, for no logical reason that any westerner can fathom out? 

• 3 weeks later...

Got my certificate of residency on Friday in HH.  5 min with the clerk providing APPLICCATION FORM RESIDENCE CERTIFICATE IN THAILAND (no form#),  passport, current owners blue book (which now has my wifes name in it) and certification of land ownership in addition to the bahn.... 10 minutes to print, stamp and sign the cert and deliver to me 485 baht..I went back in the office and had two copies made @ 3 baht ea.  I will try for a local translation of my US passport next week.  No hurry, I am very retired.

Edited by BainaiThai
spelling

I now have a certified translation of my Passport main page...next challenge translating my parents names into Thai.  May I just piece it together with the Thai alphabet?

17 minutes ago, BainaiThai said:

I now have a certified translation of my Passport main page...next challenge translating my parents names into Thai.  May I just piece it together with the Thai alphabet?

If your applying for permanent residency status you should open a new topic.
This topic is about obtaining a Yellow house book and pink Thai ID card for foreigners.

On 2/10/2022 at 12:03 PM, Pinetree said:

Exactly right, a waste of time as a Thai driving licence is just as useful, if not more so.

Quoted by a poster who probably can’t get one.

It allowed registration so that I got my initial Cov. vaccine jab the first week of June last year.

Most have a Thai Driving Licence and of course it is useful, but wouldn’t allow to register for above.

I read many were scrambling to get a Yellow Book and Pink card around that time.   YMMV

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Faz said:

If your applying for permanent residency status you should open a new topic.
This topic is about obtaining a Yellow house book and pink Thai ID card for foreigners.

Sorry Faz, but BainaiThai is right on topic since you need your parents names, birthdates and places translated to obtain a pink tabien ban card.

24 minutes ago, OOber said:

Sorry Faz, but BainaiThai is right on topic since you need your parents names, birthdates and places translated to obtain a pink tabien ban card.

He's applying for permanent residency, so as part of the process must have his name entered in a Blue Thai House book. That's a totally different process than being discussed in this topic, which is to obtain a Thai ID card for foreigners you must first register and obtain a Yellow house book.

The only similarity is that he needs to get his parents names translated.

7 minutes ago, Faz said:

He's applying for permanent residency, so as part of the process must have his name entered in a Blue Thai House book. That's a totally different process than being discussed in this topic, which is to obtain a Thai ID card for foreigners you must first register and obtain a Yellow house book.

That is correct, but not in your quote. In any case, it is also part of the process here discussed.

I have been reading in this thread that some consider this pink ID useless or no better than the Thai driver's license. Bank's for a few years now wouldn't accept the driver's license but the pink ID in Bangkok and Pathum Thani. It is also a requirement when foreigners apply for Thai Citizenship.

The yellow house book also helps to hold on to your partial ownership of the house in case of death of spouse. This could help to protect you from relatives forcing you out without reimbursing you for your financial investment.

1 hour ago, Mynemesis said:

Quoted by a poster who probably can’t get one.

It allowed registration so that I got my initial Cov. vaccine jab the first week of June last year.

Most have a Thai Driving Licence and of course it is useful, but wouldn’t allow to register for above.

I read many were scrambling to get a Yellow Book and Pink card around that time.   YMMV

I got my first vaccine, free. at BHP in Late June too, by registering by e mail with my passport and as a previous out patient so had a patient number .  I suggest that you don't invent benefits that are not there.   I have never tried to get a Thai ID,  one because I'm not committed to this country enough and two, it has no benefits that I can't get with either passport or a DL. Pre covid I even got the Thai rate to enter the Open Zoo, something many with a Thai ID boast about.  I have yet to hear or read a valid advantage of a Thai ID and that idiotic and useless Yellow Book. replaces 90 day checks, no, replaced CoR for DL, no,  replaces a Entry Permit when you return to LOS, no, replaces a TM30, no, gets you in everywhere at the Thai rate , sometimes. 

1 hour ago, OOber said:

That is correct, but not in your quote. In any case, it is also part of the process here discussed.

I have been reading in this thread that some consider this pink ID useless or no better than the Thai driver's license. Bank's for a few years now wouldn't accept the driver's license but the pink ID in Bangkok and Pathum Thani. It is also a requirement when foreigners apply for Thai Citizenship.

Absolutely no comparison and totally different topics.
The reason for having separate topics is to provide clarity for members who may come along seeking advice.
If you permit the procedure for obtaining a Thai ID card by applying for permanent residency, with that of registering your details at an Amphoe to obtain a Yellow House book and thus a Thai ID card, your just creating confusion for others to follow.

Those wishing to obtain a Thai ID card for foreigners via the regulations as laid down in the Civil Registration Act, must first register and submit an application for a Yellow Tabien Baan at their local Amphoe. Civilian Registration Act (2008) ENG.pdf
The process should be free, albeit the 20 BHT I paid for a protective plastic cover.
You will be issued a Thai ID number that denotes your Immigration status starting with a '6'.
(Denotes; Those who entered the Country unlawfully or those who entered the Country lawfully with intent to stay in the Country on a temporary basis)
Your still required to apply for your 1 year extensions of temporary permission of stay.
Your still required to submit 90 day reports.

On the other hand those wishing to apply for permanent residency must do so by submitting an application through Immigration as laid down in chapter 5 of the Immigration Act. Immigration Act B.E. 2522 (1979) ENG.pdf
The process is by no means free, in fact expensive.
The applicant must be registered in a Blue Tabien Baan as part of the process.
He will be issued a Thai ID card that denotes his Immigration status starting with an 8 or 9'.
(Denotes; Foreigner obtaining permanent residence status)
Does not have to submit applications for a 1 year temporary stay.
Does not have to submit 90 day reports.

Two different Acts, two different procedures, two different topics.

The only similarity as already stated is having documents translated to Thai.
Your also required to have documents translated when registering a foreign marriage or registering a marriage in Thailand. Using your analogy, should those discussions therefore been permitted under this same topic. 

I am sure @BainaiThai would help members further by opening a new topic to detail his road to obtaining Thai residency and the procedures, costs, and his own personal experiences.

1 hour ago, Pinetree said:

I got my first vaccine, free. at BHP in Late June too, by registering by e mail with my passport and as a previous out patient so had a patient number .  I suggest that you don't invent benefits that are not there. 

I registered for my vaccine through my head of village, however if you tried to register through the expatvac site that was created for the purpose of registration it wouldn't accept a Passport number, only a 9 digit Thai ID number.

Now topic isn't about vaccine registration so let's stick to the topic please.

I was told by the PKK amphur office that I needed a Certificate of Residence to get my Thai ID card.  I am not qualified for "permanent residency" because I cannot fulfill the language requirement.

33 minutes ago, BainaiThai said:

I was told by the PKK amphur office that I needed a Certificate of Residence to get my Thai ID card.  I am not qualified for "permanent residency" because I cannot fulfill the language requirement.

😂 Now I've got you, it's a 'residence certificate', as proof of your register address from Immigration, not a 'certificate of residence' which is entirely different.
Application for residence certificate.pdf 

That's an unusual request, they usually request the Blue House book of the address you intend to register as living and the consent form signed by the person named as the 'head of household'' in the House book.

Yeah, we tried that with owner present, blue book in hand but Amphur office said they needed residence certificate.  Like I said earlier...no rush, I am very retired and no matter how mind numbing some of these exercises are they are a break from the daily routine...thanks for staying with me on the thread...your experience and expertise are appreciated.

1 hour ago, BainaiThai said:

they are a break from the daily routine..

You sound bored?  There are at least  50 other things I would rather be doing on any one day than jumping through those idiotic hoops.  

• Like 1

On 3/5/2022 at 9:50 AM, BainaiThai said:

Yeah, we tried that with owner present, blue book in hand but Amphur office said they needed residence certificate.  Like I said earlier...no rush, I am very retired and no matter how mind numbing some of these exercises are they are a break from the daily routine...thanks for staying with me on the thread...your experience and expertise are appreciated.

Now that is the way to spend your retirement, Good on ya BT,  Lesson for others here.🙂

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

Sharing my experience this week at Pak Kret Municipality Office (not sure I should open a new topic, let me know)

My friend is a recently widower of 18 years with Thai wife and no kid. He applied for house registration in Pak Kret because he owns a condo there (his name is on the deed of the condo)

First of all, the staff was very friendly and helpful.

Documents that were necessary (a bit more than what was initially mentioned by the front desk):

- original and copy of blue house registration of the condo (which holds no name for his case)

- copy of buy/rent contract of the condo

- copy of the condo deed

- copy of house registration of his wife

- copy of marriage certificate (both the flower one and the "non-flower" one :) )

- ministry of foreign affair certified passport copy (for him he also had to get the copy certified by his embassy first as he is not from English country)

- Four 1 inch id photo

- copy of work permit (screenshot of digital work permit from phone then printed)

- death certificate of his wife

- a witness that has to explain her the relationship with my friend, and her ID card

It is worth preparing Thai version of the following words/names:

- applicant name

- both parents of applicant names (they are printed on the house registration)

- Company name and job title if working (work permit might not have it in Thai)

If his wife was still there, death certificate wouldn't be necessary and she could have been the witness.

Since he can speak some fair Thai, the officer also directly applied for a Thai ID card (pink one). It took about 4h to do the whole process.

He is now owner of house registration and punk Thai ID card.

Edited by JScoobyCed
Add information needed

On 8/18/2021 at 4:51 PM, Faz said:

Thais use the Tabien Baan and ID card together for most things and that's how foreigners should use them.

Things I've successfully used my TB and ID card for.

• Renew my Thai Driving Licence.
  • Purchase a vehicle.
  • Renew Road tax.
  • Renew vehicle Insurance.
  • Tax registration and annual returns
  • Opening new bank accounts.

renew car tax and renew vehicle insurance,  no id required.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, cockneyboy said:

renew car tax and renew vehicle insurance,  no id required.

You didn't need the ID log book?
And how did you register your name and address in that?

10 hours ago, Faz said:

You didn't need the ID log book?
And how did you register your name and address in that?

you were talking about renewing car tax and insurance, not putting a vehicle in your name, therefore no id card required

what is an id log book