Climate Change report suggests warming has accelerated

gummy

43 minutes ago, gummy said:
1 hour ago, Bluesofa said:

You mentioning the floods in 2011 jogged my memory. I was working in Bangkok at the time, in Bang Na which was completely dry, as was Swampy. There were other more central areas we kept seeing on the news that were flooded for days.

My house in Don Mueang was flooded for 3 months

A bit of irony the airport that was dry being called Swampy I suppose.

22 minutes ago, KaptainRob said:

Is that big flood mitigation tunnel and pumping system working ok or not yet tested?  I seem to recall someone forgot to turn it on last time there was an emergency.  

There's a possibility of flooding this year if a tropical depression dumps over central regions which may do nothing for the dam levels, just cause erosion and loss of crops.

I seem to recall that's happened in a few places.
Wasn't there one time when no one knew who had the key to access the pump so it wasn't turned on?

30 minutes ago, KaptainRob said:

Is that big flood mitigation tunnel and pumping system working ok or not yet tested?  I seem to recall someone forgot to turn it on last time there was an emergency.  

There's a possibility of flooding this year if a tropical depression dumps over central regions which may do nothing for the dam levels, just cause erosion and loss of crops.

Well haven't lived there since 2012 but yes the tunnel is built. The only issues is that the discharge is below mean sea level apparently, so let's see how that works out if Bangkok is deluged again.

10 minutes ago, Bluesofa said:

Wasn't there one time when no one knew who had the key to access the pump so it wasn't turned on?

That was it!  

2 minutes ago, gummy said:

The only issues is that the discharge is below mean sea level apparently, so let's see how that works out if Bangkok is deluged again.

Discharge below MSL will work although best on a falling toward low tide.  Most coastal flooding occurs during heavy river discharge and high tides and it should still have some nett effect within a localised area.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Bluesofa said:

A bit of irony the airport that was dry being called Swampy I suppose.

Well it was know as a cobra swamp prior to the land filling. But the irony is , and yes Don Mueang airport did get about 1 mtr of flood water in 2011 due to run-off from central Thailand, but it is 2.7 mtr above sea level where as Swampy is only 2 mtrs.  Not that sea level rise will flood it perhaps this century, it is just all the roads to it giving access to the elevated expressways will be permanently flooded in many places !!

Just now, bushav8r said:

I see the same cycle.

Exactly. And the context of the cycle against the long term CO2 fluctuations. What's left out of the earlier chart is the off-the-chart increase in CO2 over the past few decades. Nothing like it has been seen in the past half-million years.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, JamesE said:

Exactly. And the context of the cycle against the long term CO2 fluctuations. What's left out of the earlier chart is the off-the-chart increase in CO2 over the past few decades. Nothing like it has been seen in the past half-million years.

I wasn't necessarily agreeing with you.  I was just observing that all the charts shown were similar.  

10 minutes ago, bushav8r said:

I wasn't necessarily agreeing with you.  I was just observing that all the charts shown were similar.  

Nor did I assume you were. I was just providing more context than a red line and snowflakes.

I ponder the billionaire race to space (suborbital space) and the fact that both of these men are acutely aware of climate change.  I wonder if they're privy to a level of understanding that the rest of us are ignorant, and they are just crossing things off their bucket lists.  Taking a rocket to bust out of the atmosphere is akin to me driving an 18 wheeler down to my mail box to check the mail.  The whole thing is more than a little mind boggling.  Is it all just ego gratification?

• Like 2