Climate Change report suggests warming has accelerated

gummy

25 minutes ago, TiT said:

Global lockdowns on unprecedented levels yet we're still spiking.  Yeah, good luck reversing that.

This is the thing. We don't know what the warming lag time is. Are we looking at the effect of 1980 cumulative emissions or 1880 or 2019? So far the argument has been "Oh, yeah, CO2 and T are tracking really well." But all the models have shown themselves to be much more conservative than what's been happening. Nobody has a clue as to how much warming has already been baked into the system. Interesting times, these.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, JamesE said:

This is the thing. We don't know what the warming lag time is... Nobody has a clue as to how much warming has already been baked into the system. Interesting times, these.

Indeed.  I would tend to think that most people won't give a shit unless it directly impacts their own generation or lifetime as well.  If there is indeed a lag time, good luck conveying that point to the people of this selfish planet.

• Like 3

43 minutes ago, Faraday said:

And how come this snotty little school girl invites herself to the climate conference in Glasgow this year and will be allowed in ? I thought this conference was for senior government officials from around the world, scientists, climatologists etc. If she is allowed in with here childish rants, for which she you will actually do nothing about herself, apart from expelling harmful carbon dioxide during her rants, the conference possibly should allow a few Glaswegians from the local bars in to speak.

At least they may explain in straight forward layman's' terms what the public feels should be done in the practical sense, rather then a few days of conference jolly's for the ladies and gentlemen and schoolchild where all what will result is lip service perhaps.

12 minutes ago, gummy said:

And how come this snotty little school girl invites herself to the climate conference in Glasgow this year and will be allowed in ? I thought this conference was for senior government officials from around the world, scientists, climatologists etc. If she is allowed in with here childish rants, for which she you will actually do nothing about herself, apart from expelling harmful carbon dioxide during her rants, the conference possibly should allow a few Glaswegians from the local bars in to speak.

At least they may explain in straight forward layman's' terms what the public feels should be done in the practical sense, rather then a few days of conference jolly's for the ladies and gentlemen and schoolchild where all what will result is lip service perhaps.

I agree, you cannae ignore a Glaswegians comments that's for sure???

Treat climate change as you would Covid—question the data, follow the money trail, and be suspicious of "experts"

There may be climate change—but is it due to human activity?

Ask the question, do the research, you will be shocked at what you find.

• Like 4

Lol.
Just finished reading an article a couple minutes ago titled: "UN report: Earth warming likely to pass limit set by leaders"
(https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/world/un-report-earth-warming-likely-to-pass-limit-set-by-leaders/ar-AAN68Bu?li=AAggFp4)

I just had to comment on it:

"What ?  A bunch of humans sat around and decided that the Earth shouldn't get any warmer.......and the Earth ignored them ?!?!?!?

Wow ! It's almost like people have NO control over the Earth's orbit around the sun and NO control over it's "axial tilt" which are the TWO things that actually DO control climate change.

They honestly are stupid enough to think that the planet has never been "warm" before !
Despite the fact that REAL scientists (not angry 16 year old kids) have determined that the Earth has spent roughly 85% of it's existence in a "greenhouse" state where NO ice existed !

Of course, there are those dumb enough to think the earth is flat and was only created 6,000 years ago so it shouldn't be a surprise that there are those who think they can just "snap" their fingers and Earth's climate should immediately obey their wishes like a good little puppy.

Except humans aren't the master. They are more like the bacteria the lives in the gut of the mite that infests the flea that lives in the puppy's fur.

Climate change on earth is going to happen whether or not people like it and that's not going to change because some kid is angry about it.

Scientists have known for over 200 years that the Earth's orbit around the sun was responsible for climate change.
Over 100 years ago, one scientist even determined there was a "cycle" to it (now known as the "Milankovitch Cycle").

So guess what ? Instead of thinking we are supreme beings with the ability to change a planet's orbit by simply wishing it so, maybe we should realize we aren't even a flea by comparison and should start putting our efforts towards planning for what is going to happen.

You know, like STOP building cities on the edge of oceans !

Accept that the ice is going to melt and start planning on how to use all that land that will become available to live on and grow crops on.

Instead of listening to angry kids and whining that the Earth isn't being an obedient puppy.
"

(Ran out of space to comment any further on that article. I was shocked that my comment wasn't immediately flagged for "review" or outright deleted as often happens when someone is critical of "Greta" it seems.)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, kerryd said:

Instead of listening to angry kids and whining that the Earth isn't being an obedient puppy.

There's just so much wrong with everything that came before this. I mean really. Sure there are cycles. But climate cycles work on the order of millennia, not decades. As with other scientific endeavors discussed on the forum my suggestion is to learn - do not listen to others, even me - for yourself. Understand chemistry, understand geology and how deep "deep time" really is; most of all understand thermodynamics and the math behind it particularly the concept of eutectics and phase change.

Or you can just watch YouTube and post more stuff in purple.

It comes down to one thing: All of the shorter period (as in thousands of years or less) cycles that you talk about from axial precession to Milankovitch to even sunspots say we should be in a major cooling period.

But we're not.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, kerryd said:

Lol.
Just finished reading an article a couple minutes ago titled: "UN report: Earth warming likely to pass limit set by leaders"
(https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/world/un-report-earth-warming-likely-to-pass-limit-set-by-leaders/ar-AAN68Bu?li=AAggFp4)

I just had to comment on it:

"What ?  A bunch of humans sat around and decided that the Earth shouldn't get any warmer.......and the Earth ignored them ?!?!?!?

Wow ! It's almost like people have NO control over the Earth's orbit around the sun and NO control over it's "axial tilt" which are the TWO things that actually DO control climate change.

They honestly are stupid enough to think that the planet has never been "warm" before !
Despite the fact that REAL scientists (not angry 16 year old kids) have determined that the Earth has spent roughly 85% of it's existence in a "greenhouse" state where NO ice existed !

Of course, there are those dumb enough to think the earth is flat and was only created 6,000 years ago so it shouldn't be a surprise that there are those who think they can just "snap" their fingers and Earth's climate should immediately obey their wishes like a good little puppy.

Except humans aren't the master. They are more like the bacteria the lives in the gut of the mite that infests the flea that lives in the puppy's fur.

Climate change on earth is going to happen whether or not people like it and that's not going to change because some kid is angry about it.

Scientists have known for over 200 years that the Earth's orbit around the sun was responsible for climate change.
Over 100 years ago, one scientist even determined there was a "cycle" to it (now known as the "Milankovitch Cycle").

So guess what ? Instead of thinking we are supreme beings with the ability to change a planet's orbit by simply wishing it so, maybe we should realize we aren't even a flea by comparison and should start putting our efforts towards planning for what is going to happen.

You know, like STOP building cities on the edge of oceans !

Accept that the ice is going to melt and start planning on how to use all that land that will become available to live on and grow crops on.

"

(Ran out of space to comment any further on that article. I was shocked that my comment wasn't immediately flagged for "review" or outright deleted as often happens when someone is critical of "Greta" it seems.)

I think most are aware of the cyclic events that have occurred over millennia leading to warming and cooling of our planet and most I am sure realise that man has no influence over that. The IPCC  report was highlighting the more more recent human influence on these natural events specifically warming and the apparent acceleration of warming. However as we only have accurate records for 200 ish years of actual yearly temperatures then the change in rate of temperature can only be based on what amounts to a pin prick of data.

The 1.5 C temperature increase that appears to have been agreed as the point at which warming is uncontrollable is based on computer modelling utilising data known to man at the time and as science ad knowledge  is always evolving who is to say that these predictions would be valid in say another 200 years time when science and knowledge has developed further ? So we either accept what we are told or we don't.

However we do know in our lifetime that the climate is changing. Winters are generally warmer and summers hotter and sea levels are rising as it is constantly being measured. So given what we have seen with our own eyes, giving some credence that the experts know more than us simple folk, then it is most definitely prudent to plan for an increase in sea levels for sure. That will diminish the land mass available for cultivation and habitation bringing it's own additional pressures on how we live.

So back to my point in post  31192,  "So everybody in Bangkok take note, or should I say buy a boat."

2 hours ago, gummy said:

So back to my point in post  31192,  "So everybody in Bangkok take note, or should I say buy a boat."

Or move to higher ground. 

Those who can afford to are already buying in Korat or Isaan or Chiang Mai with an eye to the future.  2011 floods were a catalyst and with sea levels rising + Bangkok sinking, it's not surprising that we see so many new projects in the north.

I wonder how cities like London and Venice will fare with their ocean 'barriers' and will Bangkok plan similar dikes and mechanical barriers?  Or is there a hidden agenda for those submarines. ?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

22 minutes ago, KaptainRob said:

Or move to higher ground. 

Those who can afford to are already buying in Korat or Isaan or Chiang Mai with an eye to the future.  2011 floods were a catalyst and with sea levels rising + Bangkok sinking, it's not surprising that we see so many new projects in the north.

I wonder how cities like London and Venice will fare with their ocean 'barriers' and will Bangkok plan similar dikes and mechanical barriers?  Or is there a hidden agenda for those submarines. ?

Given the project time frames for designing and constructing major projects to protect Bangkok, and as there are no current viable government plans currently,  then who knows if it is already too late to protect Bangkok or not, depends on what the rate of sea level rise will actually turn out to be.

39 minutes ago, KaptainRob said:

{snipped}

You mentioning the floods in 2011 jogged my memory. I was working in Bangkok at the time, in Bang Na which was completely dry, as was Swampy. There were other more central areas we kept seeing on the news that were flooded for days.

9 minutes ago, Bluesofa said:

There were other more central areas we kept seeing on the news that were flooded for days.

We drove thru from Phuket en route to Isaan during the worst of it and was surprised how dry central Bangkok was.  This map shows how high flooding combined with high tides or sea level rise may affect the city >

26floodmap.jpg

• Like 1

Turning into a hot topic is this now though I tend to steer clear as these debates always get heated , but I am warming to the theory now .. 

• Haha 1

56 minutes ago, Bluesofa said:

You mentioning the floods in 2011 jogged my memory. I was working in Bangkok at the time, in Bang Na which was completely dry, as was Swampy. There were other more central areas we kept seeing on the news that were flooded for days.

My house in Don Mueang was flooded for 3 months

23 minutes ago, gummy said:

My house in Don Mueang was flooded for 3 months

Is that big flood mitigation tunnel and pumping system working ok or not yet tested?  I seem to recall someone forgot to turn it on last time there was an emergency.  

There's a possibility of flooding this year if a tropical depression dumps over central regions which may do nothing for the dam levels, just cause erosion and loss of crops.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1