News Forum - Chiang Mai tourism expects rebound despite hotel booking slump

Thaiger

Chiang Mai, once bustling with tourists, has been grappling with a slump in hotel bookings as recorded on Wednesday. The Northern Thai Hotels Association advisor, La-iad Bungsrithong, disclosed that the reservations were only 30% full compared to the beginning of April last year. However, she projected a silver lining in the looming clouds of despair. … …

The story Chiang Mai tourism expects rebound despite hotel booking slump as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

30% capacity?  Now, where's that declaration of a disaster that's going to hurt tourism there?

Oop, not needed, is it?

piss poor air quality Thailand in general, CM in particular is well known world wide- tourists going elsewhere

2 hours ago, MrStretch said:

30% capacity?  Now, where's that declaration of a disaster that's going to hurt tourism there?

Oop, not needed, is it?

I'd question that 30%

I will be in CM next month and rates were as high as I've seen them

1 hour ago, Marc26 said:

I will be in CM next month and rates were as high as I've seen them

It's that well known Thai business phenomenon. "If I normally make 5,000 baht but I have fewer customers now, I need to raise my rates or keep them high, so that I can make 5,000 baht."

Discounts in order to increase revenue aren't part of the Thai makeup.

3 hours ago, MrStretch said:

It's that well known Thai business phenomenon. "If I normally make 5,000 baht but I have fewer customers now, I need to raise my rates or keep them high, so that I can make 5,000 baht."

Discounts in order to increase revenue aren't part of the Thai makeup.

I disagree with that

One of the best things about Thailand is how discounted hotels can be when they aren't busy

Or not during a busy season

Ever since my smoke experience in Chiang Rai and Chiaing Mai a few years back, I have never gone back.  The Air Quality has killed tourism. No one wants to to stay sheltering in a hotel room. The high level of pollutants combined with the hot sun will kill people.