News Forum - Maine shooting sparks hunt for 40 year old gunman

Thaiger

A man armed with a rifle stormed a bar and restaurant, resulting in at least 16 deaths and at least 50 injuries in Lewiston, Maine, US. The shooting incident occurred yesterday at 6.56pm local time (5.56am Thailand time) at a restaurant and a bowling alley, according to local police. The suspect has been named as … …

The story Maine shooting sparks hunt for 40 year old gunman as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

7 hours ago, TheDirtyDurian said:

Sorry this should have been a response to Khunmark.

You have a point but I would say yes, it's newsworthy.

Mass shootings are tragic events with a lot of people very interested in causes, possible prevention, solutions etc.

Your point is taken, it has became so frequent as to almost no longer be news, even still...

Edited by rkhguy
  • Like 1

Again another system failure which is often the case in these mass shooting events. 

The shooter had been recently admitted to a mental health facility which should have automatically triggered a firearms seizure under State laws.

But remember a famous man once said:

The only thing that stops a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, rkhguy said:

Sorry this should have been a response to Khunmark.

You have a point but I would say yes, it's newsworthy.

Mass shootings are tragic events with a lot of people very interested in causes, possible prevention, solutions etc.

Your point is taken, it has became so frequent as to almost no longer be news, even still...

If by now people do not know the causes, possible prevention, solutions etc… then when? 

39 minutes ago, Manu said:

If by now people do not know the causes, possible prevention, solutions etc… then when? 

Are you asserting that people do know the causes, possible prevention, solutions etc?

Or what?

22 minutes ago, rkhguy said:

Are you asserting that people do know the causes, possible prevention, solutions etc?

Or what?

I am just saying that is after decades and thousands of these mass shoutings in the USA (I guess quite a few thousands since it has been over 500 this year already), why suddenly people could learn anything from todays shooting, or the next one or the one after that? Not asserting anything, it is a forum where people debate so here I am, debating.

1 hour ago, 23RD said:

Again another system failure which is often the case in these mass shooting events. 

The shooter had been recently admitted to a mental health facility which should have automatically triggered a firearms seizure under State laws.

But remember a famous man once said:

The only thing that stops a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun. 

Nope. Maine does not have such a law, often termed a red flag law. The only time  a firearm can be confiscated is if the person  Has been:  (1) Committed involuntarily to a hospital pursuant to an order of the District Court under Title 34‑B, section 3864 because the person was found to present a likelihood of serious harm, as defined under Title 34‑B, section 3801, subsection 4‑A, paragraphs A to C;  

In this specific case, the subject sought  treatment voluntarily for a  2 week period,  and there was no court order to seek treatment.  Common sense would hold that when a man says he is hearing voices and threatens to shoot up a National guard  depot, that the person's firearms should be removed. However, in Maine, the right for the mentally ill to carry firearms is protected.  I can assure you that even though many of the victims are young people, the community will not protest. Maine is ultra pro gun. They make hill billys seem liberal in comparison.

And yes some people apparently had firearms. The circumstances did not lend themselves to a shootout at the OK coral. There probably would have been more casualties had people started returning fire n the crowded bowling alley and bar.  The man was a fire  arms instructor, He probably would have killed anyone who took him on. Close quarters firearms use requires skill and discipline. If you do not practice regularly you usually  shoot an innocent person when  the time goes to engage.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Manu said:

I am just saying that is after decades and thousands of these mass shoutings in the USA (I guess quite a few thousands since it has been over 500 this year already), why suddenly people could learn anything from todays shooting, or the next one or the one after that? Not asserting anything, it is a forum where people debate so here I am, debating.

Oh. I see. You are not asserting anything.

I think after all these shootings people have differing opinions on these things and no consensus has been reached.

So people continue to present opposed viewpoints, so I think this event is newsworthy.

Does it generate interest, here we are in a discussion group not related to the State of Maine and there is interest here.  So again, it seems newsworthy.

Edited by rkhguy

6 minutes ago, rkhguy said:

I am not saying anything on the subject that absolutely everyone knows. The USA is a democracy where people have decided it is everyone’s right to very easily acquire a weapon, so logically of course it is also that easy for the nut cases of that country so the logical result is a huge amount of mass shootings. It is not my assertion, it is what it is. In my country for example, it is extremely difficult to acquire a weapon legally (and it is not quite the same type of deadly weapons neither), so logically also for the nut cases of my country and the result is obviously quasi 0 mass shootings. But doesn’t everyone know that already? Since I know that too,  I presume that apart from those 2 facts, what could possibly today’s mass shooting teach me or anyone? But if you know or have an idea or sn assertion of what could be learned from today’s shooting in the USA that was not possible the last 1000s, please tell me, I am always willing to learn. It is not even a critic wether it is right or wrong the weapon thing in the USA, it doesn’t bother me one bit but since I do not live there nor have plan to live there nor visit that country in the near future.

27 minutes ago, Vigo said:

Nope. Maine does not have such a law, often termed a red flag law. The only time  a firearm can be confiscated is if the person  Has been:  (1) Committed involuntarily to a hospital pursuant to an order of the District Court under Title 34‑B, section 3864 because the person was found to present a likelihood of serious harm, as defined under Title 34‑B, section 3801, subsection 4‑A, paragraphs A to C;  

Thanks for breaking that down Vigo I  understand it  varies from State to State.

29 minutes ago, Vigo said:

And yes some people apparently had firearms. The circumstances did not lend themselves to a shootout at the OK coral. There probably would have been more casualties had people started returning fire n the crowded bowling alley and bar.  The man was a fire  arms instructor, He probably would have killed anyone who took him on. Close quarters firearms use requires skill and discipline. If you do not practice regularly you usually  shoot an innocent person when  the time goes to engage.

Is there a concealed carry provision in Maine?.

I'm aware of CQB but surely in a life and death situation if there had been concealed carry holders someone would of returned fire in self preservation. 

I think this is where people outside the US get confused as firearms laws vary from State to State. 

1 hour ago, rkhguy said:

I think after all these shootings people have differing opinions on these things and no consensus has been reached.

So people continue to present opposed viewpoints, so I think this event is newsworthy.

Does it generate interest, here we are in a discussion group not related to the State of Maine and there is interest here.  So again, it seems newsworthy.

Ok, you edited your comment after I posted my response to the original one. Ok I see now. Thanks.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, 23RD said:

Thanks for breaking that down Vigo I  understand it  varies from State to State.

Is there a concealed carry provision in Maine?.

I'm aware of CQB but surely in a life and death situation if there had been concealed carry holders someone would of returned fire in self preservation. 

I think this is where people outside the US get confused as firearms laws vary from State to State. 

Maine has a liberal provision in respect to concealed weapon. Although, the incident facts are still developing here, I offer that it is likely that  one or more adults may have been carrying, or had access to a firearm particularly in the bar (e.g. a manager). However, I have a feeling that events occurred so fast that no one had time to react and if they did, would not have had a clear target. It looks like the now deceased killer really caught people by surprise. The bowling alley was hosting kids night out. They would not have been carrying  a firearm.

2 hours ago, Vigo said:

Maine has a liberal provision in respect to concealed weapon. Although, the incident facts are still developing here, I offer that it is likely that  one or more adults may have been carrying, or had access to a firearm particularly in the bar (e.g. a manager). However, I have a feeling that events occurred so fast that no one had time to react and if they did, would not have had a clear target. It looks like the now deceased killer really caught people by surprise. The bowling alley was hosting kids night out. They would not have been carrying  a firearm.

Good point there Vigo as a fairly rural area the last thing the Patrons of Bar would have been expecting would be a mass shooting event. 

Let's hope for some transparency in the investigation unlike the Tranny mass shooter Audrey Hale in Tennesee who's manifesto still hasn't been released. 

Americans as a whole, are exactly what people accuse them of being 

Ignorant, arrogant and one a lot of people don't accuse them of, apathetic 

Those are the reasons this will never change and the supposed "Greatest Country in the World" will always be the only country that this happens on a consistent basis

And they will still have the audacity to look down on other countries while claiming they are the greatest

While kids get blown away at school 

And they won't care until it's their kid or family member who gets blown away 

I moved out of the US in 2004

But I don't know how any parents with the means doesn't leave 

It is negligent to raise your kids there, IMO