News Forum - Iraqi man arrested for overstaying in Thailand for nearly 15 years

Thaiger

Immigration police officers arrested an Iraqi man in the central province of Kanchanaburi today after almost 15 years of overstaying in Thailand. As part of a concerted effort to root out illegal immigrants across the country, Thai authorities, led by the Royal Thai Police and Immigration Bureau, meticulously investigated cases in each province. The meticulous … …

The story Iraqi man arrested for overstaying in Thailand for nearly 15 years as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

Except overstaying what other crimes did he commit

How did he live? What income did he have. You cannot live  from washers,you need money

Just interested to know  

• Like 1

Each time a foreigner check-in to any hotel, villa or hostel their particulars are entered into the system. The person entering the details into the system has to enter the date of entry to the country as per the immigration entry in the passport. Are they saying that they failed to track him for the past 15 years because he is very smart in hiding himself from the system? Something doesn't make sense at all. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ramanathan.P said:

Each time a foreigner check-in to any hotel, villa or hostel their particulars are entered into the system. The person entering the details into the system has to enter the date of entry to the country as per the immigration entry in the passport. Are they saying that they failed to track him for the past 15 years because he is very smart in hiding himself from the system? Something doesn't make sense at all. 

I live in a house, nobody checks me? 

45 minutes ago, Pinetree said:

I live in a house, nobody checks me? 

As per the law in Thailand, the house owner has to inform the authorities regarding the tenant who is renting his/her house. Unless it is own property where the person is staying, then different story. That is my understanding. 

23 minutes ago, Ramanathan.P said:

As per the law in Thailand, the house owner has to inform the authorities regarding the tenant who is renting his/her house. Unless it is own property where the person is staying, then different story. That is my understanding. 

True, but it's my house

4 hours ago, Ramanathan.P said:

Be honest a rigorous campaign by police, could net a lot of farangs, Chinese, and others, but they don't care unless you've been really naughty. 

1 hour ago, palooka said:

Bet it was "FAILURE to do 90 day reporting".  🤣🤣

For some reason I am thinking AI facial recognition from street cameras. But Kanchanaburi is not that hard to cover for watching foreingers. Actually every area is not that hard becaue if one really has noticed, there are police boxes and staitions literally everywhere and they travel thrugh their respective section keeping an eye on all. They almost know everything. Sort of how the CCP set up their neighborhoods and tattle tales. Thailand here also have those sworn in community service civilian police, but not quite police but you do not want to hassle with them because they do yield some power control

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Karolyn said:

Be honest a rigorous campaign by police, could net a lot of farangs, Chinese, and others, but they don't care unless you've been really naughty. 

you are really missing the point why they dont have a "rigorous campaign" there is no money in that, 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, TheDirtyDurian said:

Maybe he fell out with someone and they grassed him up. 

Like somebody I knew riding his motorbike down the road straight into a police road block, idiot! he had been 4 years overstay, 

Thailand must be the only country in the world where overstaying without engaging in criminal activities makes you look like a hard core criminal. Wonder what all the Thai's in all corners of the world overstaying and working illegally have to say about this .

• Like 1

This is just the tip of a very big iceberg and the authorities know it. A concerted effort would net thousands of overstayers and illegal entrants but like everything else unless there is an earner in it for the police there is no will to do it. I wonder who this guy p*ssed off to generate some police action? Someone with a bit of influence or money I suspect.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Karolyn said:

It is all a show and tell allias horse and pony show. They really don't care as is all smoke and mirror PR. But yes indeed they need to have the proverbial fall person bust to have PR showing that they are proactive.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Lowseasonlover said:

Like somebody I knew riding his motorbike down the road straight into a police road block, idiot! he had been 4 years overstay, 

Money talks or you don't walk.

30 minutes ago, Donald said:

Thailand must be the only country in the world where overstaying without engaging in criminal activities makes you look like a hard core criminal. Wonder what all the Thai's in all corners of the world overstaying and working illegally have to say about this .

Ask the ones who got caught in Korea.

4 hours ago, HolyCowCm said:

Thailand here also have those sworn in community service civilian police, but not quite police but you do not want to hassle with them because they do yield some power control

Had one run in with one of these "would be if could be".

He found out that my wife has a higher reach, and respect, than he or those he reports to, will ever have.

Embarrassing sometimes now.

1 hour ago, ChrisS said:

This is just the tip of a very big iceberg and the authorities know it. A concerted effort would net thousands of overstayers and illegal entrants but like everything else unless there is an earner in it for the police there is no will to do it. I wonder who this guy p*ssed off to generate some police action? Someone with a bit of influence or money I suspect.

Thai Immigration Police are so wound up in their stupid 90-day reports etc etc, that are only punitive to the honest Expats who want only a quiet life, they have no time, no manpower, to actually go after the real breakers of their sometimes-inane rules.

Those 3 million plus expats that do the right thing here and contribute an estimated 35 billion baht to the Thai economy every year are treated like criminals.

How many thousands of hours are spent on 90 day reporting? It's not just the time to report, sometimes a few minutes if you have a sensible reporting officer, but that officer has to sign in even if only one expat  reports in 7-8 hours.

Sometimes wonder how this place survives with arse up rules.

Anyone ever found out where the ginormous warehouse is that receives those mountains of copies we submit every year? So big it probably has its own Province.

God forbid it have a fire. Would burn longer than hell.🤣

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, palooka said:

Had one run in with one of these "would be if could be".

He found out that my wife has a higher reach, and respect, than he or those he reports to, will ever have.

Embarrassing sometimes now.

Sounds vindictive coming. F- Her

12 hours ago, Karolyn said:

Would cops care even then? (Paperwork) 

Dunno, maybe if they get a cut of the fines? And a 15 year overstay at standard rates would one hell of a fine.

12 hours ago, Donald said:

I doubt they know or care.